Windows 10: Unable to connect to Wi-Fi with xml profile when password starts with blank space

Discus and support Unable to connect to Wi-Fi with xml profile when password starts with blank space in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I am using Windows10 and my Wi-Fi card is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265. My ESSID (I will call it 'MY_NETWORK_SSID') has a password that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Edgaryo1, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Edgaryo1 Win User

Unable to connect to Wi-Fi with xml profile when password starts with blank space

Hello I am using Windows10 and my Wi-Fi card is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265.

My ESSID (I will call it 'MY_NETWORK_SSID') has a password that starts with a blank space (let's say ' StartsWithWhiteSpace'), if I do the connection manually it works fine and I get connected, but fails if I do the connection with netsh command using the profile:

Manually:

Select 'MY_NETWORK_SSID' and then use the password ' StartsWithWhiteSpace' and I get connected

By profile:

1.- Once logged manually I export the profile to a file

netsh wlan export profile file=. key=clear

2.- This will generate an xml file, that we can use to connect (I disconnect and forget the network before using the profile)

* netsh wlan add profile filename=c:\profile_password_starts_with_white_space.xml

* netsh wlan connect name='MY_NETWORK_SSID' interface='my_wireless_card_name'

With this 2 steps I am able to connect, but only if the password dont have spaces on it.

The following is the profile generated by: netsh wlan export profile file=. key=clear once I successfully logged manually using the password that starts with one space (I was expecting this same profile will work to login again but it always fails)

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <WLANProfile xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/networking/WLAN/profile/v1">
    <name>MY_NETWORK_SSID</name>
    <SSIDConfig>
    <SSID>
    <hex>6D746C70617461625DA3546455727473</hex>
    </SSID>
    </SSIDConfig>
    <connectionType>ESS</connectionType>
    <connectionMode>auto</connectionMode>
    <MSM>
    <security>
    <authEncryption>
    <authentication>WPA2PSK</authentication>
    <encryption>AES</encryption>
    <useOneX>false</useOneX>
    </authEncryption>
    <sharedKey>
    <keyType>passPhrase</keyType>
    <protected>false</protected>
    <keyMaterial> StartsWithWhiteSpace</keyMaterial>
    </sharedKey>
    </security>
    </MSM>
    <MacRandomization xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/networking/WLAN/profile/v3">
    <enableRandomization>false</enableRandomization>
    <randomizationSeed>1191479147</randomizationSeed>
    </MacRandomization>
    </WLANProfile>

Why the own profile generated by the netsh tool doesn't work?

How to successfully connect with passwords with white spaces. Note I have already tried (&#32; and \u0020) to represent the white spaces

:)

Edgaryo1, Sep 25, 2019
  2. Edgaryo1 Win User

Unable to connect to Wi-Fi with xml profile when password starts with blank space

Hello I am using Windows10 and my Wi-Fi card is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265.

My ESSID (I will call it 'MY_NETWORK_SSID') has a password that starts with a blank space (let's say ' StartsWithWhiteSpace'), if I do the connection manually it works fine and I get connected, but fails if I do the connection with netsh command using the
    profile:

Manually:

Select 'MY_NETWORK_SSID' and then use the password ' StartsWithWhiteSpace' and I get connected

By profile:

1.- Once logged manually I export the profile to a file

netsh wlan export profile file=. key=clear

2.- This will generate an xml file, that we can use to connect (I disconnect and forget the network before using the profile)

* netsh wlan add profile filename=c:\profile_password_starts_with_white_space.xml

* netsh wlan connect name='MY_NETWORK_SSID' interface='my_wireless_card_name'

With this 2 steps I am able to connect, but only if the password dont have spaces on it.

The following is the profile generated by: netsh wlan export profile file=. key=clear once I successfully logged manually using the password that starts with one space (I was expecting this same profile will work to login again but it always fails)

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<WLANProfile xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/networking/WLAN/profile/v1">

<SSIDConfig>

<SSID>

<hex>6D746C70617461625DA3546455727473</hex>

</SSID>

</SSIDConfig>

<connectionType>ESS</connectionType>

<connectionMode>auto</connectionMode>

<MSM>

<security>

<authEncryption>

<authentication>WPA2PSK</authentication>

<encryption>AES</encryption>

<useOneX>false</useOneX>

</authEncryption>

<sharedKey>

<keyType>passPhrase</keyType>

<protected>false</protected>

<keyMaterial>
    StartsWithWhiteSpace</keyMaterial>

</sharedKey>

</security>

</MSM>

<MacRandomization xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/networking/WLAN/profile/v3">

<enableRandomization>false</enableRandomization>

<randomizationSeed>1191479147</randomizationSeed>

</MacRandomization>

</WLANProfile>

Why the own profile generated by the netsh tool doesn't work?

How to successfully connect with passwords with white spaces. Note I have already tried ( and \u0020) to represent the white spaces

Edgaryo1, Sep 27, 2019
  3. Edgaryo1 Win User

Could you share the link where is says that. However if that rule is correct then Windows10 has a big bug cause I am able to connect to the WiFi network which password starts with a blank.

Why it would be different from the profile than manually?

Edgaryo1, Sep 27, 2019
  4. Saltgrass Win User

I checked for password rules and one site says no blank spaces at beginning or end..

Saltgrass, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to connect to Wi-Fi with xml profile when password starts with blank space - Similar Threads - Unable connect xml

2. Unable to open File Explorer when Connected to Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open File Explorer when Connected to Wi-Fi: I am unable to access file explorer when I am connected to Wi-fi. However, if I disconnect from Wi-Fi I am able to access it by clicking on the File Explorer Icon or Pressing the Windows key + E.In order to open file explorer I have to first click on recycle bin and then...
  3. Unable to open File Explorer when Connected to Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open File Explorer when Connected to Wi-Fi: I am unable to access file explorer when I am connected to Wi-fi. However, if I disconnect from Wi-Fi I am able to access it by clicking on the File Explorer Icon or Pressing the Windows key + E.In order to open file explorer I have to first click on recycle bin and then...
  4. Wi-Fi not connect when starts up

Wi-Fi not connect when starts up: Whenever I boot up my device, the internet is not connected even thought it is on. I have to turn off and on again in order to connect to internet. It doesn't take many times to do that but it is really bother me. Thank you!...
  5. Wi-Fi not connect when starts up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi not connect when starts up: Whenever I boot up my device, the internet is not connected even thought it is on. I have to turn off and on again in order to connect to internet. It doesn't take many times to do that but it is really bother me. Thank you!...
  6. Wi-Fi password?

Wi-Fi password?: How can I find my Wi-Fi password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-password/092c31a3-3d3b-4192-afa6-8b68dbd3d598
  7. Unable to connect to Wi-Fi today

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to connect to Wi-Fi today: My Galaxy Notebook SM-W720NZKBBTU connected to the internet one day then not the next. Only other device is a PC which is working properly. I disconnected the router and started it up again. There is not even an option of wireless networks to connect to. Nothing! Can...
  8. Unable to connect to Wi-Fi

Unable to connect to Wi-Fi: Good afternoon, Following the recent Windows 10 Update it took much longer for my PC to establish an internet connection. This then became intermittent and now it won't do it at all. It will say it's connected to the network, and that it has internet access although it...
  9. Unable to connect to Wi-Fi

Unable to connect to Wi-Fi: I am having problem in connecting to Wi-fi as the icon went missing.Earlier the wifi was connected but now since i tried to reset the connection I am unable to connect.Also its showing this as network status.Please help.[ATTACH]...
  10. Unable to connect to Wi-Fi

Unable to connect to Wi-Fi: Hey so my internet seems to flicker between working and having a mini x on the icon which means theres no internet connection. Many sites and videos say to go under change adaptor options and enable Wi-Fi but that icon doesn't even appear on it. Is there a way to bring it...