Windows 10: Unable to boot - "critical process died"

Discus and support Unable to boot - "critical process died" in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Yesterday i had a BSOD with a driver problem. It would get to the desktop and each time give a "exception not handled" BSOD a few seconds after getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by seven343, Jan 3, 2021.

1. seven343 Win User

Unable to boot - "critical process died"

Yesterday i had a BSOD with a driver problem. It would get to the desktop and each time give a "exception not handled" BSOD a few seconds after getting to desktop. I was able to boot into safe mode fine though, so uninstalled my graphics drivers. The problem still carried on, so i did a restore point.

It didn't fix it. Now the problem has got worse, and it's instead a "critical process died" BSOD after the motherboard logo on boot, it doesn't even get to the login screen. Safe mode now does not work either. Safe mode causes the same BSOD of critical process died.

I am able to get into the WindowsRE screen. Everything I have tried from there has been unsucessful.

I have tried using the windowsRE screen:

• System restore point to an earlier date. It gives error 0x80070002.
    • The Automatic repair on startup says it couldn't fix it. The log it provides says it can't figure out what's causing the problem, each test there succeeds.
    • startup repair doesn't fix it
    • Reset PC option says there were problems reseting and it can't do it.
    • Sfc /scannow verifies it with the first part, but then stops and says windows resource protection could not perform it.
    • Chkdsk on the boot drive x mentions there are errors in the upper case file
    • Chhkdsk /f cannot fix because it says the X drive cannot be locked and is write protected
    • DISM commands say cannot run in windows PE

My files are all still there. I have been able to connect the SSD to another PC and access it that way to retrieve files, and scanning the C: drive showed no problems either. So it seems it's problems with the boot section specifically.

I have no idea what to do about this. I've tried everything I can find.

:)

seven343, Jan 3, 2021

2. critical process died in windows 10

Hi,

To resolve your concern about the critical process died in Windows 10, we suggest that you do the system diagnostics. Here are the steps:

• Boot your computer and continuously press ESC key on your keyboard until you reach the
      Startup menu.
    • From the Startup menu, press F2 (or whatever the designated key is) for
      System Diagnostics.
    • Use arrow keys to navigate and choose Hard Drive Check.
    • Choose Extensive Check.
    Allow it to finish then boot your computer as normal.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Jan 3, 2021
  3. singh Win User
    Critical Process Died on windows 10 setup

Ive just opened event viewer as you suggested but I cant seem to find any error that says "critical process died"
    Unable to boot - "critical process died" [​IMG]

I have attached a screenshot of the event viewer. I have scrolled to the bottom to where it first booted up.

Ive downloaded the software you sent the link for but I'm not sure how to use it as nothing shows up when I load it.

singh, Jan 3, 2021
  4. Unable to boot - "critical process died"

Kapil Arya MVP, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

Unable to boot - "critical process died"

1. Unable to boot - "critical process died" - Similar Threads - Unable boot critical

2. Unable to boot - “critical process died” Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot - “critical process died” Windows 10: A few days ago I ran I to a BSOD loop of a bunch of different errors which I didn’t really document. Eventually, I did something which stopped them but now I am greeted with the same error every time I try to boot - “critical process died”. I’ve tried a bunch of things but...
  3. Unable to boot - “critical process died” Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot - “critical process died” Windows 10: A few days ago I ran I to a BSOD loop of a bunch of different errors which I didn’t really document. Eventually, I did something which stopped them but now I am greeted with the same error every time I try to boot - “critical process died”. I’ve tried a bunch of things but...
  4. Unable to boot - “critical process died” Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 pro unable to boot - critical process died

Windows 10 pro unable to boot - critical process died: im on a windows 10 pro 64bit desktopit says BSOD "critical process died"i cant boot my computer becuase of this error. this has to be free fixplease help...
  6. Windows 10 pro unable to boot - critical process died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pro unable to boot - critical process died: im on a windows 10 pro 64bit desktopit says BSOD "critical process died"i cant boot my computer becuase of this error. this has to be free fixplease help...
  7. Windows 10 pro unable to boot - critical process died

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Critical process died boot loop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Critical process died boot loop: Hi guys, i just have this bsod everytime i booted to my windows 64bit os+some ram issues that i fixed by removing 1 stick and wont even boot to safe modeI fixed the issue by booting to my 32 bit system via dualboot but still any thoughts about my problemIt boots normally...
  9. CRITICAL PROCESS DIED CANNOT BOOT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CRITICAL PROCESS DIED CANNOT BOOT: So I got this error yesterday and Ive tried EVERYTHING and nothing is working. I don't know what to do and saying all the things I tried would make this thread endless. I'm using a desktop and I have no access to the hone screen and I cannot boot into safe mode...
  10. Unable to boot PC, BSOD - Critical Process died

Unable to boot PC, BSOD - Critical Process died: The problem: When I start my PC, Windows fails to boot and I get a blue screen with "Stop code: Critical process died". I am unable to enter the desktop. It then restarts and attempts an automatic repair, but fails and takes me to the Recovery Environment Here, I tried many...