Windows 10: Unable to change brightness in Windows 10, even after Windows 10 reinstall

Discus and support Unable to change brightness in Windows 10, even after Windows 10 reinstall in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So this is actually an update to my original problem post, for which I received very generous and extensive support:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by natemack29, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Unable to change brightness in Windows 10, even after Windows 10 reinstall

So this is actually an update to my original problem post, for which I received very generous and extensive support: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/471ab775-9c4f-4940-9315-d1045a154983

Essentially my laptop has absolutely zero brightness control, on the latest Windows 10 1903. With my original post I did every imaginable troubleshooting step, uninstalled and reinstalled every single driver and manually updated each one, updated BIOS, full system scans multiple times, clean reinstalled Windows multiple times with no effect whatsoever. I'm left with a laptop that functions perfectly otherwise, but with zero brightness control. So what I'm now wondering is, what possible cause could be remaining? Could a hardware issue cause something like this, such as a defect with the hard drive? Could it be a bug with Windows itself? I'm very confused, because the reinstall should have solved the issue, and the fact that literally everything else on the device is functioning normally, so I really need some other opinions.

:)

natemack29, Nov 6, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 6, 2019
  3. MrGenius Win User
    [Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Unable to change brightness in Windows 10, even after Windows 10 reinstall :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Nov 6, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Unable to change brightness in Windows 10, even after Windows 10 reinstall

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Nov 6, 2019
Thema:

Unable to change brightness in Windows 10, even after Windows 10 reinstall

1. Unable to change brightness in Windows 10, even after Windows 10 reinstall - Similar Threads - Unable change brightness

2. Macbook Pro Unable to change the brightness with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Macbook Pro Unable to change the brightness with Windows 10: I can't change the brightness but I can when I reboot into Apple but at that point I am wasting my time missing around with the PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/macbook-pro-unable-to-change-the-brightness-with/34be0c2c-01d1-4d49-a228-e3e5d5a80e67
  3. Macbook Pro Unable to change the brightness with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macbook Pro Unable to change the brightness with Windows 10: I can't change the brightness but I can when I reboot into Apple but at that point I am wasting my time missing around with the PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/macbook-pro-unable-to-change-the-brightness-with/34be0c2c-01d1-4d49-a228-e3e5d5a80e67
  4. Macbook Pro Unable to change the brightness with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 hangs, even after reinstall

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 hangs, even after reinstall: So, first and foremost, I update Windows immediately... After having a overwhelmingly good running install on my PC since quite a couple of years, things have gotten worse mid-2020. This I concluded with the fact that the machine has been running this install for years, so...
  6. Brightness not changing even after adjusting for brightness [Windows 10 32 bit]

Brightness not changing even after adjusting for brightness [Windows 10 32 bit]: I am not able to adjust my laptop's brightness with the brightness slider in Windows 10 [32 bit]. I am able to move the slider but the brightness is not changing correspondingly. I went through this other query and tried to do the same but didn't find the various options...
  7. HELP: I can't change brightness on Windows 10 Home even after changing settings.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP: I can't change brightness on Windows 10 Home even after changing settings.: Adjusting the display settings for brightness don't work. I've tried updating my Driver to Microsoft Basic Display and restarting, which hasn't worked either. Any tips welcomed. submitted by /u/DragonBadboy [link] [comments]...
  8. Unable to change brightness in Windows 10

Unable to change brightness in Windows 10: I'm currently running the latest updates for Windows 10 1903 on my laptop. Just recently I have noticed that I'm no longer able to adjust the display brightness at all for some reason, either with the fn keys for brightness, or in the display settings anywhere. It's an HP...
  9. Unable to change brightness Windows 10 - No brightness controls/slider

Unable to change brightness Windows 10 - No brightness controls/slider: I have been unable to adjust my brightness on my laptop. It seems like anything related to the idea of "brightness" has been wiped from my computer: no brightness slider in display settings, no slider in the Action Center, can't use my keyboard shortcuts (Fn + F11/F12), and...
  10. Unable to change brightness via fn + brightness keys after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to change brightness via fn + brightness keys after windows 10 update: Same problem with muting and unmuting via fn+(un)mute. Other fn combinations seem to work. It is possible to change the brightness via settings but I really want the hotkeys to work. I have tried updating drivers for keyboards and display adapters but that didn't work. I...