Windows 10: Unable to connect to mapped drives

Discus and support Unable to connect to mapped drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Well, not exactly. I have NAS drives and mapped them just like I did on my Windows 7 laptop. It all works fine and the NAS drives show up just fine in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Scottyboy99, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Unable to connect to mapped drives

Well, not exactly. I have NAS drives and mapped them just like I did on my Windows 7 laptop. It all works fine and the NAS drives show up just fine in network link too. Everything is Ethernet connected. But I see anomalies. If I reboot my machine, or even turn it off and switch it back on fairly soon after then I occasionally get a message about one of the drives being unable to connect. So I then go to 'this pc' and see a Red Cross through one of the drives. If I double click it then it either connects instantly or I will get the green bar filling for about 20-30 secs before it connects. I only have to do it once as after that access is instant every time I go to it. Now this doesn't happen all the time and it never happens if I turn the machine off and start it up after leaving it alone for an extended period. It just seems to be more likely after doing a restart or turning back on within minutes of it last being on.

but I do also notice that when I am in outlook and someone sends me a file (such as jpg pic) that I want to save to my NAS drives. I will click the attachment and select ' save as' and navigate to one of the NAS drives and it will not browse its contents straight away, you can kind of see it trying to open up and eventually after a few seconds it suddenly responds. And again it only occurs once, subsequent navigations all react instantly , for example I go into a second attachment to save down. It's hard to explain but I am inclined to think Windows 10 is just plain buggy . It's not as if the networking is a complete fail. It works but it's just unpredictable. My other Windows 7 machine (which I will never ever let Windows 10 get into it) behaves flawlessly with the NAS drives. They are always live and instantly accessible to it regardless of whether the machine has recently been on or restarted.

I dont think there are really any answers here as it's just seemingly a Windows 10 'thing' and maybe in future builds things will get better. I just wanted to share my observations in case anyone else is tearing their hair out over things like this. Sometimes it's re assuring to know your not alone!

cheers, Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Jan 12, 2016

2. Unable to set up mapped drives on my own PC or use previously mapped drives

I am a Microsoft Access developer whose customers often use mapped drives. To be able to develop my apps to fit their setup, I set up mapped drives on my own computer with the same drive letters as they have, but have now hit some problems and I'm afraid
    my explanation will be a bit vague in terms of the timing of when things went wrong. Some mapped drives (corresponding to customers I no longer have) stopped working a while back (as observed by a big red X in File Explorer), but I postponed sorting them out
    since they were no longer customers. I was still able to map a couple of new drives on my machine corresponding to those used by a new customer (I think that was the order of things). Those new drives now don't work, but that may be due to me now using Dropbox
    Business which has changed some things around and they were mapped to folders in Dropbox.

However, and this is the main point, I can no longer map any new drives to shared folders on my PC. I can share folders using "Give access to" from File Explorer (I'm on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update), but when I try to map that shared folder I get the
    following error message:

Problems found

file and print sharing resource (ALAN-PC) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts

Clicking on "See details" tells me, "Error code: 0x80070035. The network path was not found." and clicking on "Diagnose" just gives me the original error message above.

I've tried sharing the folder again ( C:\TestShare) and when I do that I am assured that "Your folder is shared" and when I click on "Show me all network network shares on this computer" I am shown all the folders I have previously shared, but if I double-click
    on the folder I just shared, I get "Windows cannot access \\ALAN-PC\TestShare". Again I get the option to Diagnose, but clicking that just gives me the original error message above. I get the same message if I click other items at Network > ALAN-PC in File
    Explorer.

Note one customer required that I log into his system using WatchGuard Firebox SSL VPN, so I have an extra item under Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections, but that works OK when I connect and my problems started occurring sometime
    after this was installed so I don't think this is the problem. I also have a vEthernet (Default Switch) item from when I was using Hyper-V several months ago.

I would be forever grateful if someone can show me what I need to do to be able to map drives on my own PC once again.

Alan Cossey Mark II, Jan 12, 2016
  3. Alan Cossey Mark II, Jan 12, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Unable to connect to mapped drives

10 is not buggy. Just that you have to treat it like a new car, and not go overboard on making a bunch of huge changes, that can cause any OS to break.

Unless you are physically running Windows 10, there is really nothing that we cannot answer, that has already been stated in various threads on this site. If you are having issues with Windows 7, I suggest that you go to sevenforums.com.

bro67, Jan 12, 2016
  5. Thanks for responding. Unfortunately I would say 10 is quite buggy (no OS is totally bug free). The high level of posts shows that. We fired up my mother in laws laptop running 10 to test and observed similar behaviour. The fact that 2 machines running Windows 7 and an older laptop (now sold) running vista doesn't do this points at Windows 10 being the issue. Also we have iOS devices/media servers/tv streaming boxes whilst all different OS but none of them displaying this intermittent access issue to the NAS shares it again singles out 10.

Cheers for the pointer on Windows 7 but no need to suggest sevenforums.com, I have no issues with 7, it's a great OS. Just mentioned 7 as a comparison.

cheers, Wayne

Scottyboy99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to connect to mapped drives

1. Unable to connect to mapped drives - Similar Threads - Unable connect mapped

2. Unable to map network drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to map network drive: I was recently having troubles with sshfs-win. Explorer just sometimes begins to hang, without any change to anything.I then ran the command `net use Y: /delete`. It removed the sshfs mapped drive. Now I cannot re-map the drive.How can I use the drive letter Y: again?The...
  3. Unable To Map Network Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable To Map Network Drive: I have two Windows 10 machines named Studio and Digital on an Ethernet network. I had Windows reinstalled on the Digital machine. From the Digital machine I can map a network drive on the Studio machine. From the Studio machine I am unable to map to the hard drive on the...
  4. Unable to map NAS drive

Unable to map NAS drive: I have a NAS drive (WD My Cloud Mirror) that was originally set up and mapped to an older laptop of mine. I have not used this NAS drive in a while. I recently dusted off the drive and tried to connect it to my new laptop when I ran into difficulties. The NAS drive is...
  5. Unable to disconnect Mapped drive

Unable to disconnect Mapped drive: I used to have all the network drives mapped using a GPO, however, I have now moved all the network files into the cloud (G Suite). Therefore, I have removed the GPO that mapped the drives and use Google's File Stream, which automatically maps the G: drive. Whenever, I log...
  6. Unable to connect to mapped drives

Unable to connect to mapped drives: I am having trouble connecting to previously accessible mapped drives. Other office PCs are able to connect without difficulty. I am on a wired Ethernet connection and don't have any difficulty connecting to internet or networked printers. I can RDP to the server that the...
  7. Unable Map Network drive

Unable Map Network drive: I have two computers running windows 10. One system can map a drive to my Netgear device while the other fails with the message "System Error 64 has occurred. The network path was not found." I have tried various solutions on the WEB without success. Is there a local...
  8. Unable to Map drives

Unable to Map drives: Hi all I have an asus laptop with 16GB ram and using win10 Pro x64. version 1803 Built 17134.285 I have recently reset the laptop keeping my files intact. Now when I go to map a Drive I cant see any pc's on the network, but if I go to win explorer I can see the the shared...
  9. Unable to map a network drive

Unable to map a network drive: My computer has happily been displaying my NAS drive up until today. I can see the device properties yet when i try to map it i am tol cannot map as its mapped with another credential or login. I checked the Reg Edit as per other forum suggestions and it isnt mapped I...
  10. Unable to Map network drives

Unable to Map network drives: Good afternoon I am running a laptop with dual- booted Win10 (1709) systems. Both Win10 installs have been carried out in the last 3 days because Win10 (1703) would/could not update to 1709. Both systems have the same basic set of applications and security software. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc always says unable to map drives when they are mapped