Windows 10: Unable to connect to USB in-circuit emulator

Discus and support Unable to connect to USB in-circuit emulator in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm doing some embedded development targeting an Atmel AVR CPU. The workflow is, I write the program in C, compile it, download it to the chip via a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Involute, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Involute Win User

Unable to connect to USB in-circuit emulator

I'm doing some embedded development targeting an Atmel AVR CPU. The workflow is, I write the program in C, compile it, download it to the chip via a USB-interfaced in-circuit emulator (Atmel-ICE), and it runs in the chip. This was working fine up until a couple of days ago when the IDE stopped being able to connect to the ICE. When I plug the ICE into a USB port, Windows beeps in acknowledgement, and it shows up in device manager (under Atmel > Atmel-ICE Data Gateway). The IDE vendor (Imagecraft) claims this is all they should need to connect to it, but they can tell from a DebugView log that the IDE isn't finding the ICE, so they don't know what the problem is. I've also tried using Atmel's IDE (Atmel Studio), but it has the same problem. So this looks like a Windows issue. I've tried rebooting the PC, disabling Malwarebytes, reinstalling the IDE, and swapping out the ICE for another one, but no luck.

This is really killing me, so I'd really appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

:)

Involute, Mar 1, 2018

2. WIn7 32-bit:: Unable to connect to WM 6.1 emulator via ActiveSync

Hi,

In order to sync with the Windows Mobile 6.1 emulator, you need to install WMDC and this needed to be installed before the emulator. Then once it is installed, there is an additional option for the connections to select DMA which allows you to sync with a
    device. Further you have to open the emulator and cradle/uncradle it to begin sync chronization.

Pocket PC FAQ - Pocket PC, Handheld PC and Windows CE FAQs, Reviews, Commentary, etc!

Pocket PC Talk - Your place for Pocket PC News

Chris De Herrera, Mar 1, 2018
  3. WMTA1 Win User
    WIn7 32-bit:: Unable to connect to WM 6.1 emulator via ActiveSync

Hi RealBigP!

I am going to go ahead and mark this thread as answered since we have not received any further information from you. We can still provide additional information and tips when you come back to this thread with more information. Marking threads as answered
    helps other customers searching on the same or similar issues. This thread stays viewable and accessible for additional postings either way.

Thanks!

Thank you from the Microsoft Windows Phone Team

Windows | Official Site for Microsoft Windows 10 Home & Pro OS, laptops, PCs, tablets & more

WMTA1, Mar 1, 2018
  4. Unable to connect to USB in-circuit emulator

Hi Involute

Any chance you are using restore points and can restore from a date before the issue started?

If you look under Window Updates, view installed update history, what software or drivers have been installed in the last couple of days?

Are you aware of any other changes, maybe a software update to your AV (Malwarebytes or other), a new product / app you may have installed.

Caledon Ken, Mar 1, 2018
  5. Involute Win User
    All good suggestions, Caledon. Thanks. Unfortunately, the problem appeared on 2/28 (though things were working fine earlier that day), my most recent restore point before then was on 2/26, and Windows fails when trying to restore from it (I've configured Windows now to make a restore point every day, fwiw). My last Windows updates were on the 26th, too, so things shouldn't have been working on the 28th if that were the problem. I can't think of anything else that happened that day that could have triggered this.

I've tried using both ICEs on another system (Win7), and they both fail there, too, so it's possible my hardware killed them both. I know how damning that seems, but I haven't found anything suspicious in the setup. I've ordered a couple of replacements, just in case.

Involute, Mar 2, 2018
  6. Might I suggest you look at Macrium Reflect. It is free and reliable. I would use it instead of restore points.

Will be interesting to see how replacements run.

Good luck.

Caledon Ken, Mar 2, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    One cure for a device that's not working can be to uninstall it in Device Manager then let windows detect new hardware and reinstall it. I'm not familiar with this device, Windows may not have drivers for it so you may be asked to provide the drivers yourself. Did you have to when you first installed it? If so, make sure you have the drivers to hand before you try.

Then again, your suspicion of a physical failure may be correct. If so, the above won't help *Sad

Bree, Mar 2, 2018
  8. Involute Win User

I do a complete system backup every night with Acronis. Unfortunately, it amounts to about 1.5TB, so I can only save one day’s worth on my 4TB external drive (it needs enough space to write the current backup before it deletes the previous one). I might be able to have it back up the Windows folder separately, though, which would allow me to keep more copies of that. Why would that be better than System Restore?

Involute, Mar 2, 2018
  9. Involute Win User
    The IDE comes with a driver installer just to make sure a user can have the right driver. I’ve run it multiple times, though I haven’t explicitly uninstalled the driver since the installer offers to repair the driver if you run it and it detects it’s already installed. I suppose explicit uninstallation is worth a try.

The new ICE arrives tomorrow, but I’m leery of installing it without knowing how the previous ones got borked first, and nothing’s jumping out at me from my hardware, which is a single chip on a breadboard.

Involute, Mar 2, 2018
  10. Macrium Reflect works, like Acronis. System Restore is iffy, yours just failed, and restore points are deleted with Feature updates. Macrium has ability to backup System components. I don't use Acronis but understand it is a quality product as well.

I bought Macrium and it has image guardian which is supposed to prevent ransomware from attacking backups. (I haven't tested).

I have my system in separate partition and backup weekly.

Caledon Ken, Mar 2, 2018
  11. Involute Win User
    It turns out the ICE was somehow activating both the Atmel Gateway and LIBUSB drivers in Device Manager, and that seems to have been causing the problem. Uninstalling LIBUSB allows the ICE to now be seen by both my IDEs. Problem solved, for now.

Involute, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to connect to USB in-circuit emulator - Similar Threads - Unable connect USB

2. Unable to Install Emulators

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to Install Emulators: I'm unable to install BlueStacks. It always says:"This app can't run on this deviceThis app can't run because it causes security or performance issues on Windows. A new version may be available. Check with your software provider for an updated version that runs on this...
  3. Serial connection for terminal emulation software

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Serial connection for terminal emulation software: I am trying to identify the serial COM port number for my connection. I need to enter that value into my terminal emulation software. In previous Windows versions the COM port number was displayed in the device manager tree when the physical connection was made. Thank you...
  4. COM Port emulation on USB Port

COM Port emulation on USB Port: I am trying to hook a device to my computer so that I can program it. In order to do this I need a COM Port... Since NO COM Ports are created in Windows 10 how do I map a COM Port onto a USB Port... I have read a previous post and followed it to the letter... However when...
  5. Unable to connect Phone to PC through USB

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to connect Phone to PC through USB: when I plug my pone up o laptop to sync my its saying USB not recognized I just got this laptop PLEASE Help ***Original title: hp laptop*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-phone-to-pc-through-usb/0fb3f3e9-34b5-4d29-a4ca-09896bf1fc63
  6. Unable to connect Android smartphone via USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to connect Android smartphone via USB: Since the latest Windows update I haven’t been able to connect my SAMSUNG Mobile USB Remote NDIS Network Device I received a message that "Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)" Updating drivers didn't help here. How to sort it out?...
  7. emulators

in Windows 10 Gaming
    emulators: I downloaded blue stacks emulator . worked fine . then it started glitching . uninstalled reinstalled .. older version newest version . tried different emulators all with the same result...
  8. Circuit Command Line Utilities

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Circuit Command Line Utilities: I opened by "Hidden Icons" on the task bar and noticed a new ICON called "Circuit Bridge" When I open it, it shows files such as "Circuit Command Line Utility". WHat is this and how could it suddenly appear at this location?...
  9. Emulator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Emulator: Is it possible to play a game for Windows 98, Me on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/emulator/1b9dfc82-aaa3-4440-8afb-8a46949469f2
  10. Windows 10 unable to detect USB pendrive except USB connection.

Windows 10 unable to detect USB pendrive except USB connection.: Yesterday morning my computer cannot detect my pendrive. I tried every USB port but none of them works. I'm also uninstalled & reinstalled portable device & universal serial bus controller drivers but even this method failed to work. Weirdly, my computer can detect my...