Windows 10: Unable to change the user account to standard user from administrator on Windows 10.

Discus and support Unable to change the user account to standard user from administrator on Windows 10. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi - While trying to trouble shoot a new cable modem I was directed to an IT service tech by what I thought was the real cable modem support. Stupidly... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DB6332, Mar 30, 2019.

1. DB6332 Win User

Unable to change the user account to standard user from administrator on Windows 10.

Hi - While trying to trouble shoot a new cable modem I was directed to an IT service tech by what I thought was the real cable modem support. Stupidly I allowed this I tech remote access to my computer, stupid I know. He tried to get to pay to remove "malware" after showing me a large number of what he called "problems. I am running several different anti-virus & malware programs to make sure he didn't leave anything behind. I found that I am unable to change the user account to standard user from administrator on Windows 10 and not sure if this is a result of this or not.

Thanks

:)

DB6332, Mar 30, 2019
  2. E-one Win User

Is there still reason to use standard user account in Windows OS?

Thanks to all for taking the trouble to share your opinion. I personally have always had two accounts on my computer – administrator for administrator actions and standard for everyday use. The reason I'm asking is that some legitimate modern programs still require administrative permissions to run them in standard user. I suspect that some legitimate modern programs are unable to install updates in standard user even with administrative permissions. And some programs have limited functionality in standard user account. Last but not least, it's an extra work to set up and administer two accounts for one user of the computer and it takes up more space (relevant for SSD). This is all quite annoying.

As I’m the only user of my computer my only concern is adequate virus protection. I'm well aware of all the everyday hazard associated with using the computer in this day and age. I know how to use and properly configure antivirus software and firewall. So what I’m trying to find an answer to is whether or not UAC turns an administrator account into what is known as a protected administrator account, basically, an administrator account that runs with standard user account privileges. And if not, how much of a benefit for me to use standard user account for everyday work considering that I frequently have to deal with some of my programs constantly requiring administrative permissions to run and some are unable to install updates even with elevated permissions [in standard account].

E-one, Mar 30, 2019
  3. Standard user account created shows Administrator on Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you logging in using a Microsoft account on any of the created two user accounts?
    • Have you created 2 local account with administrative privileges on the computer?

Please be informed that Local user account as well as
    Microsoft user account
    can be considered as Standard user account. A
    Standard user account is the user account which do not have any administrative privileges.

It is possible to create two or more accounts with administrative privileges on computers running with Windows 10 operating system.

If you want to convert one of the user account as a standard account, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Control panel in the search box and select the top most search result.
    • Select User Accounts and click on Change account type
      from the window.
    • Click on the user account and select Change the Account type option.
    • Select Standard and click on Change account type
      button from the window.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Mar 30, 2019
  4. E-one Win User

Unable to change the user account to standard user from administrator on Windows 10.

Is there still reason to use standard user account in Windows OS?

Hi all!

Suppose I'm the only user of the computer. Suppose I have User Account Control activated. Is there or are there still reasons to create and use standard user account for everyday work? As far as I understand, with User Account Control active I have the permissions of a standard user even if I'm logged on as an administrator. If I use administrator account for everyday work does User Account Control give me EXACTLY the same level of protection from viruses and malware and from making accidental system-wide changes as standard user account with active UAC? I don't imply that UAC protects me from viruses and malware. I use proper antivirus software for that.

In other words, do I get the same level of protection when I use administrator account with UAC enabled and when I use standard account with UAC enabled? Is it true that UAC turns an administrator account into what is know as a protected administrator account, basically, an administrator account that runs with standard user account privileges? Or does standard user account with UAC enabled gives me yet higher level of protection over administrator account with UAC enabled?

E-one, Mar 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to change the user account to standard user from administrator on Windows 10. - Similar Threads - Unable change user

2. Is it possible to Change from Standard User back to Administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to Change from Standard User back to Administrator: I recently unwittingly changed my user status from administrator to standard user and can not now perform some of the administrator functions i.e DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth or use...
  3. Is it possible to Change from Standard User back to Administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is it possible to Change from Standard User back to Administrator: I recently unwittingly changed my user status from administrator to standard user and can not now perform some of the administrator functions i.e DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth or use...
  4. Is it possible to Change from Standard User back to Administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account: I am not able to convert a standard user account into an administrative account due to which I'm not able to make changes in apps etc. Please help....
  6. Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account: I am not able to convert a standard user account into an administrative account due to which I'm not able to make changes in apps etc. Please help....
  7. Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Changing Standard user account to Administrator account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing Standard user account to Administrator account: Split from this thread. how do I change administrator on this ProBook s series. administrator passed away gave this laptop to me but cannot change from owner guest to administrator? ***Original title: How do I change administrator on this laptop?***...
  9. Changing a user account from standard to administration

Changing a user account from standard to administration: Yesterday as I was going through my laptop I happened to change my user account from administrator to standard and now i cant reverse it back to admin as it does not allow me to make the change. Please i really need help as i cannot install anything on my laptop....
  10. administrator user changed to standard user

administrator user changed to standard user: I have changed my administrator user to standard user. Know i need to login with admin user. I am using windows 10. There was only administrator user which i have changed to standard user. How can i get back admin user. I also can't open cmd "run as administrator". Showing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to change user account to admin account

2. unable to change windows 10 user to administrator