Windows 10: Unable to change default program

Discus and support Unable to change default program in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm unable to change my wmv file player or the program that I use to open zip files. I'm wanting to change them to media player classic and 7zip, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RickRS, Oct 10, 2018.

1. RickRS Win User

Unable to change default program

I'm unable to change my wmv file player or the program that I use to open zip files. I'm wanting to change them to media player classic and 7zip, but nothing happens upon switching their default program. For wmv files, I use choose another app, check to always use media player classic, but it still uses the default windows player. Similar results for zip files. Same thing happens when changing it through properties. I tried changing default apps in windows 10 settings as well, but media player classic and 7zip don't show as options.

:)

RickRS, Oct 10, 2018

2. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Oct 10, 2018
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    how do I change the default program for extracting files

Hi,

You can change the default program that's extracting the files by either changing it from the settings or right-clicking on the zipped file and choose which program will open it. We'd like to know which program are you using yo extract the files.

In the meantime, follow the steps below to change the default program:

• Right-click on the file you want to extract.
    • Choose Open with and select which program you want to use.
    • In other cases, a new menu will appear when choosing Open with. You can choose "Choose Default Program" from there.

Change the default programs from the Settings.

• Go to Settings. Choose Apps then
      Default apps.
    • Select the app or program you want to use as default from the list.

We'll wait for your response.

Anne Ros, Oct 10, 2018
  4. Unable to change default program

Can't change default apps in Windows 10

Hi,

As per your description, you are unable to set a program as your default browser in Control Panel as it is not showing as an option. To provide you the best steps to resolve the issue, we need to isolate it with a few questions:

• When did it start happening?
    • Were there any changes made to your computer settings prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried going to Settings > Default Apps >
      Web Browser as what Yuri Nathan previously suggested?
    • Is the program showing when you go to Control Panel >
      Programs
      > Programs and feature?

Regards.

Angela Pun, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

Unable to change default program

1. Unable to change default program - Similar Threads - Unable change default

2. Unable to Change Default Program for File Type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Change Default Program for File Type: Hi, I'm having trouble changing the default program associated with a specific file type on my Windows 10 computer. Whenever I try to change it via the "Open with" option or through the Control Panel, the changes don't take effect. The file type remains associated with the...
  3. Unable to Change Default Program for File Type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Change Default Program for File Type: Hi, I'm having trouble changing the default program associated with a specific file type on my Windows 10 computer. Whenever I try to change it via the "Open with" option or through the Control Panel, the changes don't take effect. The file type remains associated with the...
  4. Unable to Change Default Program for File Type

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. unable to change default program based on file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to change default program based on file type: i tried to open a file and it popped up the thing to select a default program for that file type, but chose the wrong program. if i go into my settings to try to change the default it no longer lets me choose any program other than the one i already chose or something from...
  6. Unable to use Groove Music and change it as a default program

Unable to use Groove Music and change it as a default program: [ATTACH] Music Groove default can not be changed. It does not work and can not be changed. At every startup of the PC Written no possible to install, we will soon try again. Why can not I change the default music Groove app?...
  7. Unable to use Groove Music and change it as a default program

Unable to use Groove Music and change it as a default program: Music Groove default can not be changed. It does not work and can not be changed. At every startup of the PC Written no possible to install, we will soon try again. Why can not I change the default music Groove app?[ATTACH][ATTACH] ***Modified title from: Music Groove...
  8. Change default program

Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  9. Windows 10 unable to change default program associations

Windows 10 unable to change default program associations: Running Version 1803 (17134.345) and I'm unable to change the default program associated with various file extensions. Basically I'd like to be able to use Notepad++ for a lot of text files, but no matter how many times I try to change it via Properties/Opens With or via...
  10. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...