Windows 10: Unable to boot my new computer with my old drive .

Discus and support Unable to boot my new computer with my old drive . in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hope you guys can help Have just updated my old computer with a new M/B, GPU, CPU & Ram. Put in my old SSD which has win 10 installed with all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Trekkie1, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Trekkie1 Win User

Unable to boot my new computer with my old drive .

Hope you guys can help

Have just updated my old computer with a new M/B, GPU, CPU & Ram.

Put in my old SSD which has win 10 installed with all my programs, when I went to boot up my computer it went straight to uefi bios & settings say there is no boot device, although it shows my drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ben.

:)

Trekkie1, Aug 5, 2020
  2. GlynParry Win User

Old Hard drive to new hard drive

I now have my old hard drive converted to an external drive and am wondering what is the best way to move files from the old to the new. I was thinking of booting the old drive and saving the files I want to the cloud and then downloading them to my new
    computer. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

GlynParry, Aug 5, 2020
  3. Boot from old hard drive

The motherboard of my old computer died suddenly and so I bought a new computer. It has two 1TB HDDs on RAID 0 and comes preinstalled with Windows 10 Home. I wanted my computer to boot from my old 120GB SSD from my old computer but it doesn't seem to recognize it as boot drive. It was working perfectly with my old computer.

I can view files from the SSD and so this confirms that it is working. The boot partition is marked active.

I tried changing the boot hard drive in the bios but in the bios, the only two options shown in the boot menu are

• Windows Boot Manager (Intel Volume1)
    • CD/DVDRW

After searching online, a website suggested swapping the Sata of the old hard drive with that of the new one. I tried even this but this didn't work either. It gave me the error "boot disk not found" and in the boot menu, the only option was "CD/DVDRW".

For Reference :

Motherboard : ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

All Hard Drives Run GPT.

Any other solutions?

Don't Root here plz..., Aug 5, 2020
  4. Unable to boot my new computer with my old drive .

Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

Unable to boot my new computer with my old drive .

1. Unable to boot my new computer with my old drive . - Similar Threads - Unable boot computer

2. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive: I built a new PC recently and got a new m.2 SSD Which is my new boot drive/ :C Drive. I was wondering if it was safe to take my old PC :C Drive and put it in my new one and wipe it? Will this cause any issues since there would be two drives with windows installed on them?...
  3. Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...: I did a full PC upgrade last night, mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU etc. One of the things I upgraded was my boot drive, from a regular SSD to an NVME drive. I used the Macrium Reflect software to clone the SSD with my legitimate, purchased copy of Windows 10 Home to the new drive,...
  4. Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...: I did a full PC upgrade last night, mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU etc. One of the things I upgraded was my boot drive, from a regular SSD to an NVME drive. I used the Macrium Reflect software to clone the SSD with my legitimate, purchased copy of Windows 10 Home to the new drive,...
  5. Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive: Hi, I've got a problem where my BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive. My laptop currently has two hard drives in it: a 500Gb SSD (OS Drive/C Drive) and a 2Tb HDD (data drive only). My OS Drive had been running out of space and I wanted to upgrade it to a bigger...
  7. My Old computer to a Brand new computer

in Windows 10 Support
    My Old computer to a Brand new computer: I have been running a HP Pavilion P7-1410 with operating version Windows 8.1. 6.3 I went out and bought a New HP Pavilion Both are desktops TP01-0165z operating version Windows 10 version number not sure haven't even hooked it up yet completely brand new.. I also have...
  8. old hard drive and a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    old hard drive and a new computer: I have what I think is a basic question, but I'm not sure. I just bought a new computer. It has not yet arrived. When it does, I want to put my old SSD into the new computer because it has my programs, files, etc. My issue is that the old SSD has Windows 10 installed on...
  9. Put old boot drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Put old boot drive in new computer: So I pulled an old windows 10 boot drive out of a computer and put it in a new build. It won't let me access the user file on that drive. Says "you currently don't have permission to access this folder - click continue to permanently get access to this folder". I click...
  10. Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive: Windows 10 version 1903 I recently decided to finally upgrade my Windows 7 system to Windows 10. I bought a new SSD, removed my old SSD, and installed Windows 10 on the new one. This way I'd be able to go back to my old system if I forgot to back something up or just didn't...