Windows 10: Unable to clone new ssd

Discus and support Unable to clone new ssd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop. Took the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft. Somehow part of Windows 10 got installed on my F:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jim869, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Jim869 Win User

Unable to clone new ssd

Had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop. Took the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft. Somehow part of Windows 10 got installed on my F: drive which is a secondary HDD on my computer. I've just installed a new SSD drive and wanted to clone my current C: drive to the new SSD. SSD won't boot and I assume not all of the Windows files are there. How can I migrate them back to the C: drive.

:)

Jim869, Feb 19, 2019
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Feb 19, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Feb 19, 2019
  4. Garrisonq Win User

Unable to clone new ssd

Cloning HDD to SSD KEEPS FAILING

I have a Samsung SSD, so I am using the Samsung data migration application.

Garrisonq, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

Unable to clone new ssd

1. Unable to clone new ssd - Similar Threads - Unable clone ssd

2. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning an OS to a new SSD: Hi there! I bought a tower from a friends company but had to buy a new SSD that did have an OS installed onto it. I was wondering how I can go about cloning my current OS from my laptop onto the new SSD so I can use the tower. I have found numerous videos showing how to clone...
  3. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning an OS to a new SSD: Hi there! I bought a tower from a friends company but had to buy a new SSD that did have an OS installed onto it. I was wondering how I can go about cloning my current OS from my laptop onto the new SSD so I can use the tower. I have found numerous videos showing how to clone...
  4. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk: Hi, I have purchased a Crucial MX500 to increase storage over the existing 250GB SSD I have tried to use Crucial's clone software (Acronis), and also Media Creation but the clone fails every time, (well it doesn't fail but the new SSD is not bootable). I have run chkdsk for...
  6. Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk: Hi, I have purchased a Crucial MX500 to increase storage over the existing 250GB SSD I have tried to use Crucial's clone software (Acronis), and also Media Creation but the clone fails every time, (well it doesn't fail but the new SSD is not bootable). I have run chkdsk for...
  7. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD: Hi, My old SSD (with windows 10 installed) is not big enough, so I bought a new one, Samsung 970 EVO with NVMe. After cloning my old SSD to the new one using Clonezilla and replacing the SSD, I was not able to boot to Windows. I selected the Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS...
  8. Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD: If I clone my old upgraded windows 10 SSD to a new SSD and do a clean install on the new SSD. Would the new cloned SSD be activated? 9609
  9. SSD Clone to SSD

SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  10. Cloning to SSD

Cloning to SSD: First question here on 10 forum but used 7 forum lots. Anyway I am trying to clone the HDD? reduced partion to 450GB so as to be less than theSSD on my laptop. Trying to clone to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB. I have used the Samsung migration software and a version of EaseUS both...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to clone to samsung ssd