Windows 10: Unable to connect to computer through remote desktop.

Discus and support Unable to connect to computer through remote desktop. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to set up Remote Desktop and have updated all of the settings accordingly on the laptop I am trying to remote to. I am able to remote from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PattyRistau, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Unable to connect to computer through remote desktop.

I am trying to set up Remote Desktop and have updated all of the settings accordingly on the laptop I am trying to remote to. I am able to remote from my computer when I am sitting right next to the laptop, but when I am at home and try to remote to it, I get an error saying that it failed. It refers to a network. This laptop is not part of a network nor is it tied to a server. The laptop is on....and does not go to sleep as I updated the setting so it would not go to sleep.

I have tried to set up the remote desktop on my computer using the computer name (and this worked when I tested it and was sitting right next to it, but didn't work when I tried again from home) and then I tried setting up with the IP address (and this worked again when I was right next to it, but did not when I tried to remote in once home).

Using the IP address is when I get the error about it server is not enabled or remote computer is not available on the network.

Using the computer name, I get an error that it can't find the computer.

What do I do to fix this? I am leaving in two days and need to be able to remote to the office computer which, as I mentioned, is not connected to a server or network but a stand alone laptop that others use as well.

I do have Microsoft 10 Pro on both devices.

Thank you!

*** modified title from : Remote Desktop***

:)

PattyRistau, Jan 26, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

3. Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer

We suggest that you disable any security program on your computer and check if it resolves the issue.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as
    soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Then follow the steps below to ensure remote desktop is enabled:

• Click Start.
    • Click on File Explorer.
    • Right-click This PC.
    • Select Properties.
    • Click Remote settings in the upper left hand corner.
    • Ensure the option Allow remote connection to this computer and
      Allow Remote Assistance connection to this computer is selected.
    • Click Apply and OK.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Jan 26, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Unable to connect to computer through remote desktop.

remote desktop connection

• What is the operating system of that remote computer? Exact version and edition please, for instance Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro.
    • Is the remote computer on the same network than the client, the computer you are connecting from? For instance, are both computers on your home network?
    • Are the incoming remote connections enabled on the remote computer?

Thema:

Unable to connect to computer through remote desktop.

1. Unable to connect to computer through remote desktop. - Similar Threads - Unable connect computer

2. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  3. Connecting to my desktop through Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting to my desktop through Remote Desktop: I have set up my desktop to enable remote desktop connection, and I am able to access this desktop from my laptop when I am on the same network. However, when I try to access it from a different network like when I take my laptop to my mom's house I am no longer able to...
  4. Connecting to my desktop through Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting to my desktop through Remote Desktop: I have set up my desktop to enable remote desktop connection, and I am able to access this desktop from my laptop when I am on the same network. However, when I try to access it from a different network like when I take my laptop to my mom's house I am no longer able to...
  5. Connecting to my desktop through Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Unable to connect remote desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect remote desktop: Unable to connect remote desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-remote-desktop/4ec89276-b78e-4f88-9193-51c33f2d1a4e
  7. Unable to connect remote desktop

Unable to connect remote desktop: Unable to connect remote desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-remote-desktop/4ec89276-b78e-4f88-9193-51c33f2d1a4e
  8. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  9. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  10. Unable to connect using Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect using Remote Desktop: We have one user in the office whose computer cannot be connected to via Remote Desktop Connection. All other users' workstations can be connected to without problem. RDC worked fine for this user until about 2 weeks ago, then he simply couldn't connect. Attempts to do so...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to remote to computer