Windows 10: Unable to change default email app in Win 10.

Discus and support Unable to change default email app in Win 10. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I get error message: There is no email program associated to perform the requested action, even though I selected Google Chrome as my email app.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AlbertScremin, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Unable to change default email app in Win 10.

Hi, I get error message: There is no email program associated to perform the requested action, even though I selected Google Chrome as my email app.

:)

AlbertScremin, Sep 18, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Hi, I don't have Acrobat installed. With Sumatra as my default pdf reader, that hyperlink to a pdf docoument opens in.. yes.. Sumatra. Changing to Edge:

Unable to change default email app in Win 10. [​IMG]

the hyperlink opens in... yes.. Edge.

If, as seems the case, Bluebeam is correctly associated with pdf files, I can't say why the hyperlink fails. Your guess about the protocol may be right- I don't know. If you could make any change to that to test that theory, as you suggest, that would help.

If you wish to view the relevant registry key, a convenient way to get there is via free Filetypesman - a rt click option.

dalchina, Sep 18, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Hi, just considering what is shown in the Open With options, for example:

Here you can see Sumatra is my default reader.

Here you can see Sumatra and Chrome are added to the Open With list, + Edge, a system default.

The choice presented to you for .fdf, .pdfxml, .pdx for example, should depend on whether Bluebeam has correctly registered itself in the appropriate place as capable of handling those extensions.

So, for example, is Bluebeam shown in the Open With list for those extensions?

It is not enough that a program is installed that is potentially capable of handling a file type (e.g. via an Open dialogue) but that it be so registered. That is up to the author to specify.

Application Registration - Windows applications | Microsoft Docs

This opens in Sumatra, my default.

Unfortunately this option in the Control Panel now opens in Settings:

and does not allow you to do what it claims.

dalchina, Sep 18, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Unable to change default email app in Win 10.

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Thema:

Unable to change default email app in Win 10.

1. Unable to change default email app in Win 10. - Similar Threads - Unable change default

2. Unable to change default app by file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change default app by file type: I use a genealogical program with file extension of GED, but MS refuses to let me use Roots Magic as the default app to open the GED files. I have done all methods shown here, and the Windows somehow associates GED files with Photoshop which won't open them as it is the...
  3. Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.: We use Bluebeam to open pdf files. The .pdf file is associated with this program, so if I double click on a .pdf file, it opens with this program. However: If I make hyperlinks in Excel to .pdf files, and I click on the hyperlink, it opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. If I...
  4. changing default email

changing default email: When opening mail app, Windows opens with Outlook. I want the App to open with my att.net email. How do I change the default in order to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-email/8d8a7815-a2cb-4d3e-b730-e1ce1a3de3cc
  5. changing default email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    changing default email: I have an email that I use as a default and the backup email is long gone and we don't remember the password anymore how do we change the email now instead of waiting till a certain date....
  6. Windoa 10 unable to change the default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windoa 10 unable to change the default apps: I facing issue to change the default apps for few type of file. The option of always open with this apps also gone. So i tried to change the default apps in setting but even i able to see the other apps option but when i want to select it, the setting interface all gone. This...
  7. Unable to change Windows 10 Default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change Windows 10 Default apps: I cannot changed the default apps on my laptop. I had one of your Microsoft agent try and repair Windows 10 Install Without Losing Apps & Data after giving them remote access, and it did not work. I STILL cannot change my default apps. I have already given two of your agents...
  8. Unable to change email default in Sony Playmemories app.

Unable to change email default in Sony Playmemories app.: I want to change my outlook to my gmail account to send a file thru Sony Playmemories. My default email is gmail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/unable-to-change-email-default-in-sony/a50f460d-0ff4-45d4-897e-87f785adbad5
  9. Changing email default.

in Browsers and Email
    Changing email default.: I am attempting (my first attempt) to use mail merge. All goes ok until the very last where the system wants to default to Microsoft Outlook to send the emails away. I currently use Windows Live Mail. I do not wish to change my default to Outlook. How do I change the settings...
  10. Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

Unable to change Default Apps by File Type: I'm trying to stop PDF files from opening in IE11, I want them to open in Adobe reader. When I go through the settings menu and get to the screen "Choose Default Apps by File Type" I cannot scroll down that page it stays locked on the top section. A screenshot is attached....