Windows 10: Unable to change Read Only

Discus and support Unable to change Read Only in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys Just upgrading to Win 10 and noticed this morning that I am unable to change the settings from Read Only to allow all saved work. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stokkers, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Stokkers Win User

Unable to change Read Only

Hi Guys

Just upgrading to Win 10 and noticed this morning that I am unable to change the settings from Read Only to allow all saved work. I have tried changing the Preferences, but as soon as I do, Apply, Ok and the settings refer back to Read Only.

I haven't noticed this on any documents,only on Pictures. I have tried changing the directory and Pictures, but no luck.

Any non too technical solutions?

Many thanks.

:)

Stokkers, Aug 24, 2015
  2. tdug Win User

Unable to change read only settings on folders

I had the problem too but insisted.

After some tries, I succeded in being the owner of My documents again.

I now can work with all my documents and folders with no problem up to now.

3. Unable to change read only settings on folders

I keep trying to fix this problem. When I uncheck the read only box I get a confirmation window and the a window that say's "you will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes" click continue to complete this operation. But when
    I click continue nothing happens and the change doesn't happen. Before it just asked for my administrator name and password but it doesn't do that anymore.

GregHopkins919, Aug 24, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Stokkers, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Unable to change Read Only [​IMG]
    Read-only box = Default neutral setting for a folder that is always displayed. This is not set as read-only.

Unable to change Read Only [​IMG]
    Read-only box = File is read-only. For a folder, it means all files in the folder are set to be read-only when applied. Only displays temporarily while setting it.

Read-only File and Folder Attribute - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Aug 24, 2015
  5. Stokkers Win User
    Thanks for your reply. Seems like the problem was due to the network being open

Stokkers, Aug 24, 2015
  6. I have always used a shared folder to allow me to copy photos from my android phone to my HP PC. The shared folder now seems to be marked read only and my android phone using ES File Explorer is unable to copy photos to the PC. Help!

Oh yes. I keep setting the read only off and then recheck and find it back to read only.... GRRRR.

californiabob, Sep 26, 2015
  7. ES File Explorer had an old IP. I just had to edit it. The folder was not read only, it just had the dot in the middle that means you can enter something.

californiabob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to change Read Only - Similar Threads - Unable change Read

2. changing a USB drive that is a read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing a USB drive that is a read only: changing a USB drive that is a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-usb-drive-that-is-a-read-only/8a92c136-af0d-4610-9681-73e37a5a7660
  3. changing a USB drive that is a read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    changing a USB drive that is a read only: changing a USB drive that is a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-usb-drive-that-is-a-read-only/8a92c136-af0d-4610-9681-73e37a5a7660
  4. read only change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    read only change: how to fix the stubborn read-only status ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-change/f469db65-bc46-4459-8935-8505d683998e
  5. read only change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    read only change: how to fix the stubborn read-only status ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-change/f469db65-bc46-4459-8935-8505d683998e
  6. read only change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. My SSD is read only but I am unable to change it in properties?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My SSD is read only but I am unable to change it in properties?: Hello,I would like to put my gameplay recordings and documents on my D: drive, but it constantly asks for the admin password before i move them or just edit D: in any way. I'm unsure on how this happened, but I install my game launchers e.g. Steam, Epic on my C: and install...
  8. Windows 10 - "Desktop" folder is "Read Only", Unable to change it

Windows 10 - "Desktop" folder is "Read Only", Unable to change it: Hello I would like to change the "Folder Access Rights" of the folder "Desktop" from "Read Only" to otherwise. When I try to change the rights, it acknowledges the change. However when I check again, it goes back to "Read Only". What do I do? Thank You Deepak...
  9. Permission in changing read only

Permission in changing read only: So, I just got xbox game pass and I want to install a mod in one of the games, but the directory of the game is in WindowsApps. Because of this, I have gone through and changed ownership permission so my user account has full control over all files and folders in WindowsApps....
  10. Search folder changes to read only

in Cortana
    Search folder changes to read only: Hi, Problem with a W10 /pro 64 bit workstation, version 1803 17131.407. After the latest update the search stopped finding stuff. Even in a folder with a file like photo.jpg, a search for photo or photo.* or even photo.jpg showed nothing. This had happened before....