Windows 10: Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Discus and support Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, My old SSD (with windows 10 installed) is not big enough, so I bought a new one, Samsung 970 EVO with NVMe. After cloning my old SSD to the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by allenyao09, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Hi,

My old SSD (with windows 10 installed) is not big enough, so I bought a new one, Samsung 970 EVO with NVMe. After cloning my old SSD to the new one using Clonezilla and replacing the SSD, I was not able to boot to Windows. I selected the Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS but it got stuck. Even if I got into Windows, it is asking me to reset Windows, which is not what I wanted. The troubleshooting tools do not work either.

I searched online and found people saying it's probably the BIOS setup. I have a Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI motherboard, and I could not find the NVMe setting here.

I cloned the SSD by creating a disk image of the old SSD onto an external hard drive, and then recovered the image to the new SSD.

I know reinstalling Windows could probably fix the problem, but I don't want to do that. That's why I'm trying to clone my SSD. Can someone help with that? Thanks!

Best,

Allen

:)

allenyao09, Jun 17, 2019
  2. Jim869 Win User

Unable to clone new ssd

Had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop. Took the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft. Somehow part of Windows 10 got installed on my F: drive which is a secondary HDD on my computer. I've just installed a new SSD drive and wanted to clone
    my current C: drive to the new SSD. SSD won't boot and I assume not all of the Windows files are there. How can I migrate them back to the C: drive.

Jim869, Jun 17, 2019
  3. Windows 10 unable to boot from new cloned SSD

Dear MS Community,

hope someone can help answer my issue

I purchased a new Sandisk Ultra 2 480GB SSD and was hoping to replace the 500GB Toshiba HDD in my laptop which is running Windows 10. Not sure of the version of SATA in the laptop but its backwardly compatible so my SATA 3.0 SSD will work with my Lenovo
    essentials B50-70 laptop even if its SATA 1.0. I don't think it is but I can't seem to find out how to check the version. I digress, this is not my issue. I also picked up a External Drive bay case that's USB 3.0 to house the SSD during cloning and to place
    the HDD afterwards.

The cloning went well. I started using EaseUS Todo Backup 9.0 but then switched to DriveClone 11 by FarStone technology. Basically because DriveClone handled the different disc sizes better. Once cloned the drives looked the same in terms of partitions and
    data. Except the Main Partition. The differences were 1) 406GB instead of 423GB, which is from the difference in SSD / HDD size, and the HDD partition had some additional attributed (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition), whereas the new SSD only
    contains (Primary Partition). Popped the SSD drive in to the laptop and of course it does not boot from the new SSD.

I removed the SDD and reinstalled the HDD and have included a screen shot (Disk 0 = HDD and Disk 1 = SSD) and wondered if anyone could point my in the right direction as I need the attributes (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump) on the new SSD to make it bootable.

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD d010f113-beb6-4b20-8250-b5f5d3698e12.png

thanks for your help

Simon.the.Pieman, Jun 17, 2019
  4. cadaveca Win User

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Jun 17, 2019
Thema:

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

1. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD - Similar Threads - Unable Boot Cloning

2. Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.: Hello, I’ve recently cloned my 500gb m.2 ssd to a new 1TB ssd, and deleted the data on the original ssd. Upon restarting my pc it out me to a BSOD. I downloaded windows onto a USB with Rufus, and was able to get to the CMD. I’ve tried all the basic commands such as boot rec...
  3. Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.: Hello, I’ve recently cloned my 500gb m.2 ssd to a new 1TB ssd, and deleted the data on the original ssd. Upon restarting my pc it out me to a BSOD. I downloaded windows onto a USB with Rufus, and was able to get to the CMD. I’ve tried all the basic commands such as boot rec...
  4. Cloned SSD not booting to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloned SSD not booting to Windows 10: So I have installed a new 1TB SSD to migrate my C drive from a 118 GB SSD that was full to the brim. I successfully cloned all partitions to the new drive using Macrium Reflect and, using Diskpart, I cleaned the old SSD thinking that the mobo would recognize the drive and...
  5. SSD won't boot after clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD won't boot after clone: Hi all, I have cloned several SSDs in the past without trouble, but this time I am stuck. I cloned the original Toshiba hard drive using Macrium Reflect to a new Samsung SSD. And it appeared to clone everything correctly. I then powered off my computer and swapped out the...
  6. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD: I recently cloned my HDD to my SSD, to have my OS run quicker. The cloning went well, and I have set the SSD as the nr. 1 in the boot priority (each and every one of them), yet when I go into the Disk Management, my old HDD (C drive) is still labelled "boot" ***Original...
  7. Unable to clone new ssd

Unable to clone new ssd: Had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop. Took the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft. Somehow part of Windows 10 got installed on my F: drive which is a secondary HDD on my computer. I've just installed a new SSD drive and wanted to clone my current C: drive to...
  8. Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD: If I clone my old upgraded windows 10 SSD to a new SSD and do a clean install on the new SSD. Would the new cloned SSD be activated? 9609
  9. Allocation of new SSD and removal of old after cloning.....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Allocation of new SSD and removal of old after cloning.....: Hi guys Would really appreciate some help here, and hopefully I'll be able to explain in as simplest terms as possible so as not to confuse. It may be a bit long winded but I think for someone to be able to help me they need to understand the why's and wherefore's lol - so...
  10. Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot

Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot: I have a Dell Latitude E6520 with a Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS HDD, i7 CPU, Nvidia NVS4200M dedicated graphics, and 16 Gigs RAM. It has run Windows 7, 64 bit for several years like a champ. I got the auto update to Windows 10 which originally had a 'flashing screen'...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows not booting after I swapped to SSD

2. samsung ssd not booting after clone

3. i cloned my ssd but windows 10 still boot from the old ssd

4. unable to boot after cloning sata hdd to ssd,
  5. I cloned my old ssd to a new bigger one but now it wont boot