Windows 10: Unable to change DNS servers in Windows 10 Home & Pro

Discus and support Unable to change DNS servers in Windows 10 Home & Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good afternoon all, I've been trying to change DNS servers for the best part of a day but Windows 10 (both Home & Pro) is steadfastly resisting my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by finnfire, Jan 18, 2017.

1. finnfire Win User

Unable to change DNS servers in Windows 10 Home & Pro

Good afternoon all,

I've been trying to change DNS servers for the best part of a day but Windows 10 (both Home & Pro) is steadfastly resisting my attempts.

I've set the IPv4 adapter settings for both Google and OpenDNS servers but when I run the DNS Leak Test (dnsleaktest.com) it always displays my ISP's DNS servers. I don't get this problem with either macOS or Linux.

I've run gpedit.msc (on Pro) to enable 'Turn off smart multi-homed name resolution', then re-booted, but the result is always the same - leak test shows ISP's DNS servers.

Ok, this isn't a major issue when I'm connect to my ISP, but it rather defeats the object when I use VPN.

Am I missing something? Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction *Smile

TIA,

Steve

:)

finnfire, Jan 18, 2017
  2. LemP Win User

The DNS server might be having problems. Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

It's not clear what you mean by "tried the comments suggested," but generally the DNS server used by most home users is the one provided by their Internet Service Provider (ISP).

You can check with your ISP's support desk to see if they have been having issues and if so when that might be resolved.

You can also change the DNS server you use to something more reliable, such as those provided by Google or OpenDNS.

Google: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

If you want to change DNS servers, you can do this on a per-computer basis or make the change in your router, which will change the DNS servers used by all of your computers.

Directions for changing DNS servers on a Windows 10 computer are here:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-...

If you want to change DNS servers in your router, please provide the make and specific model of the router.

3. Cybdiver Win User
    Win 8 Phone DNS settings will they be available for manual configuration?

Try changing the DNS settings on your router at home. Leave it to DHCP from your ISP and only change the DNS to a public DNS server.

Unfortunately this will only solve your problem at home.

Cybdiver, Jan 18, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Have you tried testing it on a VPN link? It may be some kind of ISP policy that's preventing reassignment when you go direct through their network and not through a VPN tunnel. Just checked through a tutorial and saw that you have to do this for both IPv4 and IPv6. Windows 10 uses IPv6 preferentially, when both IPv4 and IPv6 are available. Could it be that you do have access to IPv6, and have only set "Smart DNS" for IPv4? Please check and see. That would be a perfect explanation for why this is happening.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 18, 2017
  5. finnfire Win User
    Eureka! The answer in the end is simple - change the DNS servers in my router. This I've done and Windows now behaves itself. It's a good solution in that it works for all devices - Win 10, macOS, Linux, iOS, etc - but it's still a workaround for Win 10.

But thanks for the suggestion Ed, because it got me thinking about IPv6 and that led me into the router to see what it is doing about IPv6, and then I spotted the option to configure DNS manually..... *Smile

finnfire, Jan 18, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    You're very welcome finnfire. Glad you got it sorted! Best wishes for smooth sailing for a while, too!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to change DNS servers in Windows 10 Home & Pro - Similar Threads - Unable change DNS

2. DNS server automatically changes to manual DNS and assigns a DNS server IP by itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS server automatically changes to manual DNS and assigns a DNS server IP by itself: DNS settings in Laptop wifi adaptor gets changed automatically to manual DNS and assigns local DNS server IP by itself https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-server-automatically-changes-to-manual-dns-and/fc65e86e-d189-40ef-8776-c691d61a6adc
  3. Windows changing my DNS Servers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows changing my DNS Servers: Hi, my windows installation is always changing my DNS servers to 127.0.2.2 and 127.0.2.3 every time the machine is restarted, i keep changing to another DNS Servers and after the restart windows changes....
  4. Windows changing my DNS Servers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows changing my DNS Servers: Hi, my windows installation is always changing my DNS servers to 127.0.2.2 and 127.0.2.3 every time the machine is restarted, i keep changing to another DNS Servers and after the restart windows changes....
  5. Windows changing my DNS Servers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Can't change DNS server

Can't change DNS server: I'm trying change DNS Server to 8.8.8.8 in my Wi-Fi propeties in IPv4 propeties, but always appear error like thisnot long time ago it can change, how to fix this ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-dns-server/e9645394-7ac0-4b91-ab22-eea9f832d869
  7. DNS Server Address Number Home in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    DNS Server Address Number Home in Windows 10: Omnya Bafarat’s HP Laptop DNS Server Address Number Point Access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-server-address-number-home-in-windows-10/7279c9f8-d9ea-4130-a26e-0a13050455fe
  8. Change DNS Server

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change DNS Server: When changing DNS Server do you need to change only Internet Protocol Version 4 or you need to change Internet Protocol Version 6 as well? From what Ive read some include IPv6 some don't so I dont know if I should change both or just IPv4. I wanted to change to Cloudflare...
  9. Change Preferred DNS server

Change Preferred DNS server: Hello have fresh installation Windows 10 (up to date), version 1803, build 17134.320 In network configuration Prefered DNS server always has value 172.0.0.1. I make the change to my need and after save and flush DNS ipconfig /flushdns value get back to 172.0.0.1 Thank you...
  10. Changing DNS server

Changing DNS server: Can I use either one of these to change my DNS server. I have a T-Mobile version of the ASUS TM-AC1900 router. The ASUS does not seem to have an alternate address input 92132