Windows 10: Unable to change screen resolution for external monitor

Discus and support Unable to change screen resolution for external monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Surface Laptop 3, and a Viotek 34" ultrawide monitor, connected through the Microsoft docking station using Display port to Mini-Display port.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Wtwo3, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Wtwo3 Win User

Unable to change screen resolution for external monitor

I have a Surface Laptop 3, and a Viotek 34" ultrawide monitor, connected through the Microsoft docking station using Display port to Mini-Display port.

When I originally connected my laptop, I was able to adjust the external monitor's resolution with no problem. Recently, it's stuck at 640x480 and grayed out so I can't adjust it. I've updated all drivers, uninstalled/reinstalled, restarted computer, but nothing seems to be working.

The odd thing is, my wife's computer, a Surface Laptop 2, has no problem with adjusting the resolution on the external monitor. Anyone experience a similar issue?

:)

Wtwo3, Feb 23, 2020
  2. Kaesgaan Win User

Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

Hey everyone,

I recently bought an external monitor for my laptop and I would like to use both of the screens in extended mode.

The problem is that my laptop's screen resolution is 1366x768 and the external monitor's resolution is 1440x900.
    How do I change the resolution individually for each screen? I can change the external's resolution by using "second screen only" mode, but when in extended mode, I can only go with 1366x768. I tried searching on google, but with no luck.

Is there even a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Kaesgaan, Feb 23, 2020
  3. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a window or so to the other screen like youtube etc to the laptop screen.

My issue at the moment is everything is way too big on the laptop screen. I want to have 1920x1080 resolution but its way too big. I googled what is my resolution on it and it shows 1536 x 864. Can someone tell me how to change this to 1920x1080?

My external monitor which is my main monitor is fine at the moment with the 1920x1200.

paulyjustin, Feb 23, 2020
  4. Kaesgaan Win User

Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

I still haven't figured it out. In Intel graphics control panel, I can change settings individually for each monitor, but when in extended mode, I can change the external monitor's resolution to 1366x768 only. In Windows Settings (while in extended) I can't change the resolution at all:

Unable to change screen resolution for external monitor [​IMG]

Kaesgaan, Feb 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to change screen resolution for external monitor - Similar Threads - Unable change screen

2. Windows not able to change resolution w/ external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows not able to change resolution w/ external monitor: I try to keep this short.Have a Asus TUF FX516PR. Since last year and a AOC Agon AG493UCX. Its a huge monitor in 32:9 if someone doesn't know, connected via usb-c. Last week i bought a new ssd and installed it. Put Windows10 on it and installed the Drivers from the Asus...
  3. Windows not able to change resolution w/ external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not able to change resolution w/ external monitor: I try to keep this short.Have a Asus TUF FX516PR. Since last year and a AOC Agon AG493UCX. Its a huge monitor in 32:9 if someone doesn't know, connected via usb-c. Last week i bought a new ssd and installed it. Put Windows10 on it and installed the Drivers from the Asus...
  4. Unable to change resolution of 3rd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change resolution of 3rd monitor: I am running 2 extra monitors besides my laptop monitor. When I booted up today, monitor 3 is set at 640x480 and i can't change is, the option is not active . It has always been set to 1920x1080. How can i fix this...
  5. Unable to change resolution of 3rd monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change resolution of 3rd monitor: I am running 2 extra monitors besides my laptop monitor. When I booted up today, monitor 3 is set at 640x480 and i can't change is, the option is not active . It has always been set to 1920x1080. How can i fix this...
  6. Unable to change resolution of 3rd monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. external monitor screen resolution seems off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    external monitor screen resolution seems off: Hi guys, I just updated my graphic driver for my external monitor and all of the sudden, the resolution of my 2nd monitor looks odd. The scaling is a lot bigger and the task bar at the bottom of my screen is bigger on my 2nd monitor. How do I resolve this issue? Any help...
  8. External Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Monitor Resolution: Last update, my laptop came back with the resolution of the external monitor set back to 1024x768, with its normal 1280x1024 not available to select. How do I get that resolution back?...
  9. Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?: Hey everyone, I recently bought an external monitor for my laptop and I would like to use both of the screens in extended mode. The problem is that my laptop's screen resolution is 1366x768 and the external monitor's resolution is 1440x900. How do I change the...
  10. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...