Windows 10: Unable to change Documents Location

Discus and support Unable to change Documents Location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Documents folder is currently mapped to a network attached storage drive that has been decommissioned. When I select Properties on the Documents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mark Rutz, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Mark Rutz Win User

Unable to change Documents Location

My Documents folder is currently mapped to a network attached storage drive that has been decommissioned. When I select Properties on the Documents folder and choose the Locations tab, I am unable to edit the path in the text field. In addition, the Restore Default, Move and Find Target buttons are not displayed as one would expect. This problem also affects the Music, Pictures and Videos folders.My IT administrators indicate that AD was used to define home directories for our accounts. They have removed the M: drive mapping to the network share in Active Directory.&nbs

:)

Mark Rutz, Apr 23, 2021
  2. bbxrider Win User

can't change location of Documents folder

chased down a bunch of posts for the error message but not found an answer yet

I added a new registry entry that was a post suggestion to fix

Unable to change Documents Location [​IMG]

I'm suspicious it has some thing to do with Documents being in OneDrive?

The folder, mydocs, on my G drive is a copy of the Documents folder from a replaced drive, when I first got the
    error I changed the folder name to myDocs thinking maybe the problem was do to having the same folder name
    on the target move location.

bbxrider, Apr 23, 2021
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Apr 23, 2021
  4. Andman150 Win User

Messed Up Changing the Location of the Downloads Folder in Windows 10

Hi - there were no files in the Documents folder. I found this thread Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders which suggested that the problem is related to the OneDrive folders. I uninstalled OneDrive, but now I have a new error message which says C:\Users\andree\OneDrive\Documents is unavailable. I also seen another folder C:\Users\andre which is the one I assume I should move, but there is no Location tab in the Documents properties screen.

Andman150, Apr 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Unable to change Documents Location - Similar Threads - Unable change Documents

2. Unable to restore default location of Documents.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to restore default location of Documents.: I am using Windows 11 with OneDrive. OneDrive will not allow me restore default location of my documents folder. The only document folder that is available is the one listed in Users/Marc/OneDrive. When I try to restore default location through the properties dialog box, it...
  3. Unable to restore default location of Documents.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to restore default location of Documents.: I am using Windows 11 with OneDrive. OneDrive will not allow me restore default location of my documents folder. The only document folder that is available is the one listed in Users/Marc/OneDrive. When I try to restore default location through the properties dialog box, it...
  4. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  5. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  6. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to change location of Documents or Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to change location of Documents or Pictures folder: When I bring up the Document Properties window, and click on the Location tab, the window id missing the 3 buttons (Restore Default, Move, Find Target) that everyone else seems to have. And the path field is not editable. Any ideas? 155160
  8. Changing Documents location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Documents location: Following Microsoft instructions, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310746/configuration-of-the-my-documents-folder, last updated in April of 2017 and then looking at their instructions on how you can actually still do this in a new 2019 instruction piece,...
  9. Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders: When I try to change the location of the documents folder and the pictures folder, I get a message, "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied." I get this message whether or not I choose to move the files...
  10. Documents Location Changed But Property Location Is Correct - ???

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents Location Changed But Property Location Is Correct - ???: Greetings! I tried to search for posts on my issue but all that comes up is advice on how to move your Documents folder. I already did that. I changed my location from my SSD C:\ drive to my data drive E:\. Everything seemed fine until today when I navigated to the E: drive...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to change documents folder location

2. error changing documents location from onedrive