Windows 10: Unable to boot from C drive

Discus and support Unable to boot from C drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a 5 yr old custom built machine by Digital Storm. Specs as follows: AMD-FX-6300, 6 cores; MSI MB-970A-G43 Plus; 32 GB DDR3 /RAM; Nvidia GeForce... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Oz1956, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Oz1956 Win User

Unable to boot from C drive

This is a 5 yr old custom built machine by Digital Storm. Specs as follows: AMD-FX-6300, 6 cores; MSI MB-970A-G43 Plus; 32 GB DDR3 /RAM; Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti; Windows 10 Home, v 2004. This is my brother's machine which I do most of the upkeep on. The other day I put 2 sticks of DDR3 8GB RAM into his machine, the we fired up the machine and there was a message about hitting the F1 key (?) F2 key for default settings. We chose option 2 and nothing has been right since. System did it's whirly-gig-thingy, then restarted and went straight to Windows Repair. Claimed it couldn't repair, options were to shut down or Advance settings. Every shut down and restart was the same. I went into the BIOS to check the booting order. It wasn't a lot of help, since his BIOS doesn't give a drive name, just a boot manager disk. Two years ago, I reinstalled windows on both our machines using an 256 GB SSD. That is all we use the SSD's for. Kept our HDDs for games and other info. He has a 1TB HDD he uses as L drive and for some odd reason, his system is trying to boot from that HDD. I checked his disk manager and the L drive is listed as disk 0 and his C drive which is the SSD is listed as disk 1. I am not sure how to correct this. Nothing works in the BIOS screen, seeing how I don't see the SSD listed anywhere in the boot sequence. I've got ideas, but I'm afraid of really messing something up, so I though I would come to the experts to see how to correct this. I can boot his machine to windows by hitting F11 on the logo screen and clicking on his SSDin the list and It loads right up. I thought the C drive was suppose to be disk 0. I am sure a clean install would be the first choice, but I am really trying to figure out what went wrong. Sorry, this is so long. I'm just very frustrated.

:)

Oz1956, Jun 26, 2021

2. Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jun 26, 2021
  3. Unable to boot the PC

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are unable to boot the PC. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the make and model of the PC?

• Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

I would suggest you to export and delete the BCD store and rebuild the BCD store. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Create
      a bootable media
      and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On
      the initial setup screen, select the language and other
      preferences
      and click on Next. (If you don't see the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.)
    3. Now,
      click on Repair your computer.
    4. On
      the System Recovery Options screen, select Troubleshoot>
      Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    5. Now
      type in the commands and hit Enter:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h –r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jun 26, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

GPT disk conversion for both data drives and C drive

Macrium Rescue disk can be used to convert from MBR to GPT and vice versa without doing a fresh install of Windows.

1. Download Rescue6.1.1081X64.iso - Google Drive and use Rufus to create a bootable USB disk. Skip this step if you've already created the Macrium Rescue disk.
    2. Download: BootEFI_Only-00-00.zip - Google Drive . Unzip to an external or an internal HD
      NOTE:
      This is a copy of the first 3 partitions of my current Windows 10 x64 (450MB Recovery, 100MB EFI and 16MB MSR)
    3. Boot up Macrium Rescue disk and create a backup of your current Windows to another internal/external HD. It serves 2 purposes: you'd have a backup of your current Windows in case things go wrong and then use it to restore the C drive on the next steps.
    4. Next, switch the BIOS to UEFI and use Macrium to restore the first 3 partitions downloaded in step 2 to your current MBR Windows. No need to convert or Format, Macrium will do it.
    5. Again with Macrium, select the backup image from step 3, and copy back the C drive after the 3 partitions.
      After this step, you should have: 450MB, 100MB, 16MB and C drive (GPT partition scheme)
    6. From Macrium, click on Fix the Windows Boot Problems
    7. Reboot. Your Windows should be in UEFI mode.

topgundcp, Jun 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Unable to boot from C drive - Similar Threads - Unable boot drive

2. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.: Hello,Im in the process of trying to sell my desktop unit but I need to get the computer info a fit enough state for anyone to take it. The main drawback I have is that for some reason I am unable to copy files from my external hard drive to the c drive. For some files it...
  3. Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!: Been trying to upgrade my main drive from a 256gb nvme to a 512g nvme. I've tried using both AOMEI Backupper and making an image of the drive using a Live CD of Linux but both don't work, When i boot with the cloned 512gb nvme it says that "files are missing" and it wont get...
  4. Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!: Been trying to upgrade my main drive from a 256gb nvme to a 512g nvme. I've tried using both AOMEI Backupper and making an image of the drive using a Live CD of Linux but both don't work, When i boot with the cloned 512gb nvme it says that "files are missing" and it wont get...
  5. Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. How to seperate boot partition from c drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to seperate boot partition from c drive: Earlier my pc had both boot and primary partition seperated from each other but now when i formatted it... It was a single partition. How can i seperate boot and primary partition submitted by /u/DarkIncorp [link] [comments]...
  7. Unable To Extend C Drive

Unable To Extend C Drive: Hi, I have been trying to extend my C boot drive using the disk management tool, as it only has 120gb, where as my D data drive has 900gb. However, though I can shrink the D drive, it won't allow me to extend the volume of the C drive. I've downloaded various partition...
  8. Unable to extend C drive

Unable to extend C drive: I have a laptop, I believed I had one disc with to partitions but I now believe I have 2 discs. My C drive is nearly full, I have deleted D drive its now showing as unallocated space. I deleted thinking I could extend but that's not the case. So now I have 250 GB of space I...
  9. Unable to boot from USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot from USB Flash Drive: I just tried to create a bootable USB stick for Macrium Reflect on my Dell AIO. The creation went smoothly as did the boot. When I took that stick to my Acer Laptop and tried to boot it I got a message saying, "Remove disk or other menu" followed by "Press any key to...
  10. PC doesn't boot from C:/ drive

in Windows 10 Support
    PC doesn't boot from C:/ drive: Don't know if this goes here or not but I have a PC that I installed a new mobo and memory on and added a HDD. Ever since the new mobo has been installed, the PC will not boot from the C:/ drive no matter how it's configured in the BIOS of the board. If I boot the PC and...