Windows 10: Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Discus and support Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; We use Bluebeam to open pdf files. The .pdf file is associated with this program, so if I double click on a .pdf file, it opens with this program.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tfor, Mar 12, 2019.

1. tfor Win User

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

We use Bluebeam to open pdf files. The .pdf file is associated with this program, so if I double click on a .pdf file, it opens with this program.
    However:
    • If I make hyperlinks in Excel to .pdf files, and I click on the hyperlink, it opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
    • If I try to change the association for acrobat protocol, I only have the option to choose the Adobe Reader, or to look in the Microsoft Store for an app. I cannot choose software allready installed on my computer.
    • The same if I try to change the association by file type (in Settings > Default Apps. For .pdf files I get several options (Microsoft Edge, Acrobat Reader, Bluebeam, Word), but other Acrobat types (.fdf, .pdfxml, .pdx) I only can choose between Acrobat Reader or an app from the Microsoft Store.
    What is the best way to:
    • Make hyperlinks in excel open .pdf files with Bluebeam>
    • Change the association for a protocol to an allready installed program (e.g. in this case Bluebeam, but it might also be Sumatra PDF or another PDF reader)?
    By the way: if I issue the command "assoc", it tells me that .pdf files are of the "AcroExch.Document.DC" type.

:)

2. 1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in Settings App

Everyone can change a default app. This is about creating a new file type or protocol for a default app. Your suggestion and the issue are different things.

Look at the screenshot, imagine there is a protocol URL:000 that isn't in the list... how are you going to add URL:000 to the list?

Kev Feathers, Mar 12, 2019
  3. Dynde Win User
    Default app for a bunch of URL Protocols controlled by .htm default app?

I was trying to setup my PC to open FTP and File urls in IE and everything else browser-related (http/https/html etc) in Chrome.

I've hit a snag - after manipulating just about every single registry key I can find relating to default apps.

From what I can tell, the app that is handling ".htm" file type opens ALL the other types and protocols as well - regardless of their default app settings!

Is this by design? Are you not allowed to have different apps open different protocols/file types? If so, what's the point of the default apps system?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Edit: I guess I should have been more specific. Of course I know about default app settings in the control panel. This, however, is exactly my point. Set the default app for the FTP/File/Any URL Protocol and it will be overriden by the app set to handle "htm" files (not html, just htm). This is also how the default "browser" app is being set by windows. It auto-sets the browser app to be the htm app.

Update

It appears I was misled by the mechanism I was testing. A URL/Hyperlink field with a button in Dynamics Ax to be specific.

Putting file:// or UNC-paths, FTP/HTTP/HTTPS ALL open with the app that handles htm (or default web browser).

After testing with the command prompt as per @treintje's suggestion, the different filetypes and protocols open with the correct apps. I have a suspicion Dynamics Ax use a call to urlmon.dll or something similar on some level to 'intercept' all protocols and filetypes to ensure the default web browser handles the link.

Dynde, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Erika Aro Win User

Default Browser Keeps Changing to Edge

There are three other ways to set your default program. In Default apps, navigate the page to find the following:

• Choose default apps by file type
    • Choose default apps by protocol
    • Set defaults by app

To manually change your default browser, follow these steps:

• Set your preferred default browser to skip Choose default apps by file type. Click
      Choose default apps by protocol then look for HTTP and HTTPS. Change them to your preferred browser.
    • After that, click Set defaults by app and wait for the new windows to load. Search your preferred browser and click it. Select
      Set this program as default and press OK.
    • Close all your browsers and check if it still asks you to set your browser.

Let us know how it goes after doing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype. - Similar Threads - Unable change default

2. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  3. FTP protocol default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FTP protocol default app: I can type an FTP address in to the address bar on File Explorer, log in and use the service. What I want is to set it as default, so when I click an FTP link File Explorer opens it. If I try to set the default app in Windows I am only offered browsers, none of which work. I...
  4. FTP protocol default app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FTP protocol default app: I can type an FTP address in to the address bar on File Explorer, log in and use the service. What I want is to set it as default, so when I click an FTP link File Explorer opens it. If I try to set the default app in Windows I am only offered browsers, none of which work. I...
  5. FTP protocol default app

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Default app for URN protocol

Default app for URN protocol: Hello, I faced a problem with opening links with URN suffix. Whenever link is being open it asks to select a default app for urn file type and then is unable to find any in MS Store. I have tried setting it to Chrome different ways, but none worked at the end: - tried...
  7. Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype': I am trying to set a default app for an extension but the default apps list won't show the app even though it is operational, listed under 'Apps and features' and valid. How can I select this app?...
  8. setting default app for filetype

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    setting default app for filetype: Hello -- What did I miss here? I wanted to change the default app to process a zip file --- So I when to the screen to set the default apps, selected the option to set the app by file type I then scrolled down the list an found .zip clicked on it and...
  9. Can't set default apps to open filetypes

Can't set default apps to open filetypes: It is completely impossible for me to change or set a default program for any files. The "Open With" window doesn't function and the "Choose default apps by file type" just freezes and doesn't change any time I set a default program....
  10. 'Choose default app by filetype' broken for non-Store apps

'Choose default app by filetype' broken for non-Store apps: I cannot select a new default app for a filetype. I am using a Surface Go with S mode disabled and 'Allow apps from anywhere' selected under 'Settings > Apps > Apps & features.' The app I want to set as a default (Notepad++) is a downloaded executable, not an app from the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to select default app by protocol

2. unable to change to change default protocols