Windows 10: Unable to boot from Windows drive after removing different drive

Discus and support Unable to boot from Windows drive after removing different drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K OS: Win 10 64 Video: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo Graphic Card TURBO-GTX1080-8G... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ScorpyBrainChip, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Unable to boot from Windows drive after removing different drive

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA
    CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
    Video: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo Graphic Card TURBO-GTX1080-8G
    SSD: Samsung 970 EVO SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe x2

Having a bit of a head-scratcher here... I have two M.2 NMVe 2TB hard drives in my Gigabyte motherboard, and no SATA drives connected. Recently the drive with Windows 10 failed, and I found it had bad sectors. I re-installed Windows on the other drive, and removed the old drive from the list of boot drives in msconfig, and everything works fine, and I was able to retrieve the most critical files from the failed drive.

However, I need to send the bad drive to Samsung to have it replaced, and when I remove the drive from the PC, and start the computer, no boot drive is detected. When I open up the BIOS boot manager, it shows an empty line and my drive. Selecting either just brings me back to the same screen. If the other drive is connected, I see both drives and Windows Boot Manager. I don't understand why the Boot Manager is detected when my inactive drive is connected, but not after I remove it.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

ScorpyBrainChip, Jun 24, 2020

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Jun 24, 2020
  3. GKing Win User
    Maxtor Hard Drive Beep

Maxtor drive beeps

Have a similiar situation using a DiamondMax Plus 8, 20GB Mfg Date 4/15/03. Drive used as a second system drive. Drive is recognized in boot menu but not in drive list. Drive is always connected. Computer started locking up for several seconds at a time. Chkdsk on drives and couldn't find that drive. Removed drive from bay to make sure connections were ok and heard the beeping. Shutdown and restart and never got to windows screen. Restarted several times then saw drive in boot menu and Windows loaded but Maxtor not in drive menu. When recognized in boot menu, computer will start but beeps and is not found.

Tried kicking it real hard but no improvement. Any suggestions?

GKing, Jun 24, 2020
  4. 333t Win User

Unable to boot from Windows drive after removing different drive

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

Thema:

Unable to boot from Windows drive after removing different drive

1. Unable to boot from Windows drive after removing different drive - Similar Threads - Unable boot drive

2. Will not boot from a different drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will not boot from a different drive: I am on Windows 10. I originally had two drives, a storage ssd and a smaller boot ssd. I just installed a brand new m.2 in my machine, and installed windows on it. I tried to format my original boot ssd afterwards, but to no avail. The new drive boot into Windows once upon...
  3. Will not boot from a different drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will not boot from a different drive: I am on Windows 10. I originally had two drives, a storage ssd and a smaller boot ssd. I just installed a brand new m.2 in my machine, and installed windows on it. I tried to format my original boot ssd afterwards, but to no avail. The new drive boot into Windows once upon...
  4. Will not boot from a different drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to boot from C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot from C drive: This is a 5 yr old custom built machine by Digital Storm. Specs as follows: AMD-FX-6300, 6 cores; MSI MB-970A-G43 Plus; 32 GB DDR3 /RAM; Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti; Windows 10 Home, v 2004. This is my brother's machine which I do most of the upkeep on. The other day I put 2...
  6. after cloning a hard drive, both drives are now unable to be booted from

after cloning a hard drive, both drives are now unable to be booted from: when trying to boot from either drive, both claim there is no operating system despite there obviously being one. when I try to install a fresh copy of windows, the installer tells me that I need to use a gpt partition. when using a gpt partition the installer claims it...
  7. Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive: I stupidly caused a problem by booting into my old system drive while having my current primary system drive connected. First time trying to boot into my primary drive I got a "An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction." error message after which windows attempted...
  8. Unable to Remove Drive from Storage Pool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Remove Drive from Storage Pool: Hello, I'm trying to remove a storage drive from a Microsoft Storage Space pool. It is the only drive in the pool and I did not set the drive up to be in a pool in the first place. Now I'm having issues with some software that is not compatible with storage spaces and...
  9. Set windows to boot from a different drive (from a clone of Windows)

in Windows 10 Support
    Set windows to boot from a different drive (from a clone of Windows): I have cloned my windows operating system from an SSD to the hard-drive on my laptop. I now want to boot my machine from this cloned version of windows on the hard-drive. In the 'old days' I have been battling with the BIOS settings and Windows Boot Manager - but can't work...
  10. Windows Boot and Windows on different drives

Windows Boot and Windows on different drives: Before installing Windows 10 I clean reinstalled my Windows 7 onto a new SSD but inadvertently left my BIOS boot drive as my old HDD. Now I find that I have my windows 10 boot files in the HDD and the rest of the OS on the SSD, so I am still dependant on that old HDD. It's...