Windows 10: Unable to boot after Windows update

Discus and support Unable to boot after Windows update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Yesterday, I had installed minor Windows update I don't remember the exact version, it was some minor update to my 1903 Windows. When update installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by A_Poplas, Jul 16, 2020.

1. A_Poplas Win User

Unable to boot after Windows update

Yesterday, I had installed minor Windows update I don't remember the exact version, it was some minor update to my 1903 Windows. When update installed and requested restart, I had restarted the computer, but booted into another OS I have on separate HDD. I continued to work on the other OS till shutdown.
    Today I turned up the computer and noticed Windows boot options were gone. I booted into the other OS and noticed the disk containing Windows is unmounted. On my other Windows computer, I created installation media using Media Creation tool and I tried to fix start-up problems with no success. I then launched command prompt and using diskpart found the following:
    - The SSD disk on which Windows is installed is detected
    - The volume containing Windows and other files is nowhere to be seen there are only EFI, and two other partitions both only few 100MB big.
    - Checking upon SSD's partitions, one of them is System 200MB - EFI, the 222GB one the only which is probably containing Windows and other files is Unknown, one 100MB is System and last one with 474MB is recovery.

I also assigned a letter to EFI, changing directory to it and running tree command, only to be greeted with "0 subfolders" message.

I'm not sure if this is Windows update's fault or may something gone wrong while I was working in another OS altough I didn't fiddle with any system files.

Thanks for your assistance.

:)

A_Poplas, Jul 16, 2020

2. Windows XP Error: Could not Boot after update

repairing windows will just fix any damaged files, id suggest taking off your over clocking settings the try booting in, maybe when you updated you also updated some censoring device which is now causing you a problem with your over clock settings.

jocksteeluk, Jul 16, 2020
  3. Darshan J Win User
    Windows update failed and unable to boot

Hi Chrissy,

To assist you better help us with the information below.

• Have you made any recent software/hardware changes to the computer?
    • Do you get any error message or code when trying to boot into the computer?
    When installing updates it puts message “Do not shut down your machine”, if you unplug the AC adapter or turn off the computer Chances are:

• Windows resuming the installation process next time you shutdown.
    • A non-vital program file becomes corrupted and causes some feature of the OS to become unusable and crash.
    As an initial step I would suggest you to unplug all external devices if connected and then try to boot the computer by plugging in the AC adapter and check if you are able to boot the computer.

If the computer boots make sure all the updates are installed and then you can login to user Interface.

If you still not able to unable to get the in Windows Bootable environment I Would suggest you contact your manufacturer.

Get back to us if your require more help on this query.

Thank you.

Darshan J, Jul 16, 2020
  4. Unable to boot after Windows update

Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

Unable to boot after Windows update

1. Unable to boot after Windows update - Similar Threads - Unable boot update

2. Unable to boot after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot after Windows update: I've been running Windows 11. After an attempted windows update yesterday to 22H2, I'm unable to fully boot. It never gets to the Windows logo and tries to repair itself and fails during startup. I can still open a terminal, view all the files, etc. and have a bootable USB I...
  3. Unable to boot after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot after Windows update: I've been running Windows 11. After an attempted windows update yesterday to 22H2, I'm unable to fully boot. It never gets to the Windows logo and tries to repair itself and fails during startup. I can still open a terminal, view all the files, etc. and have a bootable USB I...
  4. Boot loop after Update to 20H2 - unable to start Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Boot loop after Update to 20H2 - unable to start Windows: Hello. I was running Windows 1909 on my Thinkpad x260. Windows forced me to install the update to 20H2, saying my current Windows would be out-of-service, and not giving me an option to delay. During the install process, it has now got stuck in a boot loop. That means, it...
  5. Laptop unable to boot after ( official ) update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop unable to boot after ( official ) update: So my win 10 laptop ( hp spectre ) running the stock OS downloaded updates ( automatically ) yesterday When I started it today it started installing the updates and as I could see it failed so it said something on the line of reverting to previous state After that my pc...
  6. after windows 10 update, unable to boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after windows 10 update, unable to boot.: Every time it keeps going to recovery options. When i go to advanced options, it asks for password, and when i enter the password, it says incorrect. I tried booting into Safe Mode, but unsuccessful. I tried all options with the Advanced options, but all of them end up with...
  7. Unable to boot PC after installing updates

Unable to boot PC after installing updates: hi up until a few weeks ago my pc was working fine,then while I was out my daughter accepted an update from then on my pc won't load desktop! also task manager. I've tried a couple of youtube options to no avail. I left it as I got stressed now I want it to work. can...
  8. PC unable to boot after update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC unable to boot after update: I have an hp pavilion with an AMD ryzen 3 processer, SSD and HDD, and rx550 gpu. After a Windows 10 update about a week ago, my pc boots in this order: HP splash screen, snow screen (like a tv snow screen), crash, then reboot. I have completed 3 fresh installs of Windows...
  9. Unable to boot the PC after latest Windows Update.

Unable to boot the PC after latest Windows Update.: [IMG]n Every option brings me back here, because it can't troublshoot properly. ***Modified title from: Latest windows update doesn't seem to work. ***...
  10. Unable to boot to Windows 10 after an unfinished update.

Unable to boot to Windows 10 after an unfinished update.: I hope that somebody can help me here because the problem might be quite complex. Anyway, I was downloading an update for windows 10 which was successful. The problem occurred when it was being installed, if you don't know what i mean it's the stage where you're told not to...