Windows 10: Unable to change file Details under Properties

Discus and support Unable to change file Details under Properties in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I have 2 .mp3 files I uploaded of which I am unable to change the file properties. I downloaded both files, put them in my playlists folder, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KatieWohldmann, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Unable to change file Details under Properties

Hello

I have 2 .mp3 files I uploaded of which I am unable to change the file properties. I downloaded both files, put them in my playlists folder, and when I right click each file and go to Properties ---> Details, there is no way to change the song title or artist. The song title and artist lines are just highlighted blue, and clicking on them does nothing.

I also tried to change them by left clicking the file and choosing File at the top and clicking on Properties. I tried the same thing with a different song in my Playlists folder with no issue.

Neither file has Read only or Hidden as selected attributes.

One of the songs will play on Windows Media Player, but the other song's properties says it has 0 Bytes next to both Size and Size on Disk, and will not play on Windows Media Player.

I tried deleting those songs and uploading the same 2 songs off my external HD again with no luck.

Thank you to anyone who responds! Happy holidays!

:)

KatieWohldmann, Dec 29, 2020

2. MP3 file property details

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are looking for an option to edit the Metadata of the mp3 files. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Were you able to make the changes in metadata with other details?
    Please provide a screenshot, when you are trying to edit the metadata.
    Please follow the steps mentioned in the
    screenshot
    posted by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshots.) Do not share any personal information in the screenshots.

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

1. Press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
    2. Browse the location of the songs you want to edit.
    3. Right-click a song, and select
      Properties. Click the Details tab.
    4. Everything you see in the "Details" tab is part of the metadata information, and you can quickly edit most of it by clicking the value field next to the property. Some of the information that you can update
      includes song title (not the file name), album name, artist, genre, publisher, mood, and much more.
    5. After updating the metadata information, click the
      Apply button.
    6. Click the Ok button.

However, you can also check in Microsoft Store, Apps for MP3 metadata editors and use the one that is suitable for you.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Changing Property Details

So I have a couple video files on my computer that organize themselves with the property details title instead of the name I give it. Ive been trying to change or delete the "Title" it was given but then it tells me I need permission from the administrator.
    But the admin it lists...is me....

does ANYONE know how I can just delete the title? or give myself permission to change it?

Unable to change file Details under Properties 4487dbed-6ef9-4a89-bd7d-85faa593733b.jpg

KaseyStugart, Dec 29, 2020
  4. OCjp Win User

Unable to change file Details under Properties

Windows Explorer/file Properties Details not displaying tags

I'm trying to tag documents so they can be found easily but I don't have the option to add a tag to a file. The Details panel in my Windows Explorer does not display tags in the list of properties. Also, when I right-click a file, go to Properties and then click the Details tab, tags are not listed there either.

Is there a way to turn this feature on? Thanks in advance for any help.

Thema:

Unable to change file Details under Properties

1. Unable to change file Details under Properties - Similar Threads - Unable change file

2. How to Edit Description under Details tab in Properties for a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Edit Description under Details tab in Properties for a file: Hello,I am trying to have some files by grouped by description. Im using win11. I go to properties for the file>details tab>description. I enter my description and it says "File Access Denied" and "You'll need to provide administrator permissions to apply properties to this...
  3. How to Edit Description under Details tab in Properties for a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Edit Description under Details tab in Properties for a file: Hello,I am trying to have some files by grouped by description. Im using win11. I go to properties for the file>details tab>description. I enter my description and it says "File Access Denied" and "You'll need to provide administrator permissions to apply properties to this...
  4. Can not edit file property details

Can not edit file property details: I'm aware this has been discussed before, but I can not add an album artist to a file that has no album artist. I want to change it so I have a way to categorize the file. However, the suggested way of changing details does not work pressing F2 while the file is open. If any...
  5. Property Drop-Down Menu under Details Tab

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Property Drop-Down Menu under Details Tab: When I go to device manager and click on let's say human interface devices and then click on properties properties in the drop down menu list in the details tab tab I get items that look something like {3464f7a4-2444-40b1-980a-e090ecb6d912} [10]What the hell are these??Here's...
  6. Property Drop-Down Menu under Details Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Property Drop-Down Menu under Details Tab: When I go to device manager and click on let's say human interface devices and then click on properties properties in the drop down menu list in the details tab tab I get items that look something like {3464f7a4-2444-40b1-980a-e090ecb6d912} [10]What the hell are these??Here's...
  7. Property Drop-Down Menu under Details Tab

8. File owner does not change on the Details tab of the Properties window

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File owner does not change on the Details tab of the Properties window: I made the MS Word document and I need to remove all personal information from the file properties. When I go to the file properties on Details tab I see my username original file owner despite I've changed the file owner on the Security Settings to the "Administrator"...
  9. MP3 file property details

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MP3 file property details: When I update mp3 properties details contributing artist, a drop down window appears with artist names. How do I add artist to this list? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp3-file-property-details/16ba24b3-cbf1-48b6-864c-c88c978712bc"
  10. Add, Change, and Remove File Property Details in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add, Change, and Remove File Property Details in Windows 10: How to: Add, Change, and Remove File Property Details in Windows 10 [img] Information The properties of some files (ex: music, images, videos, etc...) can contain details (metadata) that tell a lot about the file and possibly personal information. While property details...