Windows 10: Unable to clear Windows Defender Protection History

Discus and support Unable to clear Windows Defender Protection History in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello I wonder if anyone can help I'm using Windows 10 Home & also use Windows Defender for protection For some reason I am unable to clear the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by burty_07, Oct 18, 2020.

1. burty_07 Win User

Unable to clear Windows Defender Protection History

Hello I wonder if anyone can help

I'm using Windows 10 Home & also use Windows Defender for protection

For some reason I am unable to clear the protection history , I have entries going back as far as 1/8/2020.

I have tried numerous ways to clear it , deleting scan history folder & turning off then on Real-time protection & Cloud-delivered protection,

Clearing Windows Defender logs in Event Viewer ,even changing the Local Group Policy Editor setting to delete scan item after 1 day ,

all with no success . I read in another post that adding other threats using Eicar might work , but I have also tried that & after deleting scan history folder

the Eicar Malware threats were removed but none of others in the list were.

Using Powershell I have set my preference to remove all threats & also change the scan purge items after delay to 1 day .

I have to admit that I am no that Tech savvy , but have run out of ideas & would appreciate any help given

thanks Chris

:)

burty_07, Oct 18, 2020

2. Unable to clear protection history

I am using Windows 10 Home build 1909 and I am unable to clear the Windows Security Protection History...

I have tried...

Open Event viewer and find Log "Operational" under Application and service logs / Microsoft / Windows / Windows defender

Right click on it and select clear log.

and

Delete folder Service C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service .

After deleting the folder Service, off and turn on (OFF>ON) Real-Time protection and Cloud protection.

And neither suggestion works. Are there any other suggestions to clear the protection history

Microsoft needs to reinstall the clear button.

I have entries because I had Controlled folder access turned on by accident... I have it off now.

Jack Smook, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Zehlewi Win User
    Clearing Windows Defender history

Hey, what you need to do is so simple, just follow the steps below exactly in order:
    1. Turn OFF Real-time Protection
    2. Turn OFF Cloud-delivered Protection
    3. Go to this folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service
    4. Delete the contents in the folder
    5. Turn ON Real-time Protection
    6. Turn ON Cloud-delivered Protection
    That's it... Now check protection History, it's empty.
    Done!

Zehlewi, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Unable to clear Windows Defender Protection History

Clear Windows Security Center (Defender) Protection History

While Windows Defender can be configured via Powershell cmdlet "Set-MpPreference" thus changing Group Policy and Registry settings to purge after 1 day minimum, however, this fails to accomplish the objective which is to clear the protection history manually and/or instantly as this topic suggests.

I tried this with no success... even tried rebooting to make sure at no avail.

This is the procedure that does indeed work.
    I previously had tried deleting the folder before with no success but turning off, then on said protections is what apparently allows this to work. Thank you and the OP "LiNer2" from windows forum for this.

To anyone who wishes to try this and you don't happen to have any current protection history...
    you can utilize the "EICAR Anti-Malware Testfile" to check the solution.

Greythorne II, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

Unable to clear Windows Defender Protection History

1. Unable to clear Windows Defender Protection History - Similar Threads - Unable clear Defender

2. threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history in windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history in windows defender: after scan through window defender i still getting virus?threats . and these threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/threatsvirus-are-not-getting-cleared-from/7b286a3a-ef60-4ff6-ab10-51f9df8d568e
  3. threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history in windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history in windows defender: after scan through window defender i still getting virus?threats . and these threats/virus are not getting cleared from protection history. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/threatsvirus-are-not-getting-cleared-from/7b286a3a-ef60-4ff6-ab10-51f9df8d568e
  4. Clear Microsoft Defender Protection History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clear Microsoft Defender Protection History: How can I clear Microsoft defender protection history?I'm running Windows 11 version 22H2 os-build 22623.1037 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-microsoft-defender-protection-history/ca2e4b89-5656-4576-9c2d-5636152c1a92
  5. Clear Microsoft Defender Protection History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clear Microsoft Defender Protection History: How can I clear Microsoft defender protection history?I'm running Windows 11 version 22H2 os-build 22623.1037 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-microsoft-defender-protection-history/ca2e4b89-5656-4576-9c2d-5636152c1a92
  6. Defender Protection history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Protection history: Hello!I deleted my protection history.I know this may sound stupidBut will defender still detect threats?I deleted the contents of service file and not the service file itselfI don't know much about tech.Thank you:...
  7. Unable to clear protection history

Unable to clear protection history: I am using Windows 10 Home build 1909 and I am unable to clear the Windows Security Protection History... I have tried... Open Event viewer and find Log "Operational" under Application and service logs / Microsoft / Windows / Windows defender Right click on it and select...
  8. Clear Windows Security Center (Defender) Protection History

Clear Windows Security Center (Defender) Protection History: I recall on older versions of Windows Defender (now Windows Security Center) that you could clear the threat history. I have found no such way in current versions of Windows Security Center. Is there a way to do this? I am on Windows 10 1903. 133451
  9. Unable to clear protection history manually in windows defender security center in Windows...

Unable to clear protection history manually in windows defender security center in Windows...: Please any body help me with a proper solution.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-clear-protection-history-manually-in/44aa804a-4e1a-46e2-8082-f64ff897ebdd"
  10. Can't clear Defender history

Can't clear Defender history: Whenever I try to clear the history, a UAC prompt pops up, I click "Yes", and nothing happens. Is there a way to manually reset Defender? [img] 84624

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to clear protection history in defender

2. clear win defender history

3. cant access C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service