Windows 10: unable to connect remotely to desktop at work from personal machine

Discus and support unable to connect remotely to desktop at work from personal machine in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A user is unable to connect remotely to her desktop at work from a personal machine both Windows 10 error your computer cannot connect to the remote... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mario101, May 23, 2020.

1. Mario101 Win User

unable to connect remotely to desktop at work from personal machine

A user is unable to connect remotely to her desktop at work from a personal machine both Windows 10
    error your computer cannot connect to the remote desktop gateway server
    RD Gateway Server credentials popup appears, with logon attempt failed.

The user account was locking out on the local machine.

I connected to the users machine at work:
    Flushed the dns resolver cache
    Cleared Temporary Files.
    Deleted Cookies / Temp Files / History / Saved passwords / Forms from all the browsers.
    Deleted all Prefetch files.
    Deleted unwanted tasks.
    Removed stored passwords from Control Panel.
    Removed unwanted applications from Start-up skype

The Account no longer locks out but rdp still requests RDGW server credentials.
    I re-created the RDP session for the user but the issue still ongoing when attempting to remote, error your computer can't connect to the remote computer because the remote desktop gateway server is temporarily unavailable.
    The user has to try multiple times before the connection is established. I remotely logged on to the users machine at work from my home office but did not have the same issue, rdp connected fine every time. Of course remote connections are allowed on the remote machine else I would not be able to connect. Not sure of the relevance but the user is running AVG AV. Our server team have identified an issue whereby users can connect to their machine remotely only after 3 or 4 connection attempts. This user seems to have a bigger problem connecting. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Mario101, May 23, 2020
  2. RFT OB1 Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problem with Virtual Machine

We made the big mistake of configuring a WINDOWS-10 VM to allow for Remote Desktop Connections. We are unable to disassociate the VM from RDM. We can no longer access the VM!!! The following is the pertinenet
    information:

• Server is running Windows-10 Professional 64 with Hyper-V installed.
    • VM is Windows-10 Professional 64.
    • In VM allowed Remote Desktop Connections.
    • From server successfully connected to VM via RDM.
    • Closed RDM connection. Unable to access VM.
    • Turned off VM from Hyper-V Manager.
    • Attempted to restart VM, unable to connect via Hyper-V from message box the following is displayed:

Video Remoting was disconnected. The virtual maching is currently using the Remote X 3D video adapter. A user is currently connected via Remote Desktop Connect to the virtual machine by using Remote Desktop Connection.
    • Connected via Remote Desktop Connection. Attempted to turn off allowing Remote Desktop Connection. VM hung.
    • VM Wouldn't turn off via Hyper-V manager.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Unable to connect via console or RDM.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Deleted VM via Hyper-V Manager.
    • Restored VM system disk from backup prior to RDM usage.
    • Created new VM. the messages in itm 7 above are displayed.
    What can be done to recover? Why does Hyper-V retain a broken connection?

RFT OB1, May 23, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

4. unable to connect remotely to desktop at work from personal machine

Remote Desktop not working for my Windows/10 machine

I restored a computer to original Windows/10, set it to allow remote access, and still can't access it using Remote Desktop from another machine.

They are both network connected to the same wireless router.

I'm logged into the same Microsoft account on both.

I'm trying to access it using either computername or IP address - neither works.

I CAN successfully run TRACERT using either computername or IP address and both work.

Windows Firewall does not list an application named "Remote Desktop" (still doesn't connect even if I turn the firewall off).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

DaveFromNH, May 23, 2020
Thema:

unable to connect remotely to desktop at work from personal machine

1. unable to connect remotely to desktop at work from personal machine - Similar Threads - unable connect remotely

2. Trouble with Remote Desktop on Windows 11 - Unable to connect to remote machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with Remote Desktop on Windows 11 - Unable to connect to remote machine.: I am attempting to remote into a desktop machine from a laptop.Both are running Windows 11 ProBoth use the same Microsoft accountBoth are on the same home networkWindows Firewall is set to allow Remote Desktop connectionsI have tried using the computer name as the connection...
  3. Trouble with Remote Desktop on Windows 11 - Unable to connect to remote machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble with Remote Desktop on Windows 11 - Unable to connect to remote machine.: I am attempting to remote into a desktop machine from a laptop.Both are running Windows 11 ProBoth use the same Microsoft accountBoth are on the same home networkWindows Firewall is set to allow Remote Desktop connectionsI have tried using the computer name as the connection...
  4. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  5. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  6. Unable to connect remote desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect remote desktop: Unable to connect remote desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-remote-desktop/4ec89276-b78e-4f88-9193-51c33f2d1a4e
  7. Unable to connect remote desktop

Unable to connect remote desktop: Unable to connect remote desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-remote-desktop/4ec89276-b78e-4f88-9193-51c33f2d1a4e
  8. Unable to connect using Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect using Remote Desktop: We have one user in the office whose computer cannot be connected to via Remote Desktop Connection. All other users' workstations can be connected to without problem. RDC worked fine for this user until about 2 weeks ago, then he simply couldn't connect. Attempts to do so...
  9. Remote Desktop connects to a remote machine on one network but not others.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remote Desktop connects to a remote machine on one network but not others.: Hello, I am using mobile network hotspot to connect from my HomePC to a remote machine through VPN. I do not face any issues when I try to connect through Vodafone network where the speed is around just 8-9 Mbps but I could not connect through other networks like Three/EE...
  10. Unable to use clipboard function from Remote Desktop to Local Machine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to use clipboard function from Remote Desktop to Local Machine: Hi Support, I have been able to use the clipboard (copy and paste) previously from the Remote Desktop to my local machine without issue. However, suddenly the function is not working for the past few days. It grayed out when I tried to paste the item from Remote to local...