Windows 10: Unable to boot Windows 10 from SSD after cloning system partition. Works perfectly on some...

Discus and support Unable to boot Windows 10 from SSD after cloning system partition. Works perfectly on some... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dear Community, I have the following problem: I have cloned my system partition to an SSD with a 3rd party cloning software. I have tried to boot it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BarnabásKádár, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Unable to boot Windows 10 from SSD after cloning system partition. Works perfectly on some...

Dear Community,
    I have the following problem:

I have cloned my system partition to an SSD with a 3rd party cloning software. I have tried to boot it on the laptop I want to upgrade, and I got Error Code: 0xc0000001.
    For some reason, I'm getting BSOD and other fatal boot errors on the one I want to upgrade with the SSD, and from the HDD of which I have cloned the system.
    Now that would be understandable, but:

I am able to boot it perfectly on one of my other PCs.
    All responses are much appreciated,

thanks in advance

:)

BarnabásKádár, Dec 10, 2020

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Dec 10, 2020
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    boot from cloned ssd installed on cd drive

Mahesh,

I do not know what is wrong because I do not know anything about the cloning tool you used. I suspect that the missing element might well be the MBR - this needs to be included as it is the MBR that the computer looks to in order to identify the disk to
    boot from.

Note that my SSD did not end up with those two additional partitions before the boot partition:-

Unable to boot Windows 10 from SSD after cloning system partition. Works perfectly on some... cfdc1e2c-2024-4226-a714-9db0e81427d7.jpg

• Mine just has the System reserved partition before the boot partition. Your first one was probably called the System reserved partition on your original HDD but has lost its name in the cloning - that makes me doubt the success of the cloning procedure/tool.
    • I don't know what the original purpose of that 16MB RAW partition was.

• I followed the procedure suggested by the regular forum contributor JWStuart at

How to move from a smaller SSD to a larger SSD
      . I know that JWS was changing SSDs rather than replacing an HDD with an SSD but the procedure was still generally applicable.
    • I used
      Acronis TI
      to restore a system image to the SSD. It was bootable straightaway. [Acronis have always provided a free 30 day trial version that you might wish to use]
    • I used
      MiniTool Partition Wizard
      to set up "partition alignment" / "partition offset" but that was definitely used in setting up afterwards [the SSD booted beforehand with no problems].

The only sensible suggestion I can make is that you repeat the whole procedure using JWS's guide and basing it on a system image of your HDD that is restored to the SSD.

You might also benefit from changing the title of your question [click on the blue
    Edit control just underneath the question]. If you call it something like
    Cloned SSD does not boot then you are more likely to attract the attention of those skilled in this subject such as JWStuart.

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, Dec 10, 2020
  4. cadaveca Win User

Unable to boot Windows 10 from SSD after cloning system partition. Works perfectly on some...

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

Unable to boot Windows 10 from SSD after cloning system partition. Works perfectly on some...

1. Unable to boot Windows 10 from SSD after cloning system partition. Works perfectly on some... - Similar Threads - Unable boot SSD

2. System does not boot after cloning SSD to NVME

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System does not boot after cloning SSD to NVME: I cloned my SSD to my NVME SSD succesfully, but when I am trying to boot from the NVME it will display two different kinds of error messages depending on if I am booting with Legacy or UEFI. If I am booting with Legacy or UEFI with CSM, it will display a black screen that...
  3. System does not boot after cloning SSD to NVME

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System does not boot after cloning SSD to NVME: I cloned my SSD to my NVME SSD succesfully, but when I am trying to boot from the NVME it will display two different kinds of error messages depending on if I am booting with Legacy or UEFI. If I am booting with Legacy or UEFI with CSM, it will display a black screen that...
  4. Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.: Hello, I’ve recently cloned my 500gb m.2 ssd to a new 1TB ssd, and deleted the data on the original ssd. Upon restarting my pc it out me to a BSOD. I downloaded windows onto a USB with Rufus, and was able to get to the CMD. I’ve tried all the basic commands such as boot rec...
  5. Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.: Hello, I’ve recently cloned my 500gb m.2 ssd to a new 1TB ssd, and deleted the data on the original ssd. Upon restarting my pc it out me to a BSOD. I downloaded windows onto a USB with Rufus, and was able to get to the CMD. I’ve tried all the basic commands such as boot rec...
  6. Unable to boot Windows 10 from SSD after cloning system partition. Works perfectly on some...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to boot Windows 10 from SSD after cloning system partition. Works perfectly on some...: Dear Community, I have the following problem: I have cloned my system partition to an SSD with a 3rd party cloning software. I have tried to boot it on the laptop I want to upgrade, and I got Error Code: 0xc0000001. For some reason, I'm getting BSOD and other fatal boot...
  7. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD: I recently cloned my HDD to my SSD, to have my OS run quicker. The cloning went well, and I have set the SSD as the nr. 1 in the boot priority (each and every one of them), yet when I go into the Disk Management, my old HDD (C drive) is still labelled "boot" ***Original...
  8. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD: Hi, My old SSD (with windows 10 installed) is not big enough, so I bought a new one, Samsung 970 EVO with NVMe. After cloning my old SSD to the new one using Clonezilla and replacing the SSD, I was not able to boot to Windows. I selected the Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS...
  9. SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.

SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.: I recently purchased a Sandisk 120GB SSD to use for running my OS from. I formatted the disk as normal then ran the EaseUS todo backup to clone the data. The cloning seemed to be successful as the SSD had all the data from the HDD including Windows 10. However when I try...
  10. Booting from a Cloned Partition

Booting from a Cloned Partition: I have cloned a partition using AOEMI Backupper and I have tried to find out how to make the cloned partition bootable. No luck with that. Note that this PC has one Hard Drive and which is UEFI/GPT based. Is it possible to make the cloned partition (G) bootable. The...