Windows 10: Unable to change Bitlocker password on External hard disk

Discus and support Unable to change Bitlocker password on External hard disk in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I am running Windows 10 Pro on my personal laptop. I had encrypted one of my external hard disks using Bitlocker couple of years back and it is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Allwyn Alvares, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Unable to change Bitlocker password on External hard disk

Hi,

I am running Windows 10 Pro on my personal laptop. I had encrypted one of my external hard disks using Bitlocker couple of years back and it is running fine. However when I try to change the password it gives me error saying "The drive cannot be encrypted because it contains system boot information. Create a separate partition for use...".

I have tried using the Manage Bitlocker option as well and it didn't help.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Allwyn Alvares, Jan 5, 2021

2. Renamed external disk defaults to 'Local Disk'. Maybe something to do with BitLocker?

Hi Russell,

The issue you're experiencing with modifying the name of your external hard disk might be caused by a misconfiguration with BitLocker. We'll need additional information to properly address your concern. Please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • How did you modify the name of the external hard disk? Did you change it through the File Explorer or through Disk Management? Also, is BitLocker disabled when you changed the name of the storage device?
    • Is the external hard disk showing the same issue when you connect it to a different PC?

If you haven't tried it yet, you can modify the external hard disk name using an elevated
    Command Prompt:

• Select the Start button.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click Command Prompt and then select
      Run as administrator
    • If prompted, click Yes or enter the administrator password.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type the command below and then hit Enter.
      • label <drive letter>: <desired name>
      • Replace <drive letter> with the actual driver letter of the external hard disk.
      • For example: label E: Backup files
    • Restart your PC.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Jan 5, 2021
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jan 5, 2021
  4. JonBland Win User

Unable to change Bitlocker password on External hard disk

Unable to change BitLocker password

Hi Igor

My name is Jon and I am an independent technical adviser. Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues and I would really like to help you find a resolution.

Method 1: Change BitLocker Password from Windows Explorer

Right-click on the BitLocker encrypted drive in Windows Explorer, and select Change BitLocker password from the context menu.

Note: if the encrypted drive shows a gold lock on the icon, then you can’t see the “Change Bitlocker password” option in the context menu, and you need to unlock the BitLocker drive first.

Enter the old password, followed by the new password (entered twice), and then click Change password.

You should see a message that the password has been changed successfully in the same window.

Method 2: Change BitLocker Password from Control Panel

Open the Control Panel and select Large icons in the View by drop-down menu. Click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

Expand the drive for which you want to change the BitLocker password, and click Change password from the list of options.

When the Change Password window appears, type your old password and new password. Click Change password.

Now you’ve changed your BitLocker password.

Method 3: Change BitLocker Password Using Command Line

Open the Command Prompt as administrator.

Assuming you’re going to change Bitlocker password for drive D:, type the following command and hit Enter.

manage-bde -changepassword d:

You’ll be prompted to enter the new password twice. Note: your password won’t be shown while you’re typing.

When the password has been successfully changed, you can close Command Prompt. Every time you boot into Windows, you can unlock the BitLocker drive with the new password.

Hope this helps.

JonBland, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

Unable to change Bitlocker password on External hard disk

1. Unable to change Bitlocker password on External hard disk - Similar Threads - Unable change Bitlocker

2. External hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard disk: Hello everyoneI'm just looking for an advice here if someone could give me a definitive answer to a question that has been bugging me for a while.I've recently bought a new external hard drive, an upgrade for my old one in terms of size and speed, the thing is by chance I've...
  3. external hard disk drives became unallocated bitlocker encrypted

external hard disk drives became unallocated bitlocker encrypted: Hello.Recently I tried to access data on an old USB stick and IO tried to use Disk Management for it.When I started Disk Management, it gave me an error message and asked to convert a disk to MBR if I remember correctly.I mistakenly assumed it was about the USB stick and I...
  4. Remove bitlocker password from my external hard disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove bitlocker password from my external hard disk?: How can I remove bitlocker password from my external hard disk without having to format or delete the data in that hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-bitlocker-password-from-my-external-hard/c6672382-98ef-4d72-9b9a-cc8772c744d5
  5. Remove bitlocker password from my external hard disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove bitlocker password from my external hard disk?: How can I remove bitlocker password from my external hard disk without having to format or delete the data in that hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-bitlocker-password-from-my-external-hard/c6672382-98ef-4d72-9b9a-cc8772c744d5
  6. Windows 10 unable to access external hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 unable to access external hard disk: Hello I wonder if anyone can assist at all? I use external hard disks for storing music and other media multimedia content, as well as for moving data between PCs. Earlier today though, all of a sudden, Windows was unable to access the drive the PC in question referred to as...
  7. BitLocker - External Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker - External Hard Disk: I have Western Digital Hard Disk. It is BitLocker protected. I have Key ID i.e. 7BF91855. Is there anyway I can retrieve my bitlocker recovery key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-external-hard-disk/ec9c56aa-15d6-42f9-aff0-f88af87a5b1c
  8. Unable to change BitLocker password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to change BitLocker password: Hi everyone, I am using Windows 10 Pro with an admin user connected to my Office 365 I am logging in using my email, which is not Microsoft email. BitLocker is enabled by default, but I do not see the option to change the BL password, nor do I see the option to ask for...
  9. BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE: Unable to open bitlocker encrypted external drive Windows 10 Pro Hello, I have not been able to open my encrypted hard drive on Windows professional Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063. The external drive was encrypted using this system (the same I am reporting now) and...
  10. external hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard disk: external hard disk is not displaying n even not located also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-disk/62353490-2070-486b-a356-a179ff281d28