Windows 10: Unable to change resolution on a laptop using Windows 10 with Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

Discus and support Unable to change resolution on a laptop using Windows 10 with Microsoft Basic Display Driver. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My laptops GPU recently stopped working, forcing me to use the basic Microsoft driver in order to get a working display. The only issue is I need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Mederer, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Mederer Win User

Unable to change resolution on a laptop using Windows 10 with Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

My laptops GPU recently stopped working, forcing me to use the basic Microsoft driver in order to get a working display. The only issue is I need to lower the resolution, although the option to do so appears grayed out in the display settings. Advanced display settings doesn't give me the option to do so either.

Very disappointing that such a basic and needed feature doesn't appear to be available using the basic display drivers, I sure hope I'm missing something.

:)

Mederer, Jan 7, 2019

2. Microsoft Basic Display Driver???

Dell studio laptop built for Windows 7 in 2010 (quite old).

Upgraded to windows 10 when it was released.

Has worked perfectly until 2 days ago when it dropped resolution from 1920x1080 back to 1024x768.

In device manager it correctly shows a mobility radeon 4500 series.

In display settings it has a max resolution of 1400x1050 which is squashed and useless.

Under display adapter properties it shows as Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

Tried installing ATI drivers.

Tried uninstalling/installing ATI drivers.

Tried uninstalling/installing Microsoft drivers.

All result in the same phenomenon.

Tried clean install of Windows 10 v1709

Tried clean install of Windows 10 v1607

Tried clean install of Windows 7 - resolved issue.

Tried upgrade back to windows 10 - resolution dropped.

Went into display adapter properties and updated driver, it updated to radeon 4500 series and briefly changed to 1080p. Then flickered and changed back to basic display driver.

Now useless, will have to go back to Windows 7 again which is hugely frustrating...

James Goodman, Jan 7, 2019
  3. Laptop Screen Resolution Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest you to update the Display Adapter Drivers.

Step 1: Update the Display Adapter driver.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right on the Display Adapter and click on Update driver software.

Refer to: How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

Step 2: Kindly follow the below steps to change the resolution of the screen and check:

• Type Change screen resolution in the Search box from the desktop.

• Under Resolution search for the Recommended resolution and click on Apply.

• A windows pops up saying "Keep these display settings", then select Keep changes.

There will be a recommended resolution for all the computers, and if you select more than the recommended resolution the screen would not support for that.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact us for any further issues on Windows. We will be happy to help you.

Regards.

Armand Cos, Jan 7, 2019
  4. Unable to change resolution on a laptop using Windows 10 with Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

Display resolution keeps changing

Hi Rick,

It might be caused by a faulty driver that's why your display resolution keeps changing. We
    suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the display driver, see steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager.
    • For graphics cards, expand the Display adapters category, right click your graphics card and select Uninstall.
    • Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

Unable to change resolution on a laptop using Windows 10 with Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

1. Unable to change resolution on a laptop using Windows 10 with Microsoft Basic Display Driver. - Similar Threads - Unable change resolution

2. How to adjust resolution with microsoft basic display driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to adjust resolution with microsoft basic display driver?: Hi All, Due to any kind of compatibility issue, I need to use microsoft basic display driver rather than chipset vendor's driver. But the MS basic display driver just supports 800x600 resolution only. Plz advice how can I use 1920x1200 resolution with this driver. Thank you....
  3. How to adjust resolution with microsoft basic display driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to adjust resolution with microsoft basic display driver?: Hi All, Due to any kind of compatibility issue, I need to use microsoft basic display driver rather than chipset vendor's driver. But the MS basic display driver just supports 800x600 resolution only. Plz advice how can I use 1920x1200 resolution with this driver. Thank you....
  4. How to adjust resolution with microsoft basic display driver?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Better resolution with the Microsoft Basic Display Driver?

Better resolution with the Microsoft Basic Display Driver?: My current GPU An NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 Ti has essentially died. I can only use it by not installing NVIDIA drivers and using the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, so that's what I've done while I can't afford a new GPU.My PC was working fine in general apart from not being...
  6. Better resolution with the Microsoft Basic Display Driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Better resolution with the Microsoft Basic Display Driver?: My current GPU An NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 Ti has essentially died. I can only use it by not installing NVIDIA drivers and using the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, so that's what I've done while I can't afford a new GPU.My PC was working fine in general apart from not being...
  7. Better resolution with the Microsoft Basic Display Driver?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. microsoft basic display driver

microsoft basic display driver: my graphics is set as microsoft basic display driver, its a recent problem after my son tried to install a high tech graphics driver for his gaming and I got the BSOD and have been trying to fix the problem myself. I uninstalled the original graphics driver but I can't...
  9. microsoft basic display driver

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    microsoft basic display driver: Hi, I have dell N1050 Laptop. For some reason I cannot use intel graphics driver and can only use Microsoft basic display driver. I went to repair shop to fix this. they say its hardware and can't be fixed without changing motherboard. I can't spend that much right now. I...
  10. windows 10 basic display driver resolution options

windows 10 basic display driver resolution options: I purchased a desktop and an ultra wide monitor (2560x1080), and the max resolution option is 1280 x 1024 with all resolutions stretching to the display to the screen obscuring it visually. The driver in the system is "microsoft basic display driver" version 10.0.17134.1...