Windows 10: Unable to boot Surface Go after reset

Discus and support Unable to boot Surface Go after reset in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have this Surface Go which made some trouble. I decided to reset, discarding everything (i.e. choosing the option not keeping any files).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rAigner, Jul 25, 2019.

1. rAigner Win User

Unable to boot Surface Go after reset

So I have this Surface Go which made some trouble. I decided to reset, discarding everything (i.e. choosing the option not keeping any files). Following, the screen said "Resetting this PC ..%" or something like that for more than an hour, then it rebooted and asked me to set language and keyboard. So far everything seemed normal. The next screen seemed quite odd in this context, I don't recall exactly but it was the showing some options along the lines of recovering from restore point, going back to previous Windows version, using an external media (DVD, USB, etc.), and the likes. None of them was the one I wanted to do, which was starting to set up Windows. Actually the installation files should have been downloaded anyways, right? I mean, what was it doing all the time? So I put my money on the option "Shutdown" and tried a reboot. Now, what I get is a blue screen saying

Recovery
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system
    File: \BCD
    Error Code: 0xc0000098
    You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disk or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.
    Press the Windows key for UEFI Firmware Settings

Funny detail, regarding the last line: I can touch the screen to bring up a on-screen keyboard, but it does not contain a Windows key. I'm kind of stuck. I also don't have a keyboard with USB type C plug, btw.

What do? And, how could this even happen? To me it seemed like I was right in the middle of setting up, when I got to this strange dead-end screen, showing no option like "Start installing Windows" or so.

:)

rAigner, Jul 25, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Unable to boot Surface Go after reset :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Jul 25, 2019
  3. SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM

The camera caused a system freeze every time it was activated so I thought why not restore.

• I attempted to reset my Surface Pro 3 to Factory defaults.
    • The Surface Pro made it to 1% then crashed.
    • Now it is in a reboot loop.

I have tried several times and now it gives an "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing" error.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make it work again?

ScottPlatt1, Jul 25, 2019
  4. Unable to boot Surface Go after reset

Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

Unable to boot Surface Go after reset

1. Unable to boot Surface Go after reset - Similar Threads - Unable boot Surface

2. Surface Laptop Go Factory Reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Laptop Go Factory Reset: Hello. I converted my Laptop Go from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home. If I do a factory reset will that convert it back to Windows 10 S?Appreciate any assistance. * Moved from Community Center...
  3. Surface Laptop Go Factory Reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Laptop Go Factory Reset: Hello. I converted my Laptop Go from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home. If I do a factory reset will that convert it back to Windows 10 S?Appreciate any assistance. * Moved from Community Center...
  4. Surface Laptop Go Factory Reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Surface book 2 unable to reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface book 2 unable to reset: I wasn't able to detach the screen and the keybord of my surface book 2 wasn't working, i read and microsoft community to hold the power button for ~ 20 seconds to solve the problem. I did it but it booted to the screen "Your PC did not start correctly". I tried every...
  6. Surface Go Boot From USB Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Go Boot From USB Not Working: issue: i want to boot from USB but i am unable to. i have a usb with linux ubuntu installed. i know this works because i successfully installed ubuntu on a desktop computer with it. i would like to try this on my surface go but it does not seem to work at all. i followed...
  7. Surface Go BCD error on boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Surface Go BCD error on boot: I have got a Surface Go from a friend of mine. According to him one day he tried to boot into windows after and update and got a blue screen with an error message. Because he is not very experienced with computers, he asked me to have a look at it. I was not really...
  8. Surface go cannot factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface go cannot factory reset: I hahe a surface go and its been being alot slowing and has alot less space, so i decided to factory reset it since 90% of the thinfs on there are junk; i go to do that but when resetting it said it ran into a problem and undid all the changes. I also tried repairing but it...
  9. Surface Go Reset to New

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Go Reset to New: I have a Surface Go and I want to set it back to New and Give to my Niece. She can set it up as here Own. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-go-reset-to-new/8f7efe16-cb99-458c-89b1-ff112af090be
  10. Unable to connect Microsoft Mouse on Surface Go

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to connect Microsoft Mouse on Surface Go: I am using the Microsoft Mouse with a Microsoft Surface GO. After using the mouse for awhile the mouse will just stop working. When I go to the Bluetooth settings it says the the mouse and the Surface Pen's bluetooth is turned off. But there is no way to turn it back on. The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface go boot configuration data file

2. unable to boot surface go

3. hard reset microsoft surface go blue screen boot configuration data file doesnt contain valid information