Windows 10: Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive

Discus and support Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I stupidly caused a problem by booting into my old system drive while having my current primary system drive connected. First time trying to boot into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/RGBluePrints, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive

I stupidly caused a problem by booting into my old system drive while having my current primary system drive connected. First time trying to boot into my primary drive I got a "An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction." error message after which windows attempted to fix disk errors and failed. On further attempts windows prepares to fix itself and then says that "Windows didn't start up correctly."

Disk Management picture. Disk 0 is my old system drive that boots correctly and Disk 2 is my primary system drive that isn't booting. Did the boot partition get moved to the old one or something? How would you go about fixing this without reinstalling? Thanks.

submitted by /u/RGBluePrints
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/RGBluePrints, Dec 1, 2020
  2. Caring1 Win User

Windows Booting beep!!

Check the boot order in the BIOS also, it might not have the hard drive as primary in the boot list.

Caring1, Dec 1, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    Can't boot from DVD drive

Is your controller in RAID/AHCI modes? If so, the DVD drive will be listed as a separate device in the list of available boot devices, not as "CDROM". Remember that when setting boot device priority. Otherwise, read the manual to see which hotkey during POST brings up the boot menu that lets you select which device to boot from. Even here, the drive will be listed separately, and not as "CDROM".

btarunr, Dec 1, 2020
  4. OnBoard Win User

Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive

P55A UD3 Problem Booting DVD Drive

You went to bios and selected the dvd drive as first boot up ?) cd-rom doesn't cut it, has to be that exact drive from the list.

OnBoard, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive

1. Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive - Similar Threads - Unable boot primary

2. Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive: Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive on the same computerboth drives installed simultaneously. I can see from diskmanagement that the first drive is no longer recognized as bootable. I tried repairing it using a bootable usb that i created...
  3. Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive: Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive on the same computerboth drives installed simultaneously. I can see from diskmanagement that the first drive is no longer recognized as bootable. I tried repairing it using a bootable usb that i created...
  4. Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to upgrade boot drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to upgrade boot drive.: I am trying to upgrade my boot drive from a 1gig HDD to a 2gig M.2 SSD and am running into issues.Screen shots attached..Using Backup and recover I am trying to make a disk image. It comes up with an error on the drive- when I run repair then re run BU it does the same - so I...
  6. Unable to upgrade boot drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to upgrade boot drive.: I am trying to upgrade my boot drive from a 1gig HDD to a 2gig M.2 SSD and am running into issues.Screen shots attached..Using Backup and recover I am trying to make a disk image. It comes up with an error on the drive- when I run repair then re run BU it does the same - so I...
  7. Unable to Boot to Flash Drive

Unable to Boot to Flash Drive: So far I've tried to boot form a flash drive created by 2 different 3rd party imaging software programs.The BIOS boot order is fine.After restarting I see no 'Press any key to boot to whatever drive...At first I thought it was the program but since neither booted to the flash...
  8. Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive: Hi friends. I am a new member. Thanks for accepting me into the Forum. Yesterday, my HP G61 laptop's HDD finally crashed. I was getting unmountable boot volume error about a year ago, which I fixed by clean installing Win 10. It was ok till yesterday, when the system stopped...
  9. Question about changing primary boot Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about changing primary boot Drive: So I got my M2 Drive in the mail today and cloned my old SATA SSD onto it. Then I went to bios and selected the new M2 Drive as my boot Drive. And I think it worked, keyword think. My issue now is though, I went to try to reformat the old SATA drive to wipe it clean and it's...
  10. Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive: Hi guys, So I'm no longer able to boot into my main drive, but all my files and folders on that drive still look intact. I honestly don't know what went wrong or if there is any way to fix this other than reinstalling Windows. Tried startup repair on my Windows 10...