Windows 10: Unable to boot or repair windows, need a way to extract some data

Discus and support Unable to boot or repair windows, need a way to extract some data in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a copy of Windows 10, I believe version 1803, installed inside ESXi. For some reason, the VM shut down on its own and now I can't boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xilex1, Aug 28, 2020.

1. xilex1 Win User

Unable to boot or repair windows, need a way to extract some data

Hi all, I have a copy of Windows 10, I believe version 1803, installed inside ESXi. For some reason, the VM shut down on its own and now I can't boot it back up (stuck on boot screen with spinny circle, or boot screen with spinny circle and attempting automatic repair). I have a clean install snapshot to revert to, but I'd like to extract some data first.

I tried to boot with the original install ISO to try to repair (repair start up problems), but it could not fix it. There didn't seem to be an option to reset anything besides a clean install. I also tried to mount the VMDK image to browse my files but they didn't seem to show up for some reason, and I'm not sure if it was due to folder permissions or not. For example, I have folder C:\incoming and that doesn't show up. And nothing shows up in C:\Users\me\Downloads.

Anyway, I was wondering if any users can recommend a tool I can use, either to fix the install, or at least get access to a few files that I would like to retrieve. Thanks.

:)

xilex1, Aug 28, 2020

2. Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Aug 28, 2020
  3. pyramid10 Win User
    Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Aug 28, 2020
  4. Unable to boot or repair windows, need a way to extract some data

Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Unable to boot or repair windows, need a way to extract some data

1. Unable to boot or repair windows, need a way to extract some data - Similar Threads - Unable boot repair

2. Unable to extract files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to extract files: Trying to extract files from my phone however it didn't detect at all. Please help me since the files are all in my phone storage. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-extract-files/f2d52976-9abe-4fa7-96e3-0a7bb2367e49
  3. Unable to extract files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to extract files: Trying to extract files from my phone however it didn't detect at all. Please help me since the files are all in my phone storage. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-extract-files/f2d52976-9abe-4fa7-96e3-0a7bb2367e49
  4. Unable to extract files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Unable to Extract folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Extract folder: Hi. I'm trying to extract a zipped folder I made so that I can put it into a Github repository, but when I try to use the built in extraction wizard, it just makes a error. It says "Cannot complete the compressed zipped folders extraction wizard. Access to the compressed...
  6. Unable to Extract folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Extract folder: Hi. I'm trying to extract a zipped folder I made so that I can put it into a Github repository, but when I try to use the built in extraction wizard, it just makes a error. It says "Cannot complete the compressed zipped folders extraction wizard. Access to the compressed...
  7. Unable to Extract folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Windows 10 unable to boot, unable to restore or repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 unable to boot, unable to restore or repair: I'm having an issue with booting Windows 10. The installation previously worked, but now whenever I boot it up, I see the Windows logo, a black screen with a loading wheel, and then a completely black screen with no cursor. It never boots past the black screen. I've tried...
  9. Windows repair not working, unable boot or recover

Windows repair not working, unable boot or recover: I’ve just build my first PC and as well as a new installation of Windows on an NVMe SSD, I’ve kept an older installation of windows on a SATA SSD. Until yesterday, I’ve had no problems using either of them, just hitting F2 and changing the boot drive. It was after “tidying...
  10. infinite boot and unable to access windows repair

infinite boot and unable to access windows repair: In normal bootup i get the infinite loading screen with the HP logo and then black screen for 2 secs and loops. when i tried to hit F11 for recovery mode it says please wait for a minute and then a black screen with a cursor. When i clicked on ESC for start-up options it...