Windows 10: unable to choose a default app to open a file type

Discus and support unable to choose a default app to open a file type in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GeorgeBell18, Aug 12, 2019.

1. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N
    OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362

7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903

I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"

Now "open with" context menu is missing "more apps", so I cannot browse the file system to choose the application to open a particular file type.

Furthermore the "Choose default apps by file type" setting only allows me to choose the existing application or "to look for an app in the Microsoft store"

How do I restore the ability to map a file type to an application on my filesystem?

:)

GeorgeBell18, Aug 12, 2019

2. choose default apps by file type

When going to Settings / Apps / Default apps , I am unable to choose default apps by file type, ie the file type boxes ( .bmp .gif etc ) greyed out "Choose a default" missing. This means every time I click a bmp or gif file I have to select what app
    to open it with .

RonHazlehurst, Aug 12, 2019
  3. MSRadell Win User
    Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

I'm trying to stop PDF files from opening in IE11, I want them to open in Adobe reader. When I go through the settings menu and get to the screen "Choose Default Apps by File Type" I cannot scroll down that page it stays locked on the top section. A screenshot is attached. Any idea of how I can get down to the PDF file type to change the default?

unable to choose a default app to open a file type [​IMG]

MSRadell, Aug 12, 2019
  4. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

.iso extension missing from settings/choose default apps by file type

This ties partly into my other issue of not being able to mount ISO files in windows explorer. I am getting no luck on fixing that separate issue, so maybe if i tackle it at a different angle, the other problem could be solved as well. Please do not move this issue to Virtualization.

The Issue

Basically, in my "Choose default apps by file type" settings window, the .iso extension is missing. I am running Windows 10 Home Version 1809

In the past, it was there, and also in the past, I was able to mount .iso files by right clicking, and selecting "mount". The option to mount is still there;

But gives me this error;

(this is part of my secondary issue being taken care of in another thread (hopefully)) so please don't move this thread to virtualization.

What I want:

I want the .iso extension back in my list of extensions in my settings --> default apps--> choose default apps by file type window.

Things I have tried;

• 1) Going to Settings - Indexing Options
      2) Advanced button
      3) File Types tab
      4) Add New Extension to List box, type in extension, (without a period) in this case "iso"
      5) Click OK and Close
    • Right clicking any .iso file, and selecting "open with", then selecting "choose another app", and then selecting "Windows Explorer".
    • Right clicking any .iso file, selecting "Properties", then selecting the "Change" button under "opens with" and selecting "Windows Explorer".
    • Restoring the default Windows file extension through registry fix detailed here with OPTION TWO and selecting the .iso reg file, adding it to my registry, and restarting my pc.
    • I created a "fake" extension named .isotest. It successfully appeared in the settings menu(see picture above)
    • Ran "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" in elevated cmd prompt and then "sfc /scannow" in an elevated command prompt. No issues were found.

In the registry, it shows that iso files are opened with Windows.IsoFile. Looking under the reg key, I cannot tell if anything is incorrect. Below are the reg keys associated with Windows.IsoFile and the .iso key in Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\

I'm not sure what else to do aside from formatting my pc which I really don't want to do for this issue. Help is greatly appreciated. Please read the whole post before suggesting things please.

Thanks.

forkinator, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

unable to choose a default app to open a file type

1. unable to choose a default app to open a file type - Similar Threads - unable choose default

2. Can't find .jar files in "Choose default apps by file type"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find .jar files in "Choose default apps by file type": When I try to find the .jar extension so I can change its default app, it is literally not there. I've seen screenshots, and I do everything right, yet the .jar extension isn't even there for me....
  3. Unable to open with or set default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open with or set default app for file type: Windows 10 Pro 64-bitVersion: 20H2OS Build: 19042.1052Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0I want to double click on a *.jpg file from my phone and have it open in Chrome.1 - Right clicking results in no "open with" option:2 - Default app for "photo...
  4. Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default'

Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default': WIN10, Version 2004, Build 19041-264 I have accidentally changed a file default and I want to change it back to 'Choose a default'. I have already tried 'reset' defaults but it will not change the default. Can you please help. 157993
  5. Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default'

in Windows 10 Support
    Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default': WIN10, Version 2004, Build 19041-264 I have accidentally changed a file default and I want to change it back to 'Choose a default'. I have already tried 'reset' defaults but it will not change the default. Can you please help. 157993
  6. Unable to change default app by file type

Unable to change default app by file type: I use a genealogical program with file extension of GED, but MS refuses to let me use Roots Magic as the default app to open the GED files. I have done all methods shown here, and the Windows somehow associates GED files with Photoshop which won't open them as it is the...
  7. Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb)

Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb): I had recently reinstalled Microsoft Windows 10 to try and fix the file associations. For the most part it fixed my issues. However, there is still one file association I have noticed that when trying to choose a default app by file type for (.laccdb) does not provide me the...
  8. 'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...

in Windows 10 Customization
    'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...: I previously asked a similar question before realizing the scale of the problem. I am running Windows 10 Home on a Surface Go. That is, I have successfully disabled S mode. I cannot set a default app unless it is 'Microsoft recommended' for a file type or protocol. An...
  9. choose default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    choose default apps by file type: I want .tif and .tiff files to be opened by MODI. MODI is installed on my computer but does not show up as an option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/choose-default-apps-by-file-type/a23e84d5-6337-4040-84b4-2b7902e0f665
  10. Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

Unable to change Default Apps by File Type: I'm trying to stop PDF files from opening in IE11, I want them to open in Adobe reader. When I go through the settings menu and get to the screen "Choose Default Apps by File Type" I cannot scroll down that page it stays locked on the top section. A screenshot is attached....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .iso extension missing from settings/ choose default apps by file type