Windows 10: Unable to change brightness in Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to change brightness in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm currently running the latest updates for Windows 10 1903 on my laptop. Just recently I have noticed that I'm no longer able to adjust the display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by natemack29, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Unable to change brightness in Windows 10

I'm currently running the latest updates for Windows 10 1903 on my laptop. Just recently I have noticed that I'm no longer able to adjust the display brightness at all for some reason, either with the fn keys for brightness, or in the display settings anywhere. It's an HP Envy 15t-j100. I've tried all recommended steps specifically for HP, uninstalling and reinstalling all display drivers, even doing a system reset and completely reinstalling Windows, but the problem persists. One thing I should note is that right before I noticed the issue, I powered off the computer during a boot-up disk check. The disk check was about 10 minutes in. However everything else has been functioning perfectly fine, just the disappearance of all brightness controls. I initially suspected I might have corrupted some system files by powering off during the disk check, which prompted me to do a system reset, but even after the reset the problem remains, with everything else functioning perfectly as far as I can tell. This leads me to suspect that it may be a bug with Windows itself. Has anyone else run into a similar issue?

:)

natemack29, Oct 21, 2019

2. Unable to Change Screen Brightness of Laptop

So I'm not sure how long this has been happening but for some reason, I can't change the brightness on my laptop screen. I have linked a picture and as you can see, my brightness says 0% and that I can't change it, however my actual brightness is at 100%. I have looked around everywhere and the only responses I have found don't work for me. Here's a list of everything I have tried:
    - Reinstalling Display Drivers
    - Rolling Back Display Drivers
    - Reset Settings on UWT4
    - Power and Battery Settings
    (UWT4 or Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 is a customizer for Windows 10 and I thought that might be the problem but it wasn't)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, it's greatly appreciated! Thanks! -

FrostyTigerXP, Oct 21, 2019
  3. M4ntis Win User
    Unable to asjust brightness windows 10

no matter what I do I am unable to adjust the brightness in my settings as the "adjust brightness" bar as shown in http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/change-screen-brightness. I have tried to fix this by:

• rolled back drives
    • updated drivers
    • disabled drivers
    • reinstalled drivers
    • updated windows 10
    • restarted computer
    • completely turned computer off and on
    • enabled adaptive brightness in power options
    • disabled adaptive brightness in power options
    None of the actions above has changed anything. How do I see the "adjust brightness" bar?

M4ntis, Oct 21, 2019
  4. Unable to change brightness in Windows 10

screen brightness on windows 10

Hi,

Some computers can let Windows automatically adjust screen brightness based on the current lighting conditions.

To manually adjust the screen brightness, we suggest following these troubleshooting steps:

• Click Start, then select Settings.
    • Choose System, then select Display.
    • Under Brightness and color, move the Change brightness slider to adjust the brightness.

Feel free to post back if you have other concern.

Gerard Qui, Oct 21, 2019
Thema:

Unable to change brightness in Windows 10

1. Unable to change brightness in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable change brightness

2. Macbook Pro Unable to change the brightness with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Macbook Pro Unable to change the brightness with Windows 10: I can't change the brightness but I can when I reboot into Apple but at that point I am wasting my time missing around with the PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/macbook-pro-unable-to-change-the-brightness-with/34be0c2c-01d1-4d49-a228-e3e5d5a80e67
  3. Macbook Pro Unable to change the brightness with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Macbook Pro Unable to change the brightness with Windows 10: I can't change the brightness but I can when I reboot into Apple but at that point I am wasting my time missing around with the PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/macbook-pro-unable-to-change-the-brightness-with/34be0c2c-01d1-4d49-a228-e3e5d5a80e67
  4. unable to change brightness

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to change brightness: i dont any slider to change my brightness, i've tried doing all the driver updates and whatnot and nothing has changed, its becoming really annoying at night when my screen is bright and i have to use something like night light which ruins the colours...
  5. unable to change brightness

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to change brightness: i dont any slider to change my brightness, i've tried doing all the driver updates and whatnot and nothing has changed, its becoming really annoying at night when my screen is bright and i have to use something like night light which ruins the colours...
  6. unable to change brightness

7. Unable to change display brightness

Unable to change display brightness: The problem is simple to explain - display brightness can't be changed. Brightness slider isn't accessible anywhere. Not in the action center, not in the settings. I've followed every tutorial on the internet but still, I can't make the slider appear. There is a slider in...
  8. Unable to change brightness

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to change brightness: I am unable to change my brightness through the battery icon in the taskbar. Instead I have to go into settings and adjust it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-brightness/29770dc0-bdef-4a59-aa78-5f6e01dd12b2
  9. Unable to change brightness Windows 10 - No brightness controls/slider

Unable to change brightness Windows 10 - No brightness controls/slider: I have been unable to adjust my brightness on my laptop. It seems like anything related to the idea of "brightness" has been wiped from my computer: no brightness slider in display settings, no slider in the Action Center, can't use my keyboard shortcuts (Fn + F11/F12), and...
  10. Unable to change screen brightness

Unable to change screen brightness: I am completely unable to change my screen brightness, either through settings or the control panel. I have tried everything the internet suggested, including community solutions, but none of them work. it began after the most recent windows update, where the change...