Windows 10: Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive

Discus and support Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I followed instructions I found online to right click Documents, click on Properties, and change Location from C:\Users\Owner\Documents to D: I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BronxProf, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive

I followed instructions I found online to right click Documents, click on Properties, and change Location from C:\Users\Owner\Documents to D: I did that and got the message:The folder can't be moved here. Unexpected error from PerformRedirection The filename or extension is too long.

submitted by /u/BronxProf
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BronxProf, Mar 13, 2021

2. I changed my location for 'Documents' and now Drive D has the 'Documents' icon

I've always changed the location of Documents and Downloads to my 'Data' partition. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and changed Documents location to drive D. Usually the icon for these two folders follows and displays on drive D.

Not sure why it didn't this time, but can you tell me how I can change these 2 folder icons? I know how to change icons, but I don't see these 2 icons in the list of Windows icons.

Thx.

ckbeme102598, Mar 13, 2021
  3. I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D

I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D by right clicking the system folder, then I click the
    Location tab, click the Move tab and I select the Drive D and then i clicked
    apply. And then it messed up. The Download icon now becomes a shortcut for drive D: Then the User in program files hide the Acer folder. I can still see the path by typing it manually as C:Users\Acer\Downloads on the tab but not without typing
    it. Will it affect the performance of my computer. And by the way, can I save documents on Drive D as well?

Deejay McDane, Mar 13, 2021
  4. JREnglish Win User

Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive

My Documents file location set to a second drive. Unable to change file location back.

After installing a second drive I wanted to change the file location of 'Documents'. To do this I went the file properties to change its location from a file on drive C to a file on drive D. However I accidentally select drive D itself instead of the file
    within it. Now I cannot change the location of 'Documents', nor can I restore its default location. When I attempt to do so I receive this message: "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under "D:\System Volume Information". Access is denied."

Looking for any help available.

JREnglish, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive

1. Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive - Similar Threads - Unable Change Location

2. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  3. Cannot change location of Documents from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot change location of Documents from C drive to D drive: I want to change the location of "Documents" under "This PC" from the standard 'C:\Users\Guy\Documents' to 'D:\Documents'. The main reason being that the disk capacity of my C drive is quite small. I tried changing the location in properties for 'C:\Users\Guy\Documents' to...
  4. Transferring 'Documents' folder/files from C to D drive

Transferring 'Documents' folder/files from C to D drive: As the title says, I'm trying to move the folder to my D drive as my C drive has been rapidly losing storage not sure why, any tips on that? and so I wanted to free up space. Well, I was advised that I can redirect the 'documents' folder by right clicking the folder, going to...
  5. Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive

Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive: I have not been able to move my documents folder from my C drive, which is a solid state drive, to my D drive, which is a regular hard drive. I've tried going into the folder properties and changing the location, but it doesn't move. I do not have One Drive installed on my...
  6. Unable to change my documents folder from C:\Users\ade_b\OneDrive to D:\documents

Unable to change my documents folder from C:\Users\ade_b\OneDrive to D:\documents: I'm trying to change my documents folder from C:\Users\ade_b\OneDrive to D:\documents just get me an error message. The message says "can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be relocated. Access denied". The trouble is I can seen no...
  7. How do you MOVE Documents from C: Drive to D: Drive?

How do you MOVE Documents from C: Drive to D: Drive?: My computer is a hybrid of 256GB SS drive C: and an HDD 1 TB drive D:. All the data files have been saved to the C: drive so far, but now I have used up almost all of the 256GB. There is nothing on the D: drive. I want to move my Document folders and files, and Picture...
  8. I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D

I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D: I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D by right clicking the system folder, then I click theLocation tab, click the Move tab and I select the Drive D and then i clickedapply. And then it messed up. The Download icon now becomes a...
  9. Changing location of One Drive Pictures folders from a folder on c drive to d drive

Changing location of One Drive Pictures folders from a folder on c drive to d drive: I want the OneDrive to backup pictures from my d drive rather than my c drive. when I click location for my one drive pictures and try and change it I get the following error message Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same directory that can't be...
  10. Change "D" drive to "C" drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change "D" drive to "C" drive.: How do I copy all files on my "C" drive onto my current "D" drive (including bootup files and Windows 10), then change my "D" drive to "C" drive and my my old "C" drive to "D" drive?...