Windows 10: Unable to change Language Bar settings in Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Unable to change Language Bar settings in Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use multiple keyboard layouts in Windows 10 Home. A few months ago I was able to set up keyboard shortcuts to switch between them (I have three of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by echristopherson78, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Unable to change Language Bar settings in Windows 10 Home

I use multiple keyboard layouts in Windows 10 Home. A few months ago I was able to set up keyboard shortcuts to switch between them (I have three of them; they comprise two languages, one of which is set up with one layout and the other of which has two layouts); but the keyboard shortcuts I chose (Shift+Alt+1/2/3) never seemed to actually work -- first of all, using those combinations never changed the keyboard language or layout, and secondly, when I would go back into the keyboard language settings, one or more of my shortcuts would no longer be listed.

Today I noticed a whole new wrinkle: I can't get into Language Bar settings at all. Here's how the problem can be reproduced:

* Click on language thing in taskbar/tray ("ENG US")
    * Click Language Preferences
    * Click Advanced Keyboard Settings
    * Settings shows message in red: "*Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization."
    * Click Language bar options
    * A dialog pops up and says:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\control.exe (= title bar)

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Questions:

1. Why does Settings tell me some settings are hidden? I'm not in an organization; this is my home computer.

2. How can I configure Language Bar settings (or any other settings that impact how the keyboard language/layout is changed or how the "ENG US" thing in the taskbar is displayed or not displayed)?

I've found "helpful" web pages that give a plethora of "solutions" to this supposed organization-imposed permissions problem; one that keeps popping up is to turn telemetry on via a registry key (Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection\AllowTelemetry) and start a certain service (dmwappushsvc). I admit I did try that, but since it didn't help I just stopped the service and deleted the registry key (which hadn't existed previously) it had me create. I don't believe I have turned Windows telemetry off on this computer since I reinstalled Windows last, so I don't know why it would need to be turned on.

Other web pages said to use Group Policy Editor, but since I have Home I wasn't able to try those. And finally, a lot of the pages talking about the message "*Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization" were saying that it showed up when they'd try to do Windows updates. I haven't noticed that problem in the Updates interface, although I have changed my networks to "metered" in order to avoid the October 2018 update that has been deleting people's files -- I will toggle them back once it looks like that update has been patched.

As an aside, I just discovered the Windows+Space shortcut, which seems like a good way to switch between them. Also, I notice that now when I hit Shift+Alt+1/2/3, the computer plays a sound; previously when I would press them, there was no sound and no visual or behavioral change was noticed.

:)

echristopherson78, Oct 6, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Oct 6, 2018
  3. unable to change the language of UI

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

To assist you better I would like to know, what was the base language for your previous Operating system?

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Remove the Existing language.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Control panel.

• Select language.

• Click on the Option adjacent to the
      Existing language.

• Click on remove under input method.
    Step 2: Add English Language.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Control panel.

• Select language.

• Click on Add language.

• Add the English language from the given list.

If you want a language pack:

You may refer to the suggestions posted by Andre Da Costa on the following thread.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-edition/930628cd-18a0-4a21-8270-284584397495

Hope this information was helpful.

Sahil Bali, Oct 6, 2018
  4. Unable to change Language Bar settings in Windows 10 Home

The function "Change language bar hot keys " has a bug.

Hi Chen,

We would like to know more about your concern. Kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• When did you start encountering the issue?
    • Have you made any changes on your computer prior to this issue?
    • Were the hotkeys settings on your Windows 10 computer ever worked before?
    Meanwhile, we suggest that you reconfigure your hotkeys settings by setting your key sequence to Not Assigned. To do this refer to the steps below:

• Go to Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Language > Advanced Settings.
    • Under Switching input methods, select Change language bar hot keys.
    • Select Between input languages, and then click Change Key Sequence.
    • Set Switch Keyboard Layout to Not Assigned.
    • Restart your computer.
    Once you're done with the process, you may then proceed to reconfigure your language bar hot keys to your desired settings. You may follow the steps above and select your preferred keyboard layout.

Should you need further assistance, let us know.

Monica Cam, Oct 6, 2018
Thema:

Unable to change Language Bar settings in Windows 10 Home

1. Unable to change Language Bar settings in Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Unable change Language

2. Change Language of Windows 10 Home Single Language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Language of Windows 10 Home Single Language: I have an laptop that has windows 10 home single language preinstalled 21h2 19044.2486 to it and its in portuguese. I wish I could change it to english. Have been searching everywhere but i couldnt find any solution to it. I wonder if i reset windows i could change the...
  3. Change Language of Windows 10 Home Single Language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Language of Windows 10 Home Single Language: I have an laptop that has windows 10 home single language preinstalled 21h2 19044.2486 to it and its in portuguese. I wish I could change it to english. Have been searching everywhere but i couldnt find any solution to it. I wonder if i reset windows i could change the...
  4. change language in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change language in Windows 10 Home: Hi Support! my licence accepts only one language for the system and that is the language of the country i bought the pc. what can i do to overcome this? i have changed the language i generally use, but whatever application i download is in that other language that makes it...
  5. change language in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change language in Windows 10 Home: Hi Support! my licence accepts only one language for the system and that is the language of the country i bought the pc. what can i do to overcome this? i have changed the language i generally use, but whatever application i download is in that other language that makes it...
  6. Unable to Change Language Completely Windows10 Home

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Change Language Completely Windows10 Home: Have bought a laptop in Portugal acer I have gone through all the install process and have got windows 10 up and running . Its in Portuguese which is what I expected. I have download the english language packs and loaded them and most of the language is now in English....
  7. Unable to change Windows Display Language on Home Edition

Unable to change Windows Display Language on Home Edition: I have just purchased a Russian Laptop with Windows 10 Home installed, but though I can download language packs, I can't change the system language to English. I have tried the various options on other threads here, but none work. Can anyone help please?...
  8. Changing language in windows 10 home single language

Changing language in windows 10 home single language: I bought a new laptop Lenovo 330S in Bogota 4 days ago. It was preinstalled Windows 10 home Single language in Spanish. Alhough I work in Bogota I do not speak Spanish and I want to change the single language instead of Spanish to English. How can I do this and how much...
  9. Windows 10 Language Setting and language bar Missing

Windows 10 Language Setting and language bar Missing: Hello, I have issues after latest windows update, I have language setting in control panel is missing, I can't write in search bar, I installed language before update I delete it after update and still there when I change keyboard by Alt+Shift (in powershell only 2 languages...
  10. Language Bar settings

Language Bar settings: Despite having the language bar settings set to hidden, the language bar is always displayed in the taskbar (next to the clock). Is there anyway to hide the language bar permanently? I have 2 languages installed (EN US and EN UK)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change language bar settings