Windows 10: Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk

Discus and support Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I have purchased a Crucial MX500 to increase storage over the existing 250GB SSD I have tried to use Crucial's clone software (Acronis), and also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by SteveKent, Jun 30, 2021.

1. SteveKent Win User

Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk

Hi, I have purchased a Crucial MX500 to increase storage over the existing 250GB SSD I have tried to use Crucial's clone software (Acronis), and also Media Creation but the clone fails every time, (well it doesn't fail but the new SSD is not bootable). I have run chkdsk for the old SSD in it's numerous forms and it all passes, but after the clone Windows does not recognise the new SSD as a system disk. Crucial have run out of ideas and told me to do a fresh install on the new SSD, but with 80 programs on it that I will have to load up I'd rather not have to do that. Winver 19041. 1052

:)

SteveKent, Jun 30, 2021

2. Unable to clone new ssd

Hi Jim

Which software did you use to do the cloning?

If the drive drive you replacing is equal or larger in size, you could create a system image and restore it:

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

You can also look over the steps for cloning using Easeus ToDo:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clone-move-win...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.

Andre for Directly, Jun 30, 2021
  3. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Hi,

I'm not using the SATA ports. I'm using M.2 with the SSD, and the external SSD is connected to my PC using USB. My MB only has only one M.2 socket, so I can only plug in one SSD at a time. (I bought a wrong adapter that doesn't work with NVMe) So I cloned
    my old SSD to an external SSD (Samsung M3 Portable SSD), and then swapped the old one, cloned the external SSD to my new SSD.

I tried AOMEI too, but the free version does not come with disk clone functions. I would probably try Macrium Reflect as suggested above. Thank you!

allenyao09, Jun 30, 2021
  4. SteveKent Win User

Hi,

I have purchased a Crucial MX500 to increase storage over the existing 250GB SSD

I have tried to use Crucial's clone software (Acronis), and also Media Creation but the clone fails every time, (well it doesn't fail but the new SSD is not bootable).

I have run chkdsk for the old SSD in it's numerous forms and it all passes, but after the clone Windows does not recognise the new SSD as a system disk.

Crucial have run out of ideas and told me to do a fresh install on the new SSD, but with 80 programs on it that I will have to load up I'd rather not have to do that.

Winver 19041. 1052

SteveKent, Jun 30, 2021
Thema:

1. Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk - Similar Threads - Unable clone SSD

2. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning an OS to a new SSD: Hi there! I bought a tower from a friends company but had to buy a new SSD that did have an OS installed onto it. I was wondering how I can go about cloning my current OS from my laptop onto the new SSD so I can use the tower. I have found numerous videos showing how to clone...
  3. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning an OS to a new SSD: Hi there! I bought a tower from a friends company but had to buy a new SSD that did have an OS installed onto it. I was wondering how I can go about cloning my current OS from my laptop onto the new SSD so I can use the tower. I have found numerous videos showing how to clone...
  4. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk: Hi, I have purchased a Crucial MX500 to increase storage over the existing 250GB SSD I have tried to use Crucial's clone software (Acronis), and also Media Creation but the clone fails every time, (well it doesn't fail but the new SSD is not bootable). I have run chkdsk for...
  6. New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk)

in Windows 10 Support
    New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk): Fully operational perfectly running OS and Programs on old SSD. Macrium showed successful cloning (verified) to new SSD. Removed old and installed new. Non-system disk error. Used W10 ISO CD to get to repair mode. Repair failed. Went to CMD prompt (still using ISO disc) and...
  7. Backwards cloning of system disk?

Backwards cloning of system disk?: Hello All, I installed an SSD on my wife's laptop and did a clean install of Windows 10 ver. 1809 on the SSD. I see now that free software exists to clone an HDD to an SSD (MiniTool Partition Wizard Free). HP has made it rough to get to the hard drive and I do not fancy...
  8. Unable to clone new ssd

Unable to clone new ssd: Had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop. Took the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft. Somehow part of Windows 10 got installed on my F: drive which is a secondary HDD on my computer. I've just installed a new SSD drive and wanted to clone my current C: drive to...
  9. System Disk Image/Clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Disk Image/Clone: There's been some discussion on this in another thread & having previously not been too successful in the past, I'd like to seek some advice. When a disk is cloned it makes an identical copy to another HD; the idea being that if the one in use fails, then the cloned HD can...
  10. Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...

Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...: I need to create a new boot disk for a laptop I was using. I have the Windows 10 Home system disk that WAS in that laptop. I want to take the O/S OFF that disk and put it on a DIFFERENT disk.... I plugged both disks into a different PC, fired up Easus Todo Backup and did a...