Windows 10: Unable to boot Windows after shrinking its partition via external means.

Discus and support Unable to boot Windows after shrinking its partition via external means. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was attempting to create a Manjaro Linux partition, using its included installer to shrink my Win10 partition, however, I made two mistakes: I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by thedayneverends, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Unable to boot Windows after shrinking its partition via external means.

I was attempting to create a Manjaro Linux partition, using its included installer to shrink my Win10 partition, however, I made two mistakes:

1. I mistakingly installed Manjaro as UEFI when Win10 was set to Legacy BIOS.
    2. Based on some info I found digging the Manjaro forums for answers, apparently Windows Boot Manager mistakes a partition as corrupted if it was shrunk by external means, and not by Windows itself. This seems to be due to WBM expecting the shrunken partition to still be its original size.

At this time, Windows makes it to the kernel phase according to the chart in this article, and stops and resets when the progress ring goes around ~twice. I’m not sure what to do from here, butI’d like to find a way to get WBM to recognize the partition’s new size so I have access to it again, without resorting to a clean installation. Ultimately, I just want to be able to boot into this partition again without permanently losing any data there.

If there’s any additional information needed I’ll post it. I’m not accustomed to forums so bear with me; not entirely sure if this is the correct category for something like this.

:)

thedayneverends, Jul 6, 2020

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Jul 6, 2020
  3. Boot windows installation within a partition?

Damnit, I knew thats what you wanted with your first post! I deleted my post because JMCSLOB confused me lol.

Hm, if you Follow this guide (Replace words "flash driive" with 160GB hard drive) How to Create a Bootable Windows 7 or Vista USB Drive for both partitions and then to do a dummy install of windows 8 on the last part of the HDD it should give you the option to boot Windows 7/8 Installer or boot into windows 8.
    Edit: On step 4 you will want to make sure you size the partition correctly... or you can use the windows gui tool in control panel.

Once you get that far you can just delete windows 8 from the boot menu using MSCONFIG and delete the partition.

slyfox2151, Jul 6, 2020
  4. Unable to boot Windows after shrinking its partition via external means.

remove external hard drive partitions

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

If you are logged in as an administrator, you can repartition your hard disk by using the Shrink feature in Disk Management. You can shrink an existing partition or volume to create unallocated disk space, from which you can create a new partition
    or volume.

You may follow the step below and check if it helps:

• Connect the external hard drive.

• Press Windows Key and click on Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume you want to shrink, and then click
      Shrink Volume.

• Follow the instructions

You may also refer to the steps below and check if it helps:

Open cmd with admin rights

1. Run Diskpart application by typing Diskpart

2. In the “Diskpart” prompt, enter rescan command and press Enter key to re-scan all partitions, volumes and drives available.

3. Then type in list disk and press Enter key to show all hard disk drive available.

4. Select the disk that contains the partition you want to remove. Normally, with just 1 hard disk, it will be disk 0. So the command will be:

select disk 0

5. Finish by Enter key.

6. Type list partition and press Enter key to show all available and created partition in the disk selected.

7. Select the partition that wanted to be deleted by using the following command, followed by Enter key:

select partition x

where x is the number recovery partition to be removed and unlocked its space. Be careful with the number of this partition, as wrong number may get data wipes off.

Finally, type in delete partition override and press Enter key.

Disclaimer: Be sure to back up any data you want to keep before you begin.

Hope this helps to resolve your issue. If the problem persist please revert back to us we are glad to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

Unable to boot Windows after shrinking its partition via external means.

1. Unable to boot Windows after shrinking its partition via external means. - Similar Threads - Unable boot shrinking

2. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  3. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  4. Windows 11 Boot Problem after Shrinking System C: Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Boot Problem after Shrinking System C: Partition: I'd like to install Arch Linux on my own laptop, then I make the partition from my SSD which contain System WIndows files and shrink it using GParted. Actually, the first I want tomake the partition directly from WIndows using default partition manager from windows but I...
  5. Windows 11 Boot Problem after Shrinking System C: Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Boot Problem after Shrinking System C: Partition: I'd like to install Arch Linux on my own laptop, then I make the partition from my SSD which contain System WIndows files and shrink it using GParted. Actually, the first I want tomake the partition directly from WIndows using default partition manager from windows but I...
  6. Unable to shrink a partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to shrink a partition: I have a new SSD and am trying to install Windows Home from a USB drive. I can see in Disk Management several partitions that Windows created, but Windows fails to install due to error 0x8007025D. One suggestion from Microsoft is to reduce the partition to 125GB currently...
  7. Problem shrinking Windows partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem shrinking Windows partition: Hello, I have Windows (ver. 2004, build 19041.630) installed on an M.2 1TB SSD drive, and I want to copy and run it from a SATA 0.5TB SSD. So I'm trying to shrink the main windows partition (951GB total, 160GB used), but disk manager says it can't shrink below 487GB, which...
  8. Shrinked Windows 10 partition and created new ext4 partition - Now Windows does not boot,...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shrinked Windows 10 partition and created new ext4 partition - Now Windows does not boot,...: Basically the title. I have win10 installed on my ssd, i just shrinked the main ntfs partition by 50gb and created a ext4 filesysrem, installed mxlinux there, now Windows 10 does not boot. I did not touch windows files at all. :/ Now when I try to boot Windows boot manager,...
  9. Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually.

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually.: Hello, I am trying to convert my system from MBR to GPT in Windows 10 Recovery Mode Command Prompt but sadly I am getting the following error when I try to do so: Code: MBR2GPT: Attempting to convert disk 0 MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of disk MBR2GPT: Validating layout, disk...
  10. Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10: How to: Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10 How to Shrink a Volume or Partition in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can decrease the space used by primary partitions and logical drives by shrinking them into adjacent, contiguous unallocated space on...