Windows 10: Unable to change default app by file type

Discus and support Unable to change default app by file type in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use a genealogical program with file extension of GED, but MS refuses to let me use Roots Magic as the default app to open the GED files. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Karen1941, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Karen1941 Win User

Unable to change default app by file type

I use a genealogical program with file extension of GED, but MS refuses to let me use Roots Magic as the default app to open the GED files. I have done all methods shown here, and the Windows somehow associates GED files with Photoshop which won't open them as it is the wrong file protocol. The store has its own genealogical database apps that it wants me to use. It won't let me use Roots Magic. Do I have to uninstall RM and then reinstall it, hoping Windows will behave this time and let me use Roots Magic as the default app?

:)

Karen1941, Sep 15, 2019
  2. MSRadell Win User

Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

In my installation show up and run without permission, it just shows up in the all add-ons section.
    It may work for you but it obviously doesn't work for me.
    See screenshots below:

Unable to change default app by file type [​IMG]

MSRadell, Sep 15, 2019
  3. MSRadell Win User

I'm trying to stop PDF files from opening in IE11, I want them to open in Adobe reader. When I go through the settings menu and get to the screen "Choose Default Apps by File Type" I cannot scroll down that page it stays locked on the top section. A screenshot is attached. Any idea of how I can get down to the PDF file type to change the default?

MSRadell, Sep 15, 2019
  4. Edwin Win User

K, I think I figured it out...

... in Internet Options/Advanced/Security, uncheck 'Enable Enhanced Protected Mode', click Apply and OK, restart PC.

...Or

Disable the Plug-in, open the link, checkmark 'Do not show me the warning for this programs again' and click 'Allow'

Should open in Adobe Reader immediately:

Edwin, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to change default app by file type - Similar Threads - Unable change default

2. Unable to open with or set default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open with or set default app for file type: Windows 10 Pro 64-bitVersion: 20H2OS Build: 19042.1052Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0I want to double click on a *.jpg file from my phone and have it open in Chrome.1 - Right clicking results in no "open with" option:2 - Default app for "photo...
  3. unable to change default program based on file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to change default program based on file type: i tried to open a file and it popped up the thing to select a default program for that file type, but chose the wrong program. if i go into my settings to try to change the default it no longer lets me choose any program other than the one i already chose or something from...
  4. How to change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default app for file type: I'm trying to change app that handles .jpg file types on my system from default "photos" to Windows Media player(just because I like better it looks:)) and despite fact that WMP is installed and handles other file types - [img] , I still can't choose it from the windows...
  5. How to change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change default app for file type: I'm trying to change app that handles .jpg file types on my system from default "photos" to Windows Media player(just because I like better it looks:)) and despite fact that WMP is installed and handles other file types, I still can't choose it from the windows default app...
  6. Change default app for file type

Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  7. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  8. change the default app to open a file type

change the default app to open a file type: How do I change the default app to open a .wpd document file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-app-to-open-a-file-type/6cb7b0b6-d967-4f4b-9d18-8ad6651abac0
  9. Unable to change the default app by file type for .PY file.

Unable to change the default app by file type for .PY file.: I am unable to change the default app by file type for .PY file. My windows version is 1803 and os build is 17134.376 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-the-default-app-by-file-type-for/8e1f3c97-e5f5-405a-8016-d7d43313a6ea
  10. Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change Default Apps by File Type: I'm trying to stop PDF files from opening in IE11, I want them to open in Adobe reader. When I go through the settings menu and get to the screen "Choose Default Apps by File Type" I cannot scroll down that page it stays locked on the top section. A screenshot is attached....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to change default app windows 10

2. unable to change file type