Windows 10: Unable to change network authentication method

Discus and support Unable to change network authentication method in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have a problem where I'm unable to change authentication method and therefore can't connect to the internet through ethernet adapter.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mrGauss, Apr 1, 2019.

1. mrGauss Win User

Unable to change network authentication method

Hello,

I have a problem where I'm unable to change authentication method and therefore can't connect to the internet through ethernet adapter.

Basically, I want to change my authentication method to SecureW2 TTLS because other methods don't work with my ISP. Screenshot showing the problem:

Unable to change network authentication method 1bbcf00f-3d34-4d3d-93b5-447960b9dad7?upload=true.png Unable to change network authentication method 9feed449-fc7a-4552-b96a-5f211eef329d?upload=true.png

After clicking OK, I get this error (The changes to Authentication settings could not be saved). I also get the same error if I for example try to uncheck "Enable IEEE 201.1x authentication" or if I try to change anything under Authentication tab.

Reinstalling Windows solved my problem a week ago, but now this error is back and I don't want to reinstall Windows again.

Things I've tried:

Reinstalling adapter

Updating adapter drivers

Restarting TCP/IP via netsh

Reinstalling SecureW2 (I have installation program for this authentication method)

Troubleshooting network

Restarting network

Probably couple more things I already forgot

Any solutions?

:)

mrGauss, Apr 1, 2019
  2. Rey Bel1 Win User

unable to change networks

Hi Yehya,

There are several reason why this issue occur but in your case, it possible that the network adapter is causing it. For us to better assist you with your concern, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Which Windows version and build are you using? Type winver in the search bar and press Enter.
    • Have you made any changes on your device prior to the issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages while trying to change network? Could you provide us a screenshot of it?
    • What have you done so far to troubleshoot the issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the checks and workarounds provided on this

article
    as an initial troubleshooting steps to identify and resolve issue.

For any results, please update this thread.

Rey Bel1, Apr 1, 2019
  3. VIC
    Vic Win User
    Windows 7 virtual wifi authentication mode

Hello.

Just a quick question to whoever is using windows 7 virtual wifi capability - when you type in "netsh wlan show hostednetwork", cmd window displays a list of settings for your hosted virtual wifi.

I was wondering, is there a way to change authentication method from WPA2-Personal to simple WEP ?

Cheers.

4. Unable to change network authentication method

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Apr 1, 2019
Thema:

Unable to change network authentication method

1. Unable to change network authentication method - Similar Threads - Unable change network

2. Unable to download authenticator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to download authenticator: why your authentticator not letting me download it off the bar code on micorsoft page<Original Title - "Help"> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-download-authenticator/2c921eb0-445e-494b-89df-2248100f481d
  3. Unable to download authenticator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to download authenticator: why your authentticator not letting me download it off the bar code on micorsoft page<Original Title - "Help"> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-download-authenticator/2c921eb0-445e-494b-89df-2248100f481d
  4. Unable to download authenticator

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Change network authentication method while disconnected.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change network authentication method while disconnected.: Recently, after mistakenly changing settings over work wifi, I'm no longer able to use the network or sign in anymore.After accidentally changing the network authentication method in network adapter settings, wifi now asks for a sign-in I'm normally just able to connect...
  6. Unable to add payment method

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to add payment method: Hi There, I'm unable to add payment method using a credit card based out of India, could you please help resolve this error. Here's the error Check the info you entered. It doesn't match the info for this card. I've checked with my bank and there are no issues with the...
  7. Billing Method Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Billing Method Change: My DEBIT card expired in September 2020 and I did not get a new card until 10/2020. I have not been able to pay my bill or update my new card to pay my MSN internet service. I was able to update my card to pay for Microsoft Office 365. This should be a easy process from your...
  8. Login Authentication Method when lid is closed

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login Authentication Method when lid is closed: Are there any plans in the works to customize the default login method for when the lid is open vs. closed? When I am at my desk, the lid is typically closed, and when I first present myself to the laptop, it's trying to recognize my face... But obviously the camera is...
  9. Can't share local drive on Win10 with authentication method

Can't share local drive on Win10 with authentication method: Dear people, I will try to explain my issue to the best. How do I share files or folders or the contents of entire local drive to other people on network with authentication (Without file sharing wizard in folder options) like we used to do in Windows XP? When following the...
  10. Public/Private network will not change - all methods not working

Public/Private network will not change - all methods not working: Can’t change a publicnetwork to a private one. Tried all posts on what to do - nothing works – remainspublic. Example – when in file explorer – try network – “error” need to makenetwork “accessible click here” which should change to private – does not work. A few weeks, ago...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changes to authentication settings could not be saved

2. the changes to authentification settings could not be saved

3. the changes to authentication settings could not be saved

4. Unable to update authentication methods for user,
  5. unanle to change 802.1x settings windows 11,
  6. wi dows 10 ltsc the changes pn authentication setting could not be save,
  7. authentication changes cannot br saved,
  8. change network authentication,
  9. the change to authentication settings could not be saved windows 10,
  10. change 802.1x and the changes to authentication settings could not be saved,
  11. changes to authentication settings cannot be saved windows 10,
  12. the change to authentication setting could not be saved,
  13. unable to change microsoft authentication,
  14. unable to change authentication settings on network adapter,
  15. change ethernet authentication