Windows 10: Unable to boot after mbr2gpt conversion, recovery drive missing

Discus and support Unable to boot after mbr2gpt conversion, recovery drive missing in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; HelloContext in case it mattersI’m working on an older Samsung computer that I’ve been updating for my mom. I was able to upgrade from Windows 7 to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ronelz, Nov 10, 2023.

1. Ronelz Win User

Unable to boot after mbr2gpt conversion, recovery drive missing

HelloContext in case it mattersI’m working on an older Samsung computer that I’ve been updating for my mom. I was able to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I then upgraded the ram and installed a 250gb SSD. There was an issue with the graphics card Intel hd graphics 3000 but it worked fine as long as I used the basic microsoft driver. I created a restore point. So far so good.I tried to create a backup to the old HD but kept getting the message that there was insufficient space. I deleted some fonts from the System partition, so 43mb free space. Still failed. I then tried to convert th

:)

Ronelz, Nov 10, 2023
  2. rheide99 Win User

Can't boot after running mbr2gpt

Hello all. I was recently working on upgrading one of my workstations from Window 10 to Windows 11. The first step should have been making a backup, but of course I skipped that. I ran mbr2gpt /validate - Validation completed successfully Then I ran mbr2gpt /validate /allowFullOS - Validation completed successfully Finally I ran mbr2gpt /convert and here is what it kicked out: MBR2GPT: Attempting to validate disk 0 MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of diskMBR2GPT: MBR2GPT: Validating layout, disk sector size is: 512 bytes MBR2GPT: Trying to shrink the OS partition MBR2GPT: Creating the EFI system partition MBR2GPT: Installing the new boot files MBR2GPT: Performing the layout conversion MBR2GPT: Migrating default boot entry MBR2GPT: Adding recovery boot entry MBR2GPT: Fixing drive letter mapping MBR2GPT: Conversion completed successfully Call WinReReapir to repair WinRE MBR2GPT: Failed to update ReAgent.xml, please try to manually disable and enable WinRE. MBR2GPT: Before the new system can boot properly you need to switch the firmware to boot to UEFI mode! I then went into the bios and changed to UEFI and enabled Secure Boot but Windows was unable to boot. I attepted startup repair - no luck. I then tried to start with a Windows 10 install disk. When I did this, I was unable to see the drives. I then changed back from UEFI to Legacy and started up with the Windows 10 install disk. Now I could see the disks. I ran chkdsk /r and then rebooted Instead of Windows loading, I'm getting a softthings technologies display that shows when the drive was erased (from before we purchased it). Strange. Just as an FYI - it shows this data if it is helpful Dell Precision 5820 Tower NVMe PC601 NVMe SK hynix 512 GB - 476.94 GB - NVME ( - MBR) NVMe Micron 2200S NvMe 1024GB - 953.87 GB - NVME( - MBR) [] - 0.00 GB - Unknown (C - MBR) As I'm writing this, I'm running clonezilla to backup the data from the drive. This thread appears to be identical to my issue: Need Help with MBR2GPT But the issue is, if I'm stil in UEFI, I can run reagentc /info BUT I can't run the following: reagentc /disable reagentc /enable I've still got about 30 minutes left before my backups are done but would love to get your feedback. Thanks in advance!

rheide99, Nov 10, 2023
  3. How can I migrate a Windows 10 from BIOS/MBR boot to UEFI/GPT without reinstalling?

In Windows 10 v1703 (Creators Update, Build 15063), there is a tool called MBR2GPT.EXE included which does all steps.

Best is to boot from a Win10 v1703 DVD/USB drive to the repair option (WinPE) and run Command prompt (cmd.exe) under repair options. Now use diskpart and list command to see all drives.

Now look or the disk number where your Windows is installed. This number is important for next step. Now run mbr2gpt /convert /disk:ID with the ID:

Now, reboot the PC, enter the UEFI and change the mode from BIOS/legacy to UEFI only:

Unable to boot after mbr2gpt conversion, recovery drive missing d9qmk.png

Now save the changes, reboot and Windows 10 should boot. When you run msinfo32.exe you should see that Windows 10 runs now in UEFI mode.

magicandre1981, Nov 10, 2023
  4. Unable to boot after mbr2gpt conversion, recovery drive missing

Missing Recovery partions - is that a problem?

In preparation for converting my boot drive from MBR to GPT I ran Disk Management and noticed I have no Recovery partition. This has caused no problem or I would have noticed it before, but is it going to be problematic in the future? MBR2GPT /validate reported no problem so I assume the conversion will work but I would rather fix things that need fixing before doing the conversion.

BTW, my test PC had two recovery partitions (which did cause MBR2GPT to choke) so this all averages out, I guess.

pokeefe0001, Nov 10, 2023
Thema:

Unable to boot after mbr2gpt conversion, recovery drive missing

1. Unable to boot after mbr2gpt conversion, recovery drive missing - Similar Threads - Unable boot mbr2gpt

2. Unable to boot after mbr2gpt conversion, recovery drive missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot after mbr2gpt conversion, recovery drive missing: HelloContext in case it mattersI’m working on an older Samsung computer that I’ve been updating for my mom. I was able to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I then upgraded the ram and installed a 250gb SSD. There was an issue with the graphics card Intel hd graphics 3000...
  3. Unable to boot after mbr2gpt conversion, recovery drive missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to boot after mbr2gpt conversion, recovery drive missing: HelloContext in case it mattersI’m working on an older Samsung computer that I’ve been updating for my mom. I was able to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I then upgraded the ram and installed a 250gb SSD. There was an issue with the graphics card Intel hd graphics 3000...
  4. Issues concerning MBR2GPT conversion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues concerning MBR2GPT conversion: I was following the tutorial provided on the official Microsoft page, concerning mbr2gpt conversion, everything was fine, and I was able to /validate and /convert using FullOs. After the conversion finished I got a success message in the cmd window, with an error that the...
  5. Issues concerning MBR2GPT conversion

Issues concerning MBR2GPT conversion: I was following the tutorial provided on the official Microsoft page, concerning mbr2gpt conversion, everything was fine, and I was able to /validate and /convert using FullOs. After the conversion finished I got a success message in the cmd window, with an error that the...
  6. Issues concerning MBR2GPT conversion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. MBR2GPT error and successful conversion without losing data .

MBR2GPT error and successful conversion without losing data .: Respected Everyone.... i want to convert my disk 0 from MBR to GPT , i first tried to validate using mbr2gpt tool and the validation showed " Disk layout validation failed for disk 0" but i currently run windows 21h1. The other part of the error was that it showed...
  8. MBR2GPT.exe conversion recovery

MBR2GPT.exe conversion recovery: Hello, Microsoft Community. After I updated my INSYDE BIOS to the latest version 3.6 in my Toshiba satellite laptop, I noticed my BIOS mode is set to Legacy. In the process of changing to UEFI mode, I realised my motherboard doesn't support UEFI in the first placeso stupid...
  9. MBR2GPT conversion error "please remove the write protection"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR2GPT conversion error "please remove the write protection": so I'm doing the GPT conversion on a laptop booted into windows. I run /convert /allowfullos it creates the new partition but from there i get the message saying the disk cannot be written to because it is write protected. Please remove the write protection from the volume...
  10. MBR2GPT - recovery possibility preparation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR2GPT - recovery possibility preparation: Hi! I'm about to change my windows 10 pro x64 from legacy to uefi using mbr2gpt. It is quite big change to to basic structure. I'm thinking now how to get back if something goes wrong in this process. If I take from windows 10 "windows 7 backup and restore" based system...