Windows 10: Unable to change where new apps are saved - Windows wants to delete stuff off the drive...

Discus and support Unable to change where new apps are saved - Windows wants to delete stuff off the drive... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; First off, I would like to say I enjoy windows 10 quite a bit. Overall its a great system. Except when it comes to draconian file management that takes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by robbery525, May 1, 2020.

1. Unable to change where new apps are saved - Windows wants to delete stuff off the drive...

First off, I would like to say I enjoy windows 10 quite a bit. Overall its a great system. Except when it comes to draconian file management that takes away user control.

But **** whoever thought it would be a good idea to lock the user out of control on their own program files. It is needlessly infurating, it does not provide enough user feedback to allow the user to resolve the conflicts, and it appears to just want to take control of your system, taking permission away from the user.

I can understand that MS wants to protect the UWP apps installed into this folder, but this needs to be less infurating, with many many many threads on this topic available via a quick google search, with most threads resulting in "i gave up".

My Setup:

• C:/ - Windows install folder
    • X:/ - Drive where windows was previously installed on. So it has 'Program Files', 'Program Files x86' and 'WindowsApp' folders.
    • G:/ - This is where I want to save my new apps to, but this stupid setting will not allow it.
      • This drive has G:/Program Files and G:/Program Files x86, but it has never had a 'WindowsApp' folder.
      • Several programs are installed in both of the above mentioned folders.
        • I have uninstalled all the programs that the "Apps & Features" settings page calls out as installed on this drive. So windows is reporting no apps are installed here currently. Though other programs I have never run on this fresh install of windows are still on the Program Files folder
        • Looking at the "Storage Usage" page also shows 800GB free, with 0 bytes used on apps & features, 0 bytes system & reserved.

I was able to assign new apps to install to X. But this is a problem because I don't want to wipe this drive yet, and currently there is only around 5GB free.

Attempting to assign G for this setting results in windows **** that "This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be deleted. Do you want to continue?" with a simple Yes/No.

• First off, this should tell what is going to be deleted. This wording implies that it will just wipe everything it can off the drive without confirmation if you allow it to by selecting 'yes'.
    • Secondly, there should be a way to find out what is the conflict here so that the user can resolve the conflicts.

- Hitting 'No' the obvious better choice if you value your data at all results in error code 0x80004004, which appears to just be the notice that the setting adjustment didn't go through.

Attempting to rename the 'Program Files' and 'Program Files x86 folders on the problematic drive which appears to have worked for other people with this issue did not resolve the issue for me at all. Deleting the several apps that windows said were installed on that drive did nothing to resolve the issue.

This function is too poorly documented Actually it has 0 documentation that I can find for users to read. So how am I supposed to trust it to do what it is supposed to do?

Does anyone have a solution that isn't formatting the drive / possibly losing 1TB of files due to windows just wiping the folder out? If I do hit yes, will it warn me before deleting stuff, or will it just wipe everything out?

:)

robbery525, May 1, 2020

2. Unable to change drive where new apps will save to.

I recently reset my windows 10 pc, forgot to delete or uninstall old apps from my hdd, now when i try to change where new apps wil save i get the following message "Delete other apps?: This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other
    apps must first be deletted. Do you want to continue?" After select yes i get the error message: We couldn't save your default save location: The operation did not complete succesfully. Try again in a bit. The error code is 0x8007003". I can't delete the folder
    by myself. Any idea how could i fix this.

Thanks in advance.

PoloRodriguez, May 1, 2020
  3. Windows 10 app saving to drives

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple steps and check if this helps. Since move option is greyed out, I would suggest you to un-install and reinstall the game and check. Follow the below steps.

• Go to Settings and select System.

• Click on App & Features, click on game and uninstall the game.

• Now click on Storage and select a drive on
      New apps will save to.

• Try re-installing the game again and check.
    Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, May 1, 2020
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Unable to change where new apps are saved - Windows wants to delete stuff off the drive...

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, May 1, 2020
Thema:

Unable to change where new apps are saved - Windows wants to delete stuff off the drive...

1. Unable to change where new apps are saved - Windows wants to delete stuff off the drive... - Similar Threads - Unable change where

2. Want to reset "Change where new content is saved"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Want to reset "Change where new content is saved": I used "Change where new content is saved" setting. It does not work as i was thinking and now i need it reset as it was before. So used it and change location to E: and D: drive. Some files just get moved from C: drive and i dont want them there. I want to move to their...
  3. Want to reset "Change where new content is saved"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Want to reset "Change where new content is saved": I used "Change where new content is saved" setting. It does not work as i was thinking and now i need it reset as it was before. So used it and change location to E: and D: drive. Some files just get moved from C: drive and i dont want them there. I want to move to their...
  4. Want to reset "Change where new content is saved"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to change drive where new apps will save to 0x80070005

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change drive where new apps will save to 0x80070005: Hello, I recently reset my C drive and reinstalled windows Got a new drive. I would like to uninstall my old GamePass games and switch to that hard drive as the default install for new games. Changing the settings in Windows presents me with this error: [ATTACH] When I...
  6. Unable to switch where new apps will save to

Unable to switch where new apps will save to: Hello, I am trying to download a game that is larger than the available space in my Windows C: storage. In settings, I try to switch 'New apps will save to:' from Windows C: to Storage D:, but after clicking on apply, I get a popup window asking if I want to Delete other...
  7. Change where new apps will save to

Change where new apps will save to: I got xbox game pass and when trying to install it says I have to set up a new install location. When I try to do this it doesn't coming up with an error code which I have yet to find a solution to...
  8. Unable to change the location where new apps will be saved. Xbox (Beta) App.

Unable to change the location where new apps will be saved. Xbox (Beta) App.: Hi, I'm trying to change the location where the games are being installed on the Xbox (Beta) App. The app will take me to the settings screen and when I attempt to change it to my D: drive I receive the following error message. [ATTACH] I can't seem to find a way to fix...
  9. Unable to change drive where new apps will save to.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to change drive where new apps will save to.: I recently reset my windows 10 pc, forgot to delete or uninstall old apps from my hdd, now when i try to change where new apps wil save i get the following message "Delete other apps?: This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be...
  10. Unable to change where new content is saved.

Unable to change where new content is saved.: Just did a clean install of Windows 10 and now In Setting when I try to change where new content is saved I get the following error: "We couldn't set your default save location" "The operation did not complete successfully. Try again later". Error code 0x80070005. Any...