Windows 10: Unable to change brightness

Discus and support Unable to change brightness in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am unable to change my brightness through the battery icon in the taskbar. Instead I have to go into settings and adjust it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AndreaBL, Sep 3, 2019.

1. AndreaBL Win User

Unable to change brightness

I am unable to change my brightness through the battery icon in the taskbar.

Instead I have to go into settings and adjust it.

:)

AndreaBL, Sep 3, 2019

2. Unable to Change Screen Brightness of Laptop

So I'm not sure how long this has been happening but for some reason, I can't change the brightness on my laptop screen. I have linked a picture and as you can see, my brightness says 0% and that I can't change it, however my actual brightness is at 100%. I have looked around everywhere and the only responses I have found don't work for me. Here's a list of everything I have tried:
    - Reinstalling Display Drivers
    - Rolling Back Display Drivers
    - Reset Settings on UWT4
    - Power and Battery Settings
    (UWT4 or Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 is a customizer for Windows 10 and I thought that might be the problem but it wasn't)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, it's greatly appreciated! Thanks! -

FrostyTigerXP, Sep 3, 2019
  3. samdavey1 Win User
    Unable to change screen brightness

I am completely unable to change my screen brightness, either through settings or the control panel. I have tried everything the internet suggested, including community solutions, but none of them work. it began after the most recent windows update, where
    the change brightness button disappeared from the battery section on the taskbar. I could change the brightness through settings for a bit, but that eventually stopped working too. although my computer says its changing the brightness of the screen, nothing
    actually happens.

Please help me fix this! the brightness hurts my eyes and makes it hard to read text.

thanks

samdavey1, Sep 3, 2019
  4. Unable to change brightness

Unable to change screen brightness

Hello,

Please refer these suggestions:

1. Run Power troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot.

2. Open Device Manager (run devmgmt.msc command), try uninstalling your display adapter and then click Action > Scan for hardware changes.

3. Update your display driver to latest version.

You can refer this fix for additional suggestions:

[FIX] Can't Change Screen Brightness In Windows 10/8/7

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Kapil Arya MVP, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

Unable to change brightness

1. Unable to change brightness - Similar Threads - Unable change brightness

2. Unable to change brightness of my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change brightness of my PC: Hi, I am unable to change brightness of my PC. I have tried to adjust brightness using function key, but it did not work. I checked by changing brightness from setting, dragging the brightness bar, but brightness is not changing. I am using ASUS laptop with AMD ryzen 5....
  3. Unable to change brightness of my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change brightness of my PC: Hi, I am unable to change brightness of my PC. I have tried to adjust brightness using function key, but it did not work. I checked by changing brightness from setting, dragging the brightness bar, but brightness is not changing. I am using ASUS laptop with AMD ryzen 5....
  4. unable to change brightness

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to change brightness: i dont any slider to change my brightness, i've tried doing all the driver updates and whatnot and nothing has changed, its becoming really annoying at night when my screen is bright and i have to use something like night light which ruins the colours...
  5. unable to change brightness

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to change brightness: i dont any slider to change my brightness, i've tried doing all the driver updates and whatnot and nothing has changed, its becoming really annoying at night when my screen is bright and i have to use something like night light which ruins the colours...
  6. unable to change brightness

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Unable to change display brightness

Unable to change display brightness: The problem is simple to explain - display brightness can't be changed. Brightness slider isn't accessible anywhere. Not in the action center, not in the settings. I've followed every tutorial on the internet but still, I can't make the slider appear. There is a slider in...
  8. Unable to change brightness in Windows 10

Unable to change brightness in Windows 10: I'm currently running the latest updates for Windows 10 1903 on my laptop. Just recently I have noticed that I'm no longer able to adjust the display brightness at all for some reason, either with the fn keys for brightness, or in the display settings anywhere. It's an HP...
  9. Unable to change screen brightness

Unable to change screen brightness: I am completely unable to change my screen brightness, either through settings or the control panel. I have tried everything the internet suggested, including community solutions, but none of them work. it began after the most recent windows update, where the change...
  10. Unable to Change Screen Brightness of Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Change Screen Brightness of Laptop: So I'm not sure how long this has been happening but for some reason, I can't change the brightness on my laptop screen. I have linked a picture and as you can see, my brightness says 0% and that I can't change it, however my actual brightness is at 100%. I have looked around...