Windows 10: Unable to Boot to OS or BIOS/UEFI

Discus and support Unable to Boot to OS or BIOS/UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; * [Full discloser] I know this is a Microsoft forum, but this also involves Linux so any help is appreciated. So I thought it'd be a fun idea to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RyanMartinez10, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Unable to Boot to OS or BIOS/UEFI

* [Full discloser] I know this is a Microsoft forum, but this also involves Linux so any help is appreciated.

So I thought it'd be a fun idea to dual-boot Linux Lite alongside my Windows 10 pro partition. It Started off fine, but I noticed when I restarted to go back to Windows, my keyboard was unresponsive in Grub Grub 2.04 specifically. The timer ran out and booted back into Linux. I found some forums with similar problems; one was resolved and mentioned it was a Legacy issue with USB in the bios. But I still can't get into the bios, so I find another forum with instructions to edit the grub file. The exact edit: add both GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="usb_keyboard" and GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="usb usb_keyboard ohci uhci ehci" in /etc/default/grub then 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/gru.config'. After implementing, I restarted and was met by the Grub no longer displaying as straight lines but rather question marks [?]. I still don't have control of the arrow keys or any other keys for that matter, and once the timer runs out it doesn't boot to linux, but instead shows all sorts of errors not recognizing drives and problems with the kernel. It's all sorts of bad and I know what to do but reformat/ wipe the drive. I've effectively bricked both boot partitions and can't even access the motherboard manufacturer UEFI.

I have a custom build:

- CPU: R9 3900X

- Drive: Intel Optane 900p 280GB PCIE NVMe SSD[boot]

- Drive: HP EX950 2TB NVMe SSD

- Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi.

If anybody can offer some advice, I'd really rather not have to recover boot Windows without my existing files.

:)

RyanMartinez10, Mar 3, 2021
  2. Alexodd Win User

Windows fails to detect UEFI BIOS, assumes Legacy instead

Hi,

Due to some string of events, my computer has quick boot enabled in BIOS. I need to load UEFI to change some things, and am unable to because this setting is enabled. I assumed there was a way to reboot into UEFI from inside Windows 10, so I looked up how
    and found the answer: There is an option in the "Advanced startup" menus to do this. Unfortunately, this option seems to be hidden if Windows 10 erroneously detects that you are using legacy BIOS instead of UEFI. This appears to be the case in my current install
    (in MSINFO the BIOS Mode is set to Legacy).

My questions are:

• How do I change BIOS Mode to UEFI in my current install?
    • How do I make sure this remains the case in future OS resets/reformats?
    • Similarly, when building other computers in the future, how do I make sure Windows 10 does not make this same error?

My questions are not:

• How do I access my BIOS despite Windows 10 misidentifying my BIOS Mode?

Thank you for your time,

Alex

Alexodd, Mar 3, 2021
  3. Windows stuck in automatic repair; Can't access BIOS/ boot menu

I've changed the boot order through both BIOS and the boot manager, as my original post stated. Neither did anything, but both were functional in the past. Neither listed the windows boot manager, either. Previously, it would boot just as expected whenever
    other media was set as the first option, so I'm pretty sure there are no issues there.

As my original post suggested, I've already tried out the steps you gave. I've gone through all the options listed in the boot menu, UEFI or not.

My BIOS and boot menu settings were at their defaults when all of this started, so that's been tried already, if those are what you're referring to.

KierraMcCullough, Mar 3, 2021
  4. Unable to Boot to OS or BIOS/UEFI

Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu

Any way of accessing the UEFI/BIOS menu results in a never ending black screen.

I've tried all the ways I can find to access the UEFI/BIOS Menu, and they all result in the black screen.

BinaryGamer, Mar 3, 2021
Thema:

Unable to Boot to OS or BIOS/UEFI

1. Unable to Boot to OS or BIOS/UEFI - Similar Threads - Unable Boot BIOS

2. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  3. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  4. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Absolutely unable to access UEFI/BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Absolutely unable to access UEFI/BIOS: Hello, I am trying to access UEFI/BIOS to enable Virtualization, my BIOS mode is indeed UEFI, I turned off fast start-up mode, I have done all of the ways I could find to access UEFI but it just doesn't show up as an option in troubleshooting. I need help to access UEFI....
  6. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  7. Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu: Recently I wanted to install a Virtual Machine onto my computer, which for my VM requires me to change a setting in the UEFI BIOS menu for it to work. When i tried to load into the UEFI menu, with Settings->Update and Security->Recovery->Advanced Start-up->Restart Now and...
  8. BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot: Hi, Problem I'm trying to boot from a USB pen ( Windows Install, Hirens, Any OTHER ) The problem is it sometimes works , sometimes as in Windows installer works when I wipe the on board drive. I can't get it to boot to anything else even when the on board drive it...
  9. Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu: Belarc reports UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P11-B2 Operating System: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.494) Installed: 4/27/2016 5:58:22 AM Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB) Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot. This is my brother’s computer:...
  10. Switching Off "Secure Boot" in BIOS / UEFI stops OS loading

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching Off "Secure Boot" in BIOS / UEFI stops OS loading: Whilst trying to get my duel boot W10/W7 on separate drives to work (some of the issues of my own making) I read about switching of "Secure Boot". I have a ASUS P8Z77-V LX motherboard and when disabling Secure Boot, I am requested to identify the OS in use, non being...