Windows 10: Unable to close the lid on my laptop when using docking station without it going to sleep...

Discus and support Unable to close the lid on my laptop when using docking station without it going to sleep... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; What setting do I need to adjust to allow me to close the laptop?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rscercy, May 27, 2019.

1. Rscercy Win User

Unable to close the lid on my laptop when using docking station without it going to sleep...

What setting do I need to adjust to allow me to close the laptop?

:)

Rscercy, May 27, 2019

2. Don't go to sleep when close the lid and external monitor is used

Hello Jennifer,

thanks for your answer, but it seems like you didn't understand my question.

I made clear that I know that there are settings for what should happen when I close the lid for the situation "Battery" and "Plugged In".

I want to achieve these two behaviors at once:

1. When the laptop is not attached to an external display, I want it to go to sleep when I close the lid, battery powered and plugged in.

2. When the laptop is attached to an external display, I want it to do nothing (i.e. not go to sleep) when I close the lid, battery powered and plugged in.

My Windows version is Windows 10 Home 1703 Build 15063.540.

As I said, I have an Dell XPS 13 Laptop. I use the DA200 docking station, which uses a USB-C type connector.

Is it the duty of the dock or Dell software to provide the descriped behaviour?

In my opinion, the desired behaviour is the most normal behaviour, which laptops have when used with a docking station.

JanosItsMe, May 27, 2019
  3. Can't close laptop without monitor sleeping.

When I close lid to my laptop in the docking station, my external monitor goes to sleep.

CarolLembke, May 27, 2019
  4. Unable to close the lid on my laptop when using docking station without it going to sleep...

Laptop goes to sleep after undocking it from the station

Power troubleshooter came up with nothing.

Here is what I mean by machine does not come back up. Step by step process of what happens:

• Computer is on an plugged into docking station.
    • I press the eject button on the docking station and the laptop is released. (Note I have also pressed the power button on the docking station first which makes the screen go black, but that does not change the rest of the flow)
    • Take laptop out and leave out overnight.
    • Come back in the morning plug laptop back into docking station
    • Power light on laptop is slowly blinking red
    • Move mouse and type on keyboard - nothing happens
    • Press power button on docking station - nothing happens
    • Open laptop lid (while still in docking station) - nothing happens
    • Press power button on laptop - nothing happens
    • Press every key on laptop keyboard (including function keys) - nothing happens
    • Light is still blinking slowly on laptop all monitors are black
    • Press power button on docking station (or laptop) and hold down for 10 seconds - power light stops blinking
    • Press power button again - laptop boots. When I log-in all applications that were open are now closed and I get warning about unsaved data when I open applications.

Brian C Manahan, May 27, 2019
Thema:

Unable to close the lid on my laptop when using docking station without it going to sleep...

1. Unable to close the lid on my laptop when using docking station without it going to sleep... - Similar Threads - Unable close lid

2. Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid: Hello, my notebook is going to sleep, after closing the lid, even that settings are set right - to not performe any action.After that, i can wake up notebook, but the system is very slow, impossible to play games etc. I have to restart notebook with lid closed, and then...
  3. Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid: Hello, my notebook is going to sleep, after closing the lid, even that settings are set right - to not performe any action.After that, i can wake up notebook, but the system is very slow, impossible to play games etc. I have to restart notebook with lid closed, and then...
  4. Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop Not Going To Sleep After Closing Lid.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Not Going To Sleep After Closing Lid.: My Windows 10 Laptop does not turn off and is still fully functional, everything still working and going after I close the laptop lid. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-not-going-to-sleep-after-closing-lid/57bbc0eb-9103-4c5e-953d-48f2393646c7
  6. computer not going to sleep on lid closing

computer not going to sleep on lid closing: Since update Feb 09/21 KB4601319, OS build 19041.804 and 19042.804, computer no longer enters sleep mode which is configured to happen when the lid closes. Gary...
  7. Laptop won't go to sleep after closing the lid

Laptop won't go to sleep after closing the lid: I've recently got the motherboard of my laptop changed, and after that my laptop won't go to sleep after I close the lid. I've checked "choose what closing the lid does" option and everything is fine there. Maybe the guy who repaired the laptop messed up something in BIOS...
  8. Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.: [ATTACH] Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here. My school issued laptop will not go to sleep when i close the "lid". It will only sleep if I click the start button and select sleep, which is fine, however; sometimes I just close it up out of habit, and when I come back...
  9. Laptop Going to Sleep After 2 Minutes When Lid is Closed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop Going to Sleep After 2 Minutes When Lid is Closed: I have an external display hooked up to my work laptop, and after 2 minutes of inactivity, the laptop goes to sleep whether on battery or plugged in. I've checked the battery and power settings, and they are all set to 30m to turn off display and 1 hour to sleep for battery...
  10. My laptop continues to sleep when lid is closed.

My laptop continues to sleep when lid is closed.: I changed the options to 'Do Nothing' when I close the lid, yet it still sleeps when I do it. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-continues-to-sleep-when-lid-is-closed/c52cc16f-5f88-4d6d-b3d9-5b0e6014e9a4