Windows 10: Unable to clear protection history

Discus and support Unable to clear protection history in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 Home build 1909 and I am unable to clear the Windows Security Protection History... I have tried... Open Event viewer and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jack Smook, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Unable to clear protection history

I am using Windows 10 Home build 1909 and I am unable to clear the Windows Security Protection History...

I have tried...

Open Event viewer and find Log "Operational" under Application and service logs / Microsoft / Windows / Windows defender
    Right click on it and select clear log.

and

Delete folder Service C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service .

After deleting the folder Service, off and turn on OFF>ON Real-Time protection and Cloud protection.

And neither suggestion works. Are there any other suggestions to clear the protection history

Microsoft needs to reinstall the clear button.

I have entries because I had Controlled folder access turned on by accident... I have it off now.

:)

Jack Smook, Apr 28, 2020
  2. Zehlewi Win User

Clearing Windows Defender history

Hey, what you need to do is so simple, just follow the steps below exactly in order:
    1. Turn OFF Real-time Protection
    2. Turn OFF Cloud-delivered Protection
    3. Go to this folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service
    4. Delete the contents in the folder
    5. Turn ON Real-time Protection
    6. Turn ON Cloud-delivered Protection
    That's it... Now check protection History, it's empty.
    Done!

Zehlewi, Apr 28, 2020
  3. Clearing Windows Defender history

It appears I might have discovered a little "chink in the armour" as this method doesn't seem to work IF you have any detections listed in the protection history from the controlled folder access feature... if enabled.

Greythorne II, Apr 28, 2020
  4. Unable to clear protection history

Clear Windows Security Center (Defender) Protection History

While Windows Defender can be configured via Powershell cmdlet "Set-MpPreference" thus changing Group Policy and Registry settings to purge after 1 day minimum, however, this fails to accomplish the objective which is to clear the protection history manually and/or instantly as this topic suggests.

I tried this with no success... even tried rebooting to make sure at no avail.

This is the procedure that does indeed work.
    I previously had tried deleting the folder before with no success but turning off, then on said protections is what apparently allows this to work. Thank you and the OP "LiNer2" from windows forum for this.

To anyone who wishes to try this and you don't happen to have any current protection history...
    you can utilize the "EICAR Anti-Malware Testfile" to check the solution.

Greythorne II, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

Unable to clear protection history

1. Unable to clear protection history - Similar Threads - Unable clear protection

2. Clear Microsoft Defender Protection History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clear Microsoft Defender Protection History: How can I clear Microsoft defender protection history?I'm running Windows 11 version 22H2 os-build 22623.1037 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-microsoft-defender-protection-history/ca2e4b89-5656-4576-9c2d-5636152c1a92
  3. Clear Microsoft Defender Protection History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clear Microsoft Defender Protection History: How can I clear Microsoft defender protection history?I'm running Windows 11 version 22H2 os-build 22623.1037 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-microsoft-defender-protection-history/ca2e4b89-5656-4576-9c2d-5636152c1a92
  4. Can't Clear Protection History In Windows Security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Clear Protection History In Windows Security: While Real-Time protection was off I have went to1, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service and deleted everything in that everything in the service folder2. Clear the Microsoft Defender Protection History Using the Event Viewer. Setting to to clear...
  5. Can't Clear Protection History In Windows Security

Can't Clear Protection History In Windows Security: While Real-Time protection was off I have went to1, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service and deleted everything in that everything in the service folder2. Clear the Microsoft Defender Protection History Using the Event Viewer. Setting to to clear...
  6. Can't Clear Protection History In Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. How to clear controlled Folder Access in Block History Protection History

How to clear controlled Folder Access in Block History Protection History: I am having trouble clearing my controlled folder access block history. I know of the method of deleting the Service folder by going into ProgramData/Mircosoft/WindowsDefener/Scans/History by deleting the files under CacheManager and turning real time protection on and off,...
  8. Unable to clear "protected memory access blocked" manually in protection history whereas...

Unable to clear "protected memory access blocked" manually in protection history whereas...: When I try to clear my protection history manually by deleting "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Services", my history of threat notifications are cleared but protected memory access blocked remains in the list.Win 10 Version 21H1Toshiba Satellite L630...
  9. Unable to clear Windows Defender Protection History

Unable to clear Windows Defender Protection History: Hello I wonder if anyone can help I'm using Windows 10 Home & also use Windows Defender for protection For some reason I am unable to clear the protection history , I have entries going back as far as 1/8/2020. I have tried numerous ways to clear it , deleting scan...
  10. Unable to clear protection history manually in windows defender security center in Windows...

Unable to clear protection history manually in windows defender security center in Windows...: Please any body help me with a proper solution.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-clear-protection-history-manually-in/44aa804a-4e1a-46e2-8082-f64ff897ebdd"