Windows 10: Unable to boot the computer

Discus and support Unable to boot the computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello folks, My laptop did a major Win 10 feature update in early January plus some security updates, etc. all was fine after the update and I used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TechGirl00, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Unable to boot the computer

Hello folks,

My laptop did a major Win 10 feature update in early January plus some security updates, etc. all was fine after the update and I used my laptop for a day without issue. When I woke up the next day my laptop seemed frozen with a black screen and I had to power down.

When it restarted it went into a "diagnosing pc and trying to repair loop". This went on for about 12 hours where it continually rebooted and tried to repair. I thought it had gone into a loop but it finally did break out into a Windows recovery with all the options to go back to a restore point, uninstall updates, reinstall from recovery partition, etc. None of these worked. I have had to do restores before but it was always successful through one of these methods.

Another thing to note is that I tried to do the command prompt hoping to at least make a backup of my files and this worked fine but it brings up a prompt showing x:\ drive and when I try to switch to c:\ it tells me "insufficient resources" or something like that. I know this can often mean low disk space but I know had 200gb free. I also had a d:\recovery drive that I used to see through windows explorer and I was able to switch to this I see a recovery directory but no files in it. I'm positive I remember seeing files in it before. The laptop is used so I don't know how it was originally configured. I'm more making the point that I know there were files in there before but I'm not seeing them through this command prompt. What's also weird is that when I switch back to x:\ and do a "dir" on it I see directories like program files, users, etc. but again I don't see any files when I look at it. There is a x:\sources directory which I have never seen before but I can see a recovery.exe file in it. I have never used this command prompt before so have no idea what I should be seeing. Maybe somehow my hard drive is pooched.

Anyway, I downloaded the windows media creation tool from another Win 10 laptop and made a bootable usb. This has launched fine. I'm at the screen that has the "Install now" button but haven't proceeded yet. I have never had to restore using this method and I have searched and searched to try to find instructions on what to do to try and save my files but I can't find anything. Most of the videos/instructions are about repairing a functioning Win 10 system. I did find one video from 3 years ago with the title "reinstalling windows while keeping your files" and the guy showed this exact process but I didn't see where there was the option to either install clean or install and save files. He showed choosing your partition so what I don't know is whether he installed to a different partition which means it left the original windows installation in place or whether he reinstalled into the original location but personal files are automatically saved. I don't know if I have extra partitions.

Does someone know of a detailed video or set of instructions or can comment here what I have to do after I hit the "Install now" button? Or are my files lost through this process?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

***Modified title from: Can't boot Windows 10 Looking for help re-installing from bootable USB and save files***

:)

TechGirl00, Feb 3, 2020

2. Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Feb 3, 2020
  3. Darshan J Win User
    Windows update failed and unable to boot

Hi Chrissy,

To assist you better help us with the information below.

• Have you made any recent software/hardware changes to the computer?
    • Do you get any error message or code when trying to boot into the computer?
    When installing updates it puts message “Do not shut down your machine”, if you unplug the AC adapter or turn off the computer Chances are:

• Windows resuming the installation process next time you shutdown.
    • A non-vital program file becomes corrupted and causes some feature of the OS to become unusable and crash.
    As an initial step I would suggest you to unplug all external devices if connected and then try to boot the computer by plugging in the AC adapter and check if you are able to boot the computer.

If the computer boots make sure all the updates are installed and then you can login to user Interface.

If you still not able to unable to get the in Windows Bootable environment I Would suggest you contact your manufacturer.

Get back to us if your require more help on this query.

Thank you.

Darshan J, Feb 3, 2020
  4. Unable to boot the computer

Computer booting up slow and unable to add files to flash drive

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to run System Maintenance Troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click System Maintenance.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    I suggest you to place the computer in Clean boot
    and check.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

With regards to USB flash drive as its not working with different computers as well, you may need to get in touch with the USB flash drive manufacturer.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

Unable to boot the computer

1. Unable to boot the computer - Similar Threads - Unable boot computer

2. Unable to boot computer into safemode - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot computer into safemode - Windows 10: Every time I boot the computer into safemode and I have tried multiple ways, using Win + X and then the drop down menu, Win + I, anything to get to that startup settings page I just get a black screen. The computer is still on, the monitor is off because the green light turns...
  3. Unable to boot computer into safemode - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to boot computer into safemode - Windows 10: Every time I boot the computer into safemode and I have tried multiple ways, using Win + X and then the drop down menu, Win + I, anything to get to that startup settings page I just get a black screen. The computer is still on, the monitor is off because the green light turns...
  4. Unable to boot computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot computer: Problem: dude read the subjectHardware Details: Computer: Legion Desktop 7000K-26IOB Graphics Card: RTX 3060 Ti CPU: Intel Core i7 I forgot the restSo I recently want to install ubuntu onto my PC and I did it with the following steps:1. I decided I want to not only install...
  5. Unable to boot computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot computer: Problem: dude read the subjectHardware Details: Computer: Legion Desktop 7000K-26IOB Graphics Card: RTX 3060 Ti CPU: Intel Core i7 I forgot the restSo I recently want to install ubuntu onto my PC and I did it with the following steps:1. I decided I want to not only install...
  6. Unable to boot up computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to boot up computer: I wanted to upload pictures but the file is too large I guess. I start up my pc, and I get an error regarding a file before I can ever get to log in. "Wacom_Tablet.exe - Bad Image"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\iertutil.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an...
  7. Windows 10 computer unable to boot to BIOS

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 computer unable to boot to BIOS: [ATTACH]The process of booting into BIOS in Windows 10 is fairly straight-forward and it […] This article Windows 10 computer unable to boot to BIOS first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Unable to boot the computer after upgrading the BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot the computer after upgrading the BIOS: Hi I have a Lenovo z710 I upgraded my Bios with a modded bios, to unlock futures After several normal boots, to see it's working good I entered yesterday, Bios, and only enabled,, overclocking and 3-4 other disabled futures After, i tried to boot, I listened a big noise from...
  9. Unable to boot computer with Windows 10

Unable to boot computer with Windows 10: I cannot boot my sytem. It appears that the bcd and store are corrupted. Is there a way to rebuild these without a complete re-installation? Thanks for any assistance that you can give me. I need desperately to get into my system to be able to work and cannot. I have...
  10. Unable to boot the computer to desktop

Unable to boot the computer to desktop: my windows broke down because of electricity problems and it give me blue dead screen at first the windows was booting right, until the login screen the blue screen appears and restart to recovery. i searched for online solutions and now the windows doesn't even boot :D i...