Windows 10: Unable to click on UI elements (desktop icons, taskbar etc.) at random intervals

Discus and support Unable to click on UI elements (desktop icons, taskbar etc.) at random intervals in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For a few weeks now I have been getting an issue with my computer where I can not click on certain things like the taskbar or icons or the buttons on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JamesH999, Oct 10, 2019.

1. JamesH999 Win User

Unable to click on UI elements (desktop icons, taskbar etc.) at random intervals

For a few weeks now I have been getting an issue with my computer where I can not click on certain things like the taskbar or icons or the buttons on a window to close or minimize it. I have been searching for solutions but at this point I cant figure out the issue. The way that I can temporarily fix this is by ctrl alt delete and click anywhere. This fixes the issue for minutes to hours before I need to do it again, so not a permanent solution. In have tried the following:

antivirus scan

system file checker

dism

clean boot

checked all the disks

checked all the drivers

uninstalled the most recent programs installed

tried this command which apparently reinstalls windows apps or something (may be incorrect, I'm not an expert) "$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest"

So at this point I don't really know what to do next. I'm on a Windows 10 Home laptop, MSI manufacturer. The first image is before I click to fix the issue. Second image is after, where things can be clicked on. The cursor changes, I don't know if that is relevant. Any kind of info would be greatly appreciated because I don't want to resort to completely wiping everything. Thanks Unable to click on UI elements (desktop icons, taskbar etc.) at random intervals 62fbabdb-f987-4395-8373-995b54f23de2?upload=true.jpg Unable to click on UI elements (desktop icons, taskbar etc.) at random intervals 95f895ef-38e0-47a3-9ff7-a07b173c0136?upload=true.jpg

:)

JamesH999, Oct 10, 2019
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Oct 10, 2019
  3. MCK
    mck Win User
    Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

4. Unable to click on UI elements (desktop icons, taskbar etc.) at random intervals

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

Unable to click on UI elements (desktop icons, taskbar etc.) at random intervals

1. Unable to click on UI elements (desktop icons, taskbar etc.) at random intervals - Similar Threads - Unable click elements

2. Windows 11 Taskbar and other UI elements do not respond to mouse clicks.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Taskbar and other UI elements do not respond to mouse clicks.: I fresh installed Windows 11 about 48 hours ago. After updates and other software installations the taskbar became unclickable/usable. The steps laid out in How to Fix Windows 11 Taskbar Not Working? Taskbar Not Showing Issue - YouTube fix the taskbar twice. However after a...
  3. Windows 11 Taskbar and other UI elements do not respond to mouse clicks.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Taskbar and other UI elements do not respond to mouse clicks.: I fresh installed Windows 11 about 48 hours ago. After updates and other software installations the taskbar became unclickable/usable. The steps laid out in How to Fix Windows 11 Taskbar Not Working? Taskbar Not Showing Issue - YouTube fix the taskbar twice. However after a...
  4. Windows OS Randomly Can't Click Elements

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows OS Randomly Can't Click Elements: This is an issue that has been going on for several months and has only gotten worse as times gone on. For some reason, windows will not register my clicks to certain elements of the UI randomly. It most often shows up as being unable to interact with the taskbar, or the...
  5. Windows OS Randomly Can't Click Elements

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows OS Randomly Can't Click Elements: This is an issue that has been going on for several months and has only gotten worse as times gone on. For some reason, windows will not register my clicks to certain elements of the UI randomly. It most often shows up as being unable to interact with the taskbar, or the...
  6. Changing Windows UI Elements

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Windows UI Elements: I'm new to Windows 10 (Windows 10 Pro 20H2) and I've been trying to change some UI elements. 1. Registry. Changing the value of "MenuBar" in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors" has no effect. Why is that? Can I change the MenuBar background color somewhere else in the...
  7. Some UI elements not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some UI elements not working: Recently I haven't been able to use some UI elements, I first noticed it in firefox, when I couldn't use some of the navbar buttonsthe refresh and back and forward buttons, after that, I noticed that some of the buttons in file explores don't workthe forward buttons and some...
  8. Unable to click on taskbar/start menu icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to click on taskbar/start menu icons: This is an odd problem, but it seems there are moments when I cannot click on my taskbar/start menu. When hovering over the icons, they aren't highlighted. I'm unsure if this is a problem with my mouse (I use a Logitech G502), but it seems that I can temporarily click on...
  9. Missing UI elements/Glitch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing UI elements/Glitch: Some minor UI elements are missing on my Win10, like the gray background of the commonly used Apps you see when you click on the search button in the taskbar. Another missing UI element is the small rounded rectangle that indicates the percentage in the slider bars, this...
  10. Desktop PC reboots at random intervals

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop PC reboots at random intervals: I am not thinking this is win 10 pro but a hardware problem. Below is a pic of events: 97082