Windows 10: Unable to Connect to any Websites using HTTP or HTTPS

Discus and support Unable to Connect to any Websites using HTTP or HTTPS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This issue arises randomly and only once has it ever recovered. Event viewer also does not show anything either. Restarting fixes this issue, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jason761, Feb 1, 2016.

1. jason761 Win User

Unable to Connect to any Websites using HTTP or HTTPS

This issue arises randomly and only once has it ever recovered. Event viewer also does not show anything either. Restarting fixes this issue, but I would rather find out what caused this issue in the first place.

I cannot connect to any sites using HTTP or HTTPS but I can connect to my remote FTP server and PING works for any website. I have used 'netsh' in an attempt to fix my issues but it requires a restart where it would fix it temporarily.

I also cannot access any local IPs or my localhost web server. I can however access some of Google's websites on Google Chrome Dev but not on any other browser. For the other sites I get a TIMED_OUT error. I have reinstalled my network drivers and reset my network settings (including DNS) but nothing else works.

I even turned off Bitdefender Firewall and Antivirus and Malwarebytes and issued a system scan but does not impact anything.

:)

jason761, Feb 1, 2016
  2. joe_hcl Win User

http websites won't load

Hi Charlie,

Could you provide some screenshot or some useful information ? If not we can't help you to solve this issue.

joe_hcl, Feb 1, 2016
  3. ThoneS Win User
    HTTPS Website Certificate Error

Thank you I will try that. I don't have a windows phone now. I'll let you know once I do try it. However, does that apply to the mobile phones IE or is this setting only available for IE on PCs?

Thanks!

ThoneS, Feb 1, 2016
  4. Hydranix Win User

Check your proxy settings. Disable "automatic" proxy settings if you don't use one.

Hydranix, Feb 1, 2016
  5. jason761 Win User
    My proxy settings are disabled but I still have the issue

jason761, Feb 9, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    You could try running the Internet Connections troubleshooter (Control Panel > Troubleshooting)

lx07, Feb 9, 2016
  7. jason761 Win User
    I have tried that but Windows detected no problems.

jason761, Feb 9, 2016
  8. sparkz Win User

Sounds as if you are dealing with a problem connecting to the internet(?) and also connecting to your LAN(?). As for your LAN, are they all the same type OS's or a mixture. Are you using DHCP or static addresses, subnet masks. Are they all in the same ip range (and unique). Are they all pointing to the same router? Do you have the 'hosts' files set up correctly on all machines?
    When you say you can't connect to
    , is the web server running on the computer you are trying to connect to the local host, or are you trying to connect from a different computer to the computer running the server? If the server is on the same computer, chances are the web server is not set up correctly.

sparkz, Feb 11, 2016
  9. Hydranix Win User
    Today I just dealt with a similar problem user was facing. I'll explain to problem, the cause, and the fix, in hopes that it may be the same or similar enough to help.

Problem: User cannot connect to internet, but certain network services still functioned correctly. (ping & telnet)

Cause: User let a friend believed to be computer saavy install Wireless NIC drivers for them. The drivers were not correct for the chipset, were outdated, and were allowed during installation to install inferior bloatware replacments for Windows networking components. (wireless network management).

This driver package was also several years out of date and several major version behind the current drivers. (though that doesn't matter all the much)

Fix: It turns out that the driver package installed and enabled an additional component into every network interface. Whatever this component was (i forgot the name, had "filter" in it), it effectively rendered all networking non-functional except for a ping and telnet (only ones i tested before discovering the problem)

Hydranix, Feb 11, 2016
  10. jason761 Win User
    I am pretty sure I have set up everything correctly as I can access the internet, it's only just recently at random occurrences that I cannot access websites using HTTP or HTTPS protocols (FTP and SSH to works completely fine). Restarting fixes it, but I'd rather find out why this happens instead of reinstalling Windows.

I can connect to the web server completely fine from other devices, but cannot access it from my own computer via localhost or my internal IP address.

jason761, Feb 12, 2016
  11. jason761 Win User
    As far as I know, I do not think I installed any bloatware applications but I have reinstalled my network drivers via my motherboard manufacturer's website.

jason761, Feb 12, 2016
  12. sparkz Win User
    Just a thought, you say you are using Bitdefender firewall and by rights, when you installed it, it should have disabled Windows Firewall. Just to be sure though, you may want to go to "services" and verify that it is indeed disabled.

sparkz, Feb 12, 2016
  13. jason761 Win User

Windows Firewall was running in the background. I just disabled it, not sure if it affects it though.

jason761, Feb 13, 2016
  14. luarpc Win User
    Which browser are you using?

I had the same problem too using Firefox x64, with the Bitdefender Total Security 2016

What i did to test if was a bitdefender problem was:
    This warning is presented by a web browser when accessing a site that has a security certificate installed (for SSL/TLS data encryption) which cannot be verified or installed by the web browser.
    To solve this issue, we recommend you to temporarily turn off “Scan SSL” feature in Bitdefender as follows:

• bring up the main Bitdefender interface
    • click on Modules
    • From Settings Overview choose Protection
    • In the Protection tab choose Web Protection use the switch to temporarily turn off Scan SSL feature
    Now close the Bitdefender window and try to access the webpage one more time.

Turn on again SCAN SSL feature on Bitdefender.

In my case i had to import certificate to firefox from mitm_cache bitdefender folder.

See this link:

[solved in 18.23.0.1604] Ssl Security Issue With Bd Certificate Injection - Bitdefender Forum

Hope it helped

luarpc, Feb 13, 2016
  15. jason761 Win User
    I use Chrome and Bitdefender Total Security 2016 v20.0.24.1290. I attempted your method and used Firefox to import the certificates but couldn't access anything on Firefox. I used chrome again and I can access before but not in incognito mode. Also, for some reason Google's certificates are not replaced with bitdefenders certificate when I was looking through them before.

jason761, Feb 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Unable to Connect to any Websites using HTTP or HTTPS - Similar Threads - Unable Connect Websites

2. Unable to connect to any website using WPA2 on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to any website using WPA2 on windows 10: So, I am unable to connect to my wifi through my broadband router. I tried many things , including router hard reset multiple times. I am able to connect using my mobile hotspotwhich uses WPA3 but not through my broadband router through wifi or LAN. I am using WPA2AES...
  3. Unable to connect to any website using WPA2 on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to any website using WPA2 on windows 10: So, I am unable to connect to my wifi through my broadband router. I tried many things , including router hard reset multiple times. I am able to connect using my mobile hotspotwhich uses WPA3 but not through my broadband router through wifi or LAN. I am using WPA2AES...
  4. Unable to connect to any website using WPA2 on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Edge Canary now supports Automatic HTTPS, which switches connections to websites from HTTP...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge Canary now supports Automatic HTTPS, which switches connections to websites from HTTP...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Leopeva64-2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/n49d5p/edge_canary_now_supports_automatic_https_which/
  6. Unable to connect to a website

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to connect to a website: Hello, I’m unable to connect to this particular [site](netcarshow.com) from Win10 (tried chrome, firefox, edge), it keeps saying ‘This site can’t be reached’. But I have no trouble connecting from my iPhone. Any idea why and how to fix it? submitted by /u/HistoricalTouch0...
  7. Unable to connect to microsoft connection, or any antivirus website

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to connect to microsoft connection, or any antivirus website: In the past month or so I have not been able to connect to any microsoft program such as xbox app, Skype or the windows store. And if I try to connect to any antivirus website, same thing. I've looked through my programs to find which one could be causing it but I honestly...
  8. HTTP/HTTPS Secure connection: fatal error (40) from server.

in Browsers and Email
    HTTP/HTTPS Secure connection: fatal error (40) from server.: HTTP / HTTPS / Certificate error? Secure connection: fatal error (40) from server. "Unable to complete secure transaction You tried to access the address Application Development from Salesforce Lightning Platform - Salesforce.com, which is currently unavailable. Please make...
  9. Cannot connect with non-https websites with most browsers.

Cannot connect with non-https websites with most browsers.: Hi, I've got a quite fresh win10 installation. With Edge, Chrome or Firefox I cannot connect to any website which are not https. explorer does work though. I suspect it changed some settings in the setup. But Edge dos not work properly....
  10. Ping OK but HTTP/HTTPS (mostly) failing

Ping OK but HTTP/HTTPS (mostly) failing: Hi, I've got a Win 10 64 bit desktop PC. It's my workhorse and has been working fine. Recent changes: we moved our phone line and I started getting signal drop-out. My old NIC had no new drivers so we upgraded both the router and the wifi card moving from 802.2g to ac...