Windows 10: Unable to connect to remote desktop: "The smart card service is not running"

Discus and support Unable to connect to remote desktop: "The smart card service is not running" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to use a remote desktop connection with a smart card reader on Parallels Windows 10. Every time I try to connect I receive the error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by R_147, Mar 19, 2020.

1. R_147 Win User

Unable to connect to remote desktop: "The smart card service is not running"

I am trying to use a remote desktop connection with a smart card reader on Parallels Windows 10. Every time I try to connect I receive the error message "The smart card service in not running. Please start the smart card service and try again.". I have checked in Services and the 'Smart Card' service IS running. The USB smart card reader is also connected in device manager. I've also updated the drivers. I'd be grateful if anyone could help me figure out how to get past this error message.

Thanks.

:)

R_147, Mar 19, 2020
  2. DaTexican Win User

How to uncheck Smart Cards checkbox in Remote Desktop Connection

I am looking to uncheck the Smart Cards box in Remote Desktop Connections Local Resources > Devices and resources > More... area.

I attempted this by disabling this in GPO under Windows Components/Remote Desktop Services/Remote Desktop Session Host/Device and Resource Redirection/Do not allow smart card device redirection however this seems to be a seperate setting.

I need this fix to be able to be used in a enterprise enviornment, not a one off computer.

DaTexican, Mar 19, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

4. Mel Tar Win User

how do I delete a desktop off remote desktop connection?

Hi,

To disable Remote Desktop Connection, please follow the steps below:

• On the Start menu, search for SystemPropertiesRemote.exe
      and hit Enter to open the Remote tab of the
      System Properties options. Type in the password if prompted.
    • Under Remote Desktop, you will see three options:

• Don’t allow remote connections to this computer

• Allow remote connections to this computer

• Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (recommended)
    • Select the desired option, and click on Apply, and then
      OK
      to save the settings.
    Let us know how it goes.

Mel Tar, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to connect to remote desktop: "The smart card service is not running" - Similar Threads - Unable connect remote

2. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  3. Unable to connect remote desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect remote desktop: Unable to connect remote desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-remote-desktop/4ec89276-b78e-4f88-9193-51c33f2d1a4e
  4. Unable to connect remote desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect remote desktop: Unable to connect remote desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-remote-desktop/4ec89276-b78e-4f88-9193-51c33f2d1a4e
  5. Unable to connect using Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect using Remote Desktop: We have one user in the office whose computer cannot be connected to via Remote Desktop Connection. All other users' workstations can be connected to without problem. RDC worked fine for this user until about 2 weeks ago, then he simply couldn't connect. Attempts to do so...
  6. Connect a smart card

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connect a smart card: I am using the digital signature on the remote desktop user and it shows the error "Connect a smart card"how to resolve the issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connect-a-smart-card/604042bc-0da2-4fbf-92a7-ee8e5150d5f7
  7. smart card service

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    smart card service: Since the latest update of win10 the service is not found among the services. Is it possible to get this function back ? The result is that a smart card reader from the bank no longer functions. thank you...
  8. smart card services

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    smart card services: Sinds de laatste windows update is bij de lokale services geen smart card service aanwezig, hierdoor werken card readers niet meer, kan dit terug geinstalleerd worden ?...
  9. How to uncheck Smart Cards checkbox in Remote Desktop Connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to uncheck Smart Cards checkbox in Remote Desktop Connection: I am looking to uncheck the Smart Cards box in Remote Desktop Connections Local Resources > Devices and resources > More... area. I attempted this by disabling this in GPO under Windows Components/Remote Desktop Services/Remote Desktop Session Host/Device and Resource...
  10. Connect a Smart Card

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Connect a Smart Card: I can't make any changes on my ASUS Laptop, every time I tried "connect a smart card" appear. This is a personal computer and I didn't use any smart card. Please help to sort this out. Thanks in advance. 30636

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remote desktop not reading remote smart card

2. the smart card service is not available when remote desktop on