Windows 10: Unable to change the default application .JAR files use.

Discus and support Unable to change the default application .JAR files use. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Currently, I'm unable to change the default application used to start/open JAR files. The option is simply greyed out on my device, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Mr. Smith_Dev, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Unable to change the default application .JAR files use.

Unable to change the default application .JAR files use. 7cf72e05-0a9f-4188-bd30-60c274c6ec3f?upload=true.png

Currently, I'm unable to change the default application used to start/open JAR files. The option is simply greyed out on my device, and attempting to click on it redirects me to the Microsoft Store to try and download another application. I have multiple versions of Java installed on my machine already, so I see no reason why I'm not able to select the default app for only this file type. Any help would be appreciated...

:)

Mr. Smith_Dev, Mar 14, 2020

2. Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.

Have you tried the second solution?

"Open the Settings app. Navigate to the System > Default apps.

Scroll all the way down and select Choose default apps by file type.

Locate the .jar file type and choose a default application.

This method offers limited options and you can only choose applications recognized by Windows 10. Fortunately, there’s another method that you can try. To change file associations, do the following:

Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Control Panel from the list.

When Control Panel opens, select Default Programs.

Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Locate the .jar file on the list and double-click it.

A list of suggested applications will appear. Click on More apps.

Scroll all the way down and choose Look for another app on this PC.

Locate the javaw.exe file. By default, the application should be located in Program Files folder. Select the application and choose it as a default for .jar files.

Optional: Some users recommend changing the parameters of javaw.exe. To do that, simply locate the file and create its shortcut. Right-click it and navigate to the Properties. Now, locate the Target file and add -jar “%1” % . Be sure to select this newly created
    shortcut in Step 7.

You can also change file association by right clicking the jar file and choosing Open With > Choose another app. After doing that, follow the steps 5 to 8 from the above"

DouglasMillar69, Mar 14, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    jar files

Fixing .jar file opening on Windows requires two steps:

• Open the Control Panel, and chose "Default Programs - Associate a File type or protocol with a program". Find .jar extension (Executable JAR file) there, and pick Java as default program to open this extension. It will probably be listed as "Java Platform(SE)".
      A faster alternative perhaps is straightforward right-click on a .jar file, and then change associated program by clicking on the "Change..." button.
    • Now open the regedit, and open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command key. Luckilly for us, we may specify parameters there for the (Default) value. This is normally: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Mar 14, 2020
  4. Unable to change the default application .JAR files use.

How to change default programs to open .jar files in Windowws 10?

Hello Snott,

As you are facing issues with setting-up default program to access .jar files, we will help you with this issue.

Try few of the below steps to change the default program for .jar files and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, type default programs
      and select Default Programs.
    • Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select .jar file type and click on Change program.
    • Choose the program you wish to open with and click
      OK

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

Unable to change the default application .JAR files use.

1. Unable to change the default application .JAR files use. - Similar Threads - Unable change default

2. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  3. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  4. How to change jar files to open default.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change jar files to open default.: So I accidentally changed it so my jar files open with internet explorer and I would like to make it the default instead of any apps without a system reset please advise....
  5. I cannot change my default .jar file.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cannot change my default .jar file.: I am not sure how to reset my default .jar file. I have gone into settings and checked the 'choose default applications file type' and only internet explorer comes up Please Help Many Thanks RT...
  6. Unable to open jar files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open jar files: I've been trying to open jar file for a while now and it doesn't seem like anything is working. I have tried many different solutions that didn't seem to work. I've tried jarfix, but it didn't seem to help either. Whenever I try to open a jar file after restarting my...
  7. Local files are not using default application RemoteApp

Local files are not using default application RemoteApp: I am connecting to a Windows 2012R2 terminal server in a domain. There are about 15 users that connect to the server RemoteApp collection to run Office. They are all working except me. I was working fine until yesterday. I looked and no updates have been installed for more...
  8. Change Default Application

Change Default Application: How do I change the default application that opens a particular file type? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-application/76b98b25-e3f7-4485-bc93-e7c90d629275
  9. Default applications - not changing

Default applications - not changing: Default applications are not changing in app properties, but in the windows default app settings they are being saved. However, the files still open with their default assigned apps, which is usually not set....
  10. Any way to change default font used in applications?

Any way to change default font used in applications?: I hate MS Sans Serif and many programs use that as the default font for text boxes and labels - including Winaero Tweaker. I have already changed all my system fonts using Winaero Tweaker, yet these are still the same. Does anyone know a way to change the default font...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. default app changer java

2. App choose jar