Windows 10: Unable to change Microsoft Authenticator email recovery account. What is best practice?

Discus and support Unable to change Microsoft Authenticator email recovery account. What is best practice? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I'm a bit confused with by what I've done with Microsoft Authenticator. Recently my phone died I've been going through the process of fixing up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Johannes_Warlock, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Unable to change Microsoft Authenticator email recovery account. What is best practice?

Hi,

I'm a bit confused with by what I've done with Microsoft Authenticator.

Recently my phone died I've been going through the process of fixing up all my 2FA accounts. I lost them all because I was using Google Authenticator.

For Microsoft Authenticator - I have set a recovery account. That receovery account is also on Microsoft Authenticator. If i lose my phone then I lose the 2FA???? Should I be using an account that's not on Microsoft Authenticator? I have tried changing the email recovery account but am unable to. Google searching this surprisingly difficult so any insight appreciated. Cheers.

submitted by /u/Johannes_Warlock
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Johannes_Warlock, Nov 28, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft Authenticator Account Backup and Recovery: Coming to iOS

Source: Microsoft Authenticator Account Backup and Recovery: Coming soon to an iOS device near you! Enterprise Mobility + Security

Brink, Nov 28, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft Authenticator Account Backup and Recovery: Coming to iOS

Source: Microsoft Authenticator Account Backup and Recovery: Coming soon to an iOS device near you! Enterprise Mobility + Security

Brink, Nov 28, 2020
  4. Unable to change Microsoft Authenticator email recovery account. What is best practice?

Windows Microsoft account authentication

I have a valid Microsoft account and a Windows 10 PC with Hello/PIN account login enabled. I also have the Microsoft Authenticator app installed on an iPhone and configured for the Microsoft account. Additionally, I have two step authentication configured
    for the Microsoft account. With all of that said, I have become very exasperated while trying to unravel the various authentication paths (and their security implications) through this multi level login security scheme. I find the associated account security
    documentation to be woefully inadequate. Thus, I would like to pose the following list of questions for starters.

1. Does Windows Hello/PIN amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

2. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt (without two step verification explicitly set up)

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

3. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt (with two step verification explicitly set up)

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

4. If answers to both 2 and 3 are yes, then what does explicit set up of two step authentication do?

5. Does a coherent, comprehensive document explaining Microsoft account security configuration exist somewhere?

6. If the answer to 5 is yes, wherer is it?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas E. Davis, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

Unable to change Microsoft Authenticator email recovery account. What is best practice?

1. Unable to change Microsoft Authenticator email recovery account. What is best practice? - Similar Threads - Unable change Microsoft

2. Account recovery with defunct Email, authenticator troubles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account recovery with defunct Email, authenticator troubles: I am trying ultimately reset my password for my Microsoft Account, However I no longer have access to my email account.My autofill passwords no longer work.I have tried to reset the old email through their services, and can not.I have tried the recovery form several times...
  3. Account recovery with defunct Email, authenticator troubles

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Account recovery with defunct Email, authenticator troubles: I am trying ultimately reset my password for my Microsoft Account, However I no longer have access to my email account.My autofill passwords no longer work.I have tried to reset the old email through their services, and can not.I have tried the recovery form several times...
  4. Account recovery with defunct Email, authenticator troubles

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. OneDrive best practice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  6. OneDrive best practice

OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  7. Multiple Work Accounts Best Practice?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple Work Accounts Best Practice?: We have business partners that use a certificate credential to access resources in our Tennent SharePoint Online, OneDrive, Access linked to SharePoint data, etc.. Resources are automatically shared though their valid certificate and group membership without having to...
  8. Multiple Work Accounts Best Practice?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Work Accounts Best Practice?: We have business partners that use a certificate credential to access resources in our Tennent SharePoint Online, OneDrive, Access linked to SharePoint data, etc.. Resources are automatically shared though their valid certificate and group membership without having to...
  9. Multiple Work Accounts Best Practice?

10. Microsoft Update Best Practices - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Update Best Practices - Windows 10: I have a classroom of 30 laptop computers running Windows 10. I am constantly having to run "Check for Updates" and "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update" to keep all my laptops running and updated. What are thebest practices to keep my laptops updated...