Windows 10: Unable to connect to external drive with new PC

Discus and support Unable to connect to external drive with new PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Connected external hitachi drive to new windows 10 PC, Disk Management indicates Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized. External hard drive functions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by terry1957NE, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Unable to connect to external drive with new PC

Connected external hitachi drive to new windows 10 PC, Disk Management indicates Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized. External hard drive functions correctly on my old windows 10 PC. Able to use thumb drive on new PC. tried to initial drive, received following error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Any suggestions on get external drive to work with my new laptop?

:)

terry1957NE, Apr 22, 2021

2. Unable to connect external drive.

Hi there,

I'm unable to connect my Seagate external hard drive after I upgraded my system to Windows 10. It didn't have any issues with connecting on previous OS. So to check if the problem is with the hard disk, I tried connecting a pen drive to my system and yes
    it did. There are no problems in the hard drive as I also checked on my laptop.

I went through all other threads related to the same issue and found out that many people are facing the issue.

I followed those steps which were suggested but still the problem persists. Kindly help me with this.

Regards,

Prachi Lokam

PrachiLokam, Apr 22, 2021
  3. Mussels Win User
    HELP!!! External Drive issues!!

you're in luck, the guy with way too much external storage is here to the rescue!

step 1: try with a different USB cable

step 2: take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it internally to your PC

quite likely the cable or enclosure has died. if you're re-initialising the disk you might actually be erasing it... so dont do that.

Mussels, Apr 22, 2021
  4. Unable to connect to external drive with new PC

Need help with connecting external pc to used for raid storage

Basically I want to set up raid in a separate pc to be used only for the hard drives.

But I don't know how I would best connect this raid setup into my computer.
    • Do I use a NIC card to gigabit over multiple channels?
    • Or perhaps a really long sata III cable?
    • I don't want to connect it over the network. I just want to directly connect it.
    Goals:
    • Access data quick
    • Keep hard drives external to PC
    • Ease of use
    • Keep costs down (hence DIY PC instead of prebuilt NAS)
    • Expandability (hence DIY PC instead of prebuilt NAS)
    How do I do this?

See this illustration.

Unable to connect to external drive with new PC 7AKyZaD.png

vawrvawerawe, Apr 22, 2021
Thema:

Unable to connect to external drive with new PC

1. Unable to connect to external drive with new PC - Similar Threads - Unable connect external

2. Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...: I recently replaced the enclosure on an external hard drive, device connected and drivers were installed. But I cannot find the drive under "This PC". Attempted to run device troubleshooter but the troubleshooter has been retired. Included is a screen shot of the drive listed...
  3. Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...: I recently replaced the enclosure on an external hard drive, device connected and drivers were installed. But I cannot find the drive under "This PC". Attempted to run device troubleshooter but the troubleshooter has been retired. Included is a screen shot of the drive listed...
  4. Unable to copy to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy to an external drive: I have an external drive that I have used many times for storage; i.e., moving files from my desktop to the external drive. Now when I try to move files there, I get a message saying "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain...
  5. Unable to copy to an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to copy to an external drive: I have an external drive that I have used many times for storage; i.e., moving files from my desktop to the external drive. Now when I try to move files there, I get a message saying "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain...
  6. Unable to copy to an external drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Unable to connect w/Seagate external drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to connect w/Seagate external drives: I just got new desktop with Win 10/home (profile specs are up-to-date). I have used two Seagate external drives for several years. I had a store technician copy data from old computer to new computer. Now I was trying to move some of my data to my Seagate Go-Flex external...
  8. Unable to connect w/Seagate external drives

Unable to connect w/Seagate external drives: I just got new desktop with Win 10/home (profile specs are up-to-date). I have used two Seagate external drives for several years. I had a store technician copy data from old computer to new computer. Now I was trying to move some of my data to my Seagate Go-Flex external...
  9. Unable to connect External drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to connect External drive: I have an external drive (1 Tb) which will not show up when connected. In Disk Management it shows up but displays nothing in the file system (Should show NTFS I believe). Its status is Healthy(Primary Partition). Capacity is 931.51 GB. Free Space is 931.51 Gb. %Free shows as...
  10. New External Drive not visible in "This PC"

New External Drive not visible in "This PC": My new external Toshiba drive (Disk 1) does not show up under "This PC." The drive is connected with a USB3.0 cable to a USB 3.1 port on the pc. I can see it in the Taskbar via the icon that I turned on (Safely Remove HArdware). I can see the drive also in the Device Manager....